Brandon: Losman will be part of team in 2008

take it to the bank

“J.P.’s on this roster and he’s part of this organization,’’ Brandon said. “I’ve stated it a few weeks ago and I’ll state it again: we anticipate him being on this team. Sixty-four quarterbacks started in the NFL last year, I think the highest in about 30 years. You need two good ones. J.P. is under contract and he’s here and that’s how we’re approaching it.’’

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What he really means:

When free agency started, we found out that a good veteran backup gets between $2 million to $3 million per season. That's tons more than our starter. Since he's already under conract & Edwards won't rock the boat this season, there's no cost benefit in getting rid of JP, so he's staying another year. Next year, when we have to replace him, we'll extend Edwards at starting rates and then we can bring in a new guy at $2.5 mil a season as the backup. It's politics & salaries.

What he really means:

When free agency started, we found out that a good veteran backup gets between $2 million to $3 million per season. That's tons more than our starter. Since he's already under conract & Edwards won't rock the boat this season, there's no cost benefit in getting rid of JP, so he's staying another year. Next year, when we have to replace him, we'll extend Edwards at starting rates and then we can bring in a new guy at $2.5 mil a season as the backup. It's politics & salaries.

What he really really means. I want to trade JP but I have to say nice things publicly because I won't give him away for nothing. As soon as I state I want to trade him his value drops in the marketplace. Plus I run the risk of completely alienating him if I can't put a good deal together and end up hanging onto him. By saying this at this time I keep all my options open and protect JPs value in the marketplace.

You never show your hand, if he came out and said he wnted to trade him I be angry because there's no reason to say it.

It's similar to what Pac-Man just did to Tennessee. he said he won't apply for reinstatement until AFTER he's traded. Well since teams aren't sure if he WILL be reinstated that undermines his trade value to Tennessee since teams are less willing to risk a better draft pick on an uncertain situation. By saying that he effective reduced his chances of being traded this off-season because Tennessee can let him sit on the suspended list for free and they won't give him away for nothing either because it doesn't hurt them at all to keep him where he is. Pac Man doesn't want to play n Tenn but by showing his hand he f'ed it up for himself, once again proving the abyssal depth of his ignorance.

What he really really means. I want to trade JP but I have to say nice things publicly because I won't give him away for nothing. As soon as I state I want to trade him his value drops in the marketplace. Plus I run the risk of completely alienating him if I can't put a good deal together and end up hanging onto him. By saying this at this time I keep all my options open and protect JPs value in the marketplace.

You never show your hand, if he came out and said he wnted to trade him I be angry because there's no reason to say it.

It's similar to what Pac-Man just did to Tennessee. he said he won't apply for reinstatement until AFTER he's traded. Well since teams aren't sure if he WILL be reinstated that undermines his trade value to Tennessee since teams are less willing to risk a better draft pick on an uncertain situation. By saying that he effective reduced his chances of being traded this off-season because Tennessee can let him sit on the suspended list for free and they won't give him away for nothing either because it doesn't hurt them at all to keep him where he is. Pac Man doesn't want to play n Tenn but by showing his hand he f'ed it up for himself, once again proving the abyssal depth of his ignorance.

Ya i just don't see that at all and i think your reaching a bit

Nail on the head. No way that the Bills keep him.

JP has more Value to the bills as a backup then a low round pick. The Front office is smart enough to see this

I agree with this which is why I suspect that they ahve a set price floor. if they don't get what they want they'll keep him because he does have value to the team still. However, if someone waltzes in with a 3rd rd pick or better JP can start packing his bags

I have a feeling your going to be dissapointed. JP has more Value to the bills as a backup then a low round pick. The Front office is smart enough to see this

Exactly. Trading JP would just create another hole the team would have to fill, presumably with a draft pick, since it appears none of the veteran backups have caught the team's eye. So basically it would be trading a veteran backup for a draft pick to select a rookie backup--why do that?

Exactly. Trading JP would just create another hole the team would have to fill, presumably with a draft pick, since it appears none of the veteran backups have caught the team's eye. So basically it would be trading a veteran backup for a draft pick to select a rookie backup--why do that?

Well I guess it depends on what the team sees itself as this year since JP's contract is up after this year. If they see themselves as a legit contender NOW they should keep him for insurance. If they think they are a year away they should move the asset for a return and eliminate the inevitable Trent/JP conflagration.

We're going to trade JP and a 5th for Chad Johnson on draft day. Ocho cinco is gonna be pissed at first because he said he wanted to be traded to a playoff team. However, once he goes on TBD and reads all the threads about how with our schedule we will win at least 10 or 11 games he'll be happy. He'll probably even restructure his contract to play for less money so that we can extend evans.

Well I guess it depends on what the team sees itself as this year since JP's contract is up after this year. If they see themselves as a legit contender NOW they should keep him for insurance. If they think they are a year away they should move the asset for a return and eliminate the inevitable Trent/JP conflagration.

There were no weasel words in Brandon's statements. He said they plan to keep JP, period. Also, I do not anticipate any TE/JP conflagration. Last season, JP quietly accepted the role of backup so it is not in JP's best interest to be the malcontent in his last year of contract.

The only debate that may happen is one that will erupt within the fans if Trent doesn't perform well in the first half of the season.

Once again, I agree with Brandon's reasoning on it's face: why make next year's problem this year's problem?

As far as "what happens if(insert trade rumor here)": well, I suppose any offer will be listened to for any player, any time, not just offers for JP. Listening costs nothing, provided that it's kept confidential. There have been a zillion trade rumors for this team since around 85, when we actually started getting players other teams might actually want. The media loves to speculate because it sells their product.

If anything is going to happen regarding JP, then I would bet that it happens on draft day.

I have a feeling your going to be dissapointed. JP has more Value to the bills as a backup then a low round pick. The Front office is smart enough to see this

I can't say that I would be dissapointed either way. I do think that JP was a good soldier last year, but it might be hard for him to keep that up for another season.

That being said, Trent is obviously not very durable, so priority number 1 should be to have an experienced back-up in place, whether it is JP Losman or another veteran.

Unless of course Hamdan beats them both out.

Once again, I agree with Brandon's reasoning on it's face: why make next year's problem this year's problem?

As far as "what happens if(insert trade rumor here)": well, I suppose any offer will be listened to for any player, any time, not just offers for JP. Listening costs nothing, provided that it's kept confidential. There have been a zillion trade rumors for this team since around 85, when we actually started getting players other teams might actually want. The media loves to speculate because it sells their product.

If anything is going to happen regarding JP, then I would bet that it happens on draft day.

That sounds like an expert opinion if I ever heard one...

Certinaly not an ExpertOpinion.