My Pledge...

stewy23

This goes out to all you knuckleheads who think that it would be a good idea to draft a Tight End (I don't care who it is) in round 2...

NO! There is no other way to say it. It's a bad idea. We have Robert Royal (ehhh) and 5 other guys who play that position. We do not need a Tight End to "open up our offense" or be there becasue "Trent likes to rely on his Tight End." Every draft-related thread around here is littered with this same insane idea. It's not going to happen...

Here is what I'm willing to do. If the Bills draft a Tight End in rounds 1, 2 or 3 I will change (until the '09 draft) my signature to:

I AM AN IDIOT AND I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO (Insert name(s) here)!

If I am right, and somebody is willing to take this little wager, you have to put "IN ROBERT ROYAL I TRUST!" in your sig until next year.

I know it's stupid, but it's time for people to put their money (not really) where their mouth (signature) is!

Any takers?

This goes out to all you knuckleheads who think that it would be a good idea to draft a Tight End (I don't care who it is) in round 2...

Any takers?

Not me. I have no problem drafting a TE in rounds 2 or 3 if one of sufficient merit is available. Royal does not inspire confidence as a reliable threat in the passing attack. To state the obvious, we have quantity but not true quality. I will not have a problem if two of our first three picks are WR and TE.

NO! There is no other way to say it. It's a bad idea. We have Robert Royal (ehhh) and 5 other guys who play that position. We do not need a Tight End to "open up our offense" or be there becasue "Trent likes to rely on his Tight End." Every draft-related thread around here is littered with this same insane idea. It's not going to happen...

Here is what I'm willing to do. If the Bills draft a Tight End in rounds 1, 2 or 3 I will change (until the '09 draft) my signature to:

If I am right, and somebody is willing to take this little wager, you have to put "IN ROBERT ROYAL I TRUST!" in your sig until next year.

I know it's stupid, but it's time for people to put their money (not really) where their mouth (signature) is!

Any takers?

I'm in. If we trade out of the 2nd or 3rd though I should make it clear we are talking the Bills first 3 picks, no matter the round?

I think we're not drafting a TE till round 3, and we're only drafting one there if one of the guys we really like is still on the board. there are really only about 4 decent TE's in this whole draft - I think signing a few pass catching types was to reduce that need and we'll only strike if the right guy is there in a good value spot

Maybe Royal should go to the CFL so he'd be more of a Redzone target. I know it's tough getting your feet inbounds within 10 yards.

Royal has singlehandedly cost us 3 games, and would have been 4 if Reed didn't catch that ball in Washington. He has talent, but his mouth is running so much, he can't even hear himself think.

Royal has singlehandedly cost us 3 games

Name those games!!!... and the error of his ways. And, at the same time, let us how many other Bills you're letting off the hook for failure to carry out their assignments in those same games.

Maybe Royal should go to the CFL so he'd be more of a Redzone target. I know it's tough getting your feet inbounds within 10 yards. Royal has singlehandedly cost us 3 games, and would have been 4 if Reed didn't catch that ball in Washington. He has talent, but his mouth is running so much, he can't even hear himself think.

Classic

Any takers?

I'll tell you what, I'll change my AVATAR to Robbie Royal if we dont take one in the first 3 rounds. There isnt even a lock true 2nd round quality WR this year and the coral of TE we have will never contribute along the lines of a Whitten, Gonzalas, or a Gates.

I will take that bet....shall we say if the bills take a tight end anywhere in rounds 1-3?

Round 1 - Not going to happen

Round 2 - possibility

Round 3 - very good chance of happening

Another possibiliy would be the bills using a 4th rounder and trading down into the 3rd.....if they do that it is still considered a 3rd round pick...agreed?

by the way....I am one of those insane people who think Trent Edwards needs a quality TE because of his style of play......and I stand by that.

You can call me a knuckle head all you want but it's the Bills brass who will be the knuckleheads should they choose to ignore this position once again this draft. I don't know how the draft will shake down but I'm starting to get a good feeling about Martellus Bennett in the 2nd. Here's a guy who is 20 years old, probably a little raw, but with Teyo Johnson or Courtney Anderson playing along Robert "freaking" Royal for now, we can ease him in slowly at first. I know, people want an instant starter in round 2, but I believe Bennett will be a very nice player given a little time, and he already is a decent blocker! You never know, he could make an impact immediately..........

I'll bet that Kelly still goes in the 1st round. A guy who once was considered at #11 drops to the 3rd round because he got mad and didn't run a 4.4 at 230 lbs.??? You gotta love the retard rodeo around here. WATCH THE GAME TAPE!!!!! As for Bennett, I still say he has too much upside to last until the 3rd round.

I'm in. If we trade out of the 2nd or 3rd though I should make it clear we are talking the Bills first 3 picks, no matter the round?
I will take that bet....shall we say if the bills take a tight end anywhere in rounds 1-3?

Round 1 - Not going to happen

Round 2 - possibility

Round 3 - very good chance of happening

Another possibiliy would be the bills using a 4th rounder and trading down into the 3rd.....if they do that it is still considered a 3rd round pick...agreed?

by the way....I am one of those insane people who think Trent Edwards needs a quality TE because of his style of play......and I stand by that.

Fair enough. I'll put it this way:

If the Bills draft a Tight End in Rounds 1, 2 or 3 I lose the bet. OR If the Bills draft a Tight End within their first 3 picks (regardless of round) I lose the bet. Follow?

A few people got on this thread and kept singing their "Tight End in Round 2" tune but they couldn't man up (or woman up) to take the wager! I'm shocked.

Here's what my sig "might" look like:

I AM AN IDIOT AND I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO BuffaloBilliever, ndirish1978 & John from Hemet!

Is there no one else!?! IS THERE NO ONE ELSE!?!? (picture Achilles in Troy)

I'll bet that Kelly still goes in the 1st round. A guy who once was considered at #11 drops to the 3rd round because he got mad and didn't run a 4.4 at 230 lbs.??? You gotta love the retard rodeo around here. WATCH THE GAME TAPE!!!!! As for Bennett, I still say he has too much upside to last until the 3rd round.

Yep, Kiper still has Kelly at #23.

Bennett's going in the 2nd Round--to us.

I think we're not drafting a TE till round 3, and we're only drafting one there if one of the guys we really like is still on the board. there are really only about 4 decent TE's in this whole draft - I think signing a few pass catching types was to reduce that need and we'll only strike if the right guy is there in a good value spot

So you think we're drafting a Tight End in round 3? Come on, take the bet.

I say no way. IF we take a Tight End it's not going to be until LATE in the draft.

I'll put "I'm an idiot and should have listened to Stewy" as my signature should no TE be drafted within the 1st 3 picks. In truth though, the guys doing the picking will be the real idiots for not grabbing a guy who can control the middle of the field. I see 4-6 TE's in this class who would be instant upgrades for us and hope we finally snag one.

Name those games!!!... and the error of his ways. And, at the same time, let us how many other Bills you're letting off the hook for failure to carry out their assignments in those same games.

1) 2006 Season opener vs New England.......2 huge penalties, one on a first down catch on the edge of game winning field goal range...since he's had so many boneheaded penalties, it was either an unsportsmanlike, or a block from behind, 5 yards behind the play.

2) The Tennessee Two Step......yes, I didn't think it was possible, but Robert Royal covered the entire End Zone in 2 steps. How someone can fail to land in bounds with nobody covering them, and has 10 yards to do it, I'll never know.

3) Please don't make me look through every game summary! The point is, Royal makes BONEHEADED mistakes at crucial times, while he never seems to make a play when needed. I've watched this team for 3 decades, and the only people that came as close to frustrating me were Chris Burkett and Ruben Brown. Brown is an all-pro, and Burkett at least could make some plays to offset his faults.

The best asset Robert Royal brings is by staying in the backfield to max protect and chip. There was a reason Washington was laughing when we signed him to that contract. I'm not one to rip players......but I swear to Jesus I would choke this guy if I was on the field with him during some of his debacles. I have more faith in JP.