Dolphins will take Jake Long with #1 pick!

LONG GETS $30 MILLION GUARANTEED

Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2008, 1:16 p.m.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that tackle Jake Long will receive $30 million guaranteed as part of his five-year, $57.5 million deal with the Miami Dolphins.

Long will get $2 million less in guaranteed money and $3.5 million less in total money than Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell received a year ago, but Long is tied up for one less season.

And since different people interpret the term “guaranteed” differently, the only way to compare Long’s deal to Russell’s is to line ‘em up and parse the language.

For Parcells, it’s a win because he paid less money. For Long (and his agent), it’s a win because the deal covers one less season.

We’d still love to know whether Vernon Gholston had a meaningful chance to take less money than that.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/22/...ion-guaranteed/

----------------------------------------------------------------------

that is a damn good job by parcells.........nice to see the tide turning and rookie guarantees being pulled back in.........this will obviously trickle down the draft

I don't mind this at all. I'd much rather have Schobel go up against a rookie LT, than have Trent being chased down by Chris Long or Gholston, who I think will have more of an immediate impact. Jake Long is very good, but he's no Joe Thomas

When the jets/pats get each of those people then we can go back to worrying about that. :P

Think this means they'll announce the pick immediately at 3 p.m. Saturday and save us ten minutes of nonsense at the start of the draft? I don't.

Nah, the team will like the commentators talk them up for the ten minutes. It seems pretty standard. When you have the worst record in the league, I think they like hearing positive things nationally for a change.