My Pledge...

stewy23

So you think we're drafting a Tight End in round 3? Come on, take the bet.

I say no way. IF we take a Tight End it's not going to be until LATE in the draft.

I think we only start considering drafting a TE in round 3 - but it may not be until round 4 since we don't really have any sense of these guys true value and what we've addressed at that point. If a guy we like is still happens to be available, I think we probably take him. The odds of that are probably pretty low since there are probably only 2 or 3 guys we really like in the TE class, so I'm not betting anything since I don't know who's on the board still in the 3rd. It'll be at least a little clearer after the first day of the draft, rounds 1 and 2.

This goes out to all you knuckleheads who think that it would be a good idea to draft a Tight End (I don't care who it is) in round 2...

NO! There is no other way to say it. It's a bad idea. We have Robert Royal (ehhh) and 5 other guys who play that position. We do not need a Tight End to "open up our offense" or be there becasue "Trent likes to rely on his Tight End." Every draft-related thread around here is littered with this same insane idea. It's not going to happen...

Here is what I'm willing to do. If the Bills draft a Tight End in rounds 1, 2 or 3 I will change (until the '09 draft) my signature to:

I AM AN IDIOT AND I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED TO (Insert name(s) here)!

If I am right, and somebody is willing to take this little wager, you have to put "IN ROBERT ROYAL I TRUST!" in your sig until next year.

I know it's stupid, but it's time for people to put their money (not really) where their mouth (signature) is!

Any takers?

If the BILLS don't find a better tight end than Robert Royal, we'll be on the outside of the playoffs looking in. Again. It's not a coincidence that we haven't had anything beyond mediocre TE play for a decade and haven't made the playoffs. It's also not a coincidence that we've sucked in the redzone for virtually an identical period of time.

Regardless of where they draft one, the better teams in the NFL have difference makers at the position. I'm not sure there was a playoff team in either conference last season who'd trade their backup tight end to Buffalo for Robert Royal, even if the BILLS paid the salary difference.