Don't go chasin WR's

Wide receiver is probably one of the Bills biggest needs. That being said I don't think they should reach for one in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round. If there is one sitting at there draft spot that has value for that slot, then take him. If there isn't don't press the matter. After the draft there is always the 2nd line of free agency or trade. I don't think there is a WR worth taking with the 11th pick. If Kelly, Thomas, Sweed, Jackson or Manningham are gone in round 2 I would'nt take anyone else either. Hardy is a punk and I wouldn't draft him round 7.

Wide receiver is probably one of the Bills biggest needs. That being said I don't think they should reach for one in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd round. If there is one sitting at there draft spot that has value for that slot, then take him. If there isn't don't press the matter. After the draft there is always the 2nd line of free agency or trade. I don't think there is a WR worth taking with the 11th pick. If Kelly, Thomas, Sweed, Jackson or Manningham are gone in round 2 I would'nt take anyone else either. Hardy is a punk and I wouldn't draft him round 7.

I agree- I don't know if any of these WRs are 1# round worthy let alone the 11 pick- I'm taking the best Lineman OL or DL at 11- I'd consider CB but isn't one of the purposes of the cover two to eliminate the need for high price CBs- I was Disappointed the Bills didn't get one of the free agent WRs because the odds of a rookie WR or TE improving the Bills offense in 2008 is slim- well I still have hope the Bills might make a trade or get a good WR in the second phase of free agency.

They is no tight end worthy of the 11 pick much less a first rounder. I like Devin Thomas at 11 everything ive read and seen he makes the most sense.

I believe you mean "There is no tight end worthy of a first round pick much less the eleventh."

so you'd rather have the 5th, 6th, or 7th best WR in the draft than fill "one of the Bills biggest needs" with the top WR talent? just because your afraid Kiper and Co. will yell "REACH!"

if it's one of our biggest needs, then actual draft position becomes less important.

oh, and... Manningham? id rather take Sweed /Thomas at 11 than Manningham in the 3rd.

(edit: that being said, i wouldnt mind using the 11th pick on a Defensive player if the right guy is there)

I guess that depends upon how you define value. At the end of the day, it seems to me that the goal isn't to draft the best available athlete. Its not necessarily to fill needs, either. The point of the draft is to acquire some combination of players on draft day that, when considered as a group, make the biggest possible improvement to your football team. If you believe that drafting a WR at 11 allows you to do that, then that's what you should do, regardless of what Mel Kiper or Mike Mayock think of the guy you picked.

so you'd rather have the 5th, 6th, or 7th best WR in the draft than fill "one of the Bills biggest needs" with the top WR talent? just because your afraid Kiper and Co. will yell "REACH!"

if it's one of our biggest needs, then actual draft position becomes less important.

oh, and... Manningham? id rather take Sweed /Thomas at 11 than Manningham in the 3rd.

(edit: that being said, i wouldnt mind using the 11th pick on a Defensive player if the right guy is there)

I'd rather have the Bills line me up at WR than Manningham- he is a joke

You are absolutely right about the lack of first round value.

It's just that the need at WR is so great it HAS to be addressed within the first two rounds. Whether we reach in round one, or take the chance that a guy will be there in round two, the Bills MUST select a WR within the first two rounds.

Its nice to draft a WR and fill a need, but can someone tell me just how many 1st year WR's had an impact on their team? NONE of these receivers have "Sure Fire Stud" printed on their fannies..... I'd rather get good value at another position of need and wait till the 2-3 rounds to fill the WR hole.... then go after a veteran player after the June 1st cuts...

I was curious about that logic too.

Its nice to draft a WR and fill a need, but can someone tell me just how many 1st year WR's had an impact on their team? NONE of these receivers have "Sure Fire Stud" printed on their fannies..... I'd rather get good value at another position of need and wait till the 2-3 rounds to fill the WR hole.... then go after a veteran player after the June 1st cuts...

Yes, because a first year WR doesn't have impact on their team in the first year the Bills should pass on one because next year the Bills won't need a stud WR. :sick:

On the other hand, 2nd-3rd round WRs rarely make an impact, period, and the ones that do very often are just ordinary. That leads into another consideration for the Bills. With three decent or better WRs on the roster, how hard will it be for a 2nd-3rd round pick to ever earn a spot on the field amongst that group? It won't be easy, that's for sure, and there's a very high probability that the guy they select after R1 will never be more than a 4th WR on this roster. Yikes.

They is no tight end worthy of the 11 pick much less a first rounder. I like Devin Thomas at 11 everything ive read and seen he makes the most sense.

I'm a fan of Devin Thomas, who I think could make a good comparison to Anquin Boldin, but I think it would be a reach to draft him at #11. If we aren't looking at defense, that's where the value is at that spot, we should try to trade down with one of the teams in search of a OT.

If by miracle Sedrick Ellis is still on board don't mind the first paragraph.

a drafted WR will not greatly improve the team in 2008 --especially these can't miss studs mis broken legs and wrists.

The best WR talent of this generation barely made a dent last year as a rookie.

a drafted WR will not greatly improve the team in 2008 --especially these can't miss studs mis broken legs and wrists.

The best WR talent of this generation barely made a dent last year as a rookie.

but at this point, he doesnt need to produce 15 TDs necessarily. he just needs to be a threat that has to be covered well. open up lanes for evans and lynch (and parrish).

if we could get a guy who, when in the red zone, forces teams to put safety help to his side, we're in business.

but at this point, he doesnt need to produce 15 TDs necessarily. he just needs to be a threat that has to be covered well. open up lanes for evans and lynch (and parrish).

if we could get a guy who, when in the red zone, forces teams to put safety help to his side, we're in business.

Well, the rubber must meet the road. Whoever "Mystery WR #2" happens to be, the guy must show the ability to be a threat, not on paper, but on Sundays. There isn't a DC in the NFL that is going to game plan around a guy because of little more than his draft position and 40 times. He doesn't have to score once a game, but he has to consistently get open, beat the zone and man-to-man coverages, catch the ball, and not make rookie mistakes that cancel out all the previous.