Malcolm Kelly a 2nd rounder now.............

Does it matter? Are Malcolm Kelly and Jerry Rice the same person? No.

I'm not saying that Kelly won't make it in the NFL. He might. In fact, it would not suprise me if he posts much better times in private workouts between now and the draft. The argument is simply something that grates on my nerves. Every year, somebody gets compared to Jerry Rice or Emmitt Smith just because they ran underwhelming 40s. Well, guess what? Jerry Rice was an exceptional player in many ways, not the least of which was his exceptionally average 4.6 40 time 23 years ago.

Malcolm Kelly may turn out to be a great player. But to even begin to argue that he'll beat the odds because one exceptional player did it when many, MANY others didn't, just doesn't make sense to me.

How can one be exceptionally average?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying that Kelly won't make it in the NFL. He might. In fact, it would not suprise me if he posts much better times in private workouts between now and the draft. The argument is simply something that grates on my nerves. Every year, somebody gets compared to Jerry Rice or Emmitt Smith just because they ran underwhelming 40s. Well, guess what? Jerry Rice was an exceptional player in many ways, not the least of which was his exceptionally average 4.6 40 time 23 years ago.

Malcolm Kelly may turn out to be a great player. But to even begin to argue that he'll beat the odds because one exceptional player did it when many, MANY others didn't, just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't think any one knew Jerry Rice was going to be the best receiver all-time in the NFL when he was getting drafted. Same with Emmitt.

Interesting, what was the real time then?

And Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.63... But man, those 40 times tell everything about a Wide Reciever.

"What's that? He can't run a 4.4? Oh, well then he probably can't catch, jump, break tackles, lose defenders, run routes, go over the middle, or take a hit... I mean his game tape in college was great, but a weak 40? Nah... we'll settle for that guy who had one good year in college and did great at the combine..."

Oh Vernon Davis, we sadly know ye.

Larry Fitzgerald's pro day times:

4.51 and 2nd run-4.47

I will bet that Kelly will be a strong pro nevertheless. I wonder if 40 speed is not overrated.

I agree...Jerry Rice....Bobby Chandler..art monk....none of them speedburners-esp in the 40. Can the guy play WR?? Football ability is not the same as track and field ability.

It doesnt make any sense to me to judge a WRs ability on pure speed. THAT is what doesnt make sense.-Sure if all other things are equal--but when are they ever equal??

I don't think any one knew Jerry Rice was going to be the best receiver all-time in the NFL when he was getting drafted. Same with Emmitt.

I absolutely agree. The point is that the comparisons to a once-in-a-generation player gets old after the 10,000th time. I could just as easily say that he's the next Dewayne Jarrett. Doesn't make it anywhere close to being true.

It doesnt make any sense to me to judge a WRs ability on pure speed. THAT is what doesnt make sense.-Sure if all other things are equal--but when are they ever equal??

I agree. I'm simply sick of the comparisons every time someone bombs their 40. That's all.

Malcolm Kelly is a waste of breath. I thought this way before he posted this horrendous 40-time. Sweed is the best wide receiver in the draft for the Bills needs. DeSean Jackson is basically Lee Evans twin. Devin Thomas looks very promising as well, but he only had one good year in college, however it was an exceptional year. Still, Limas Sweed is incredibly fast for his size, posting in the low 4.4's and his wrist is fully healed.

Anyone who thinks 40-times are overrated, I agree with you; to an extent. The difference between a 4.4 and a 4.3, or 4.4 and 4.5, isn't as huge as some of the experts say. Someone who is a trained sprinter will without a doubt be able to run an incredible 40-time, but may not actually be quite that fast. In the 40-yard dash, it is all about having a clean start. That alone can secure you in the 4.3's if you are decently fast. However, the difference between a 4.7 and a 4.4 is gargantuan, no matter how you slice it. Clean start or not, a gap that large comes down to, a. being injured, or b. being incredibly slow, both of which make for a useless wide receiver. So basically, what I'm saying is that no one should even be thinking of the name Malcolm Kelly. First he must prove to be healthy and faster than a horrendous 4.7. A 40 time that low is just not acceptable.

Jerry Rice may not have been fast, but he wasn't that slow, and also it was harder to accurately measure 40-time's back then, and the accuracy can't be dependable. If Rice had ever posted a seemingly slow time, it was probably do to the inability to accurately measure it.

In conclusion, Kelly cannot be considered, and Sweed or Thomas are now a must for the Bills. There really is no choice at this point, unless we want to pull a Jets and draft someone useless.

Malcolm Kelly is a waste of breath. I thought this way before he posted this horrendous 40-time. Sweed is the best wide receiver in the draft for the Bills needs. DeSean Jackson is basically Lee Evans twin. Devin Thomas looks very promising as well, but he only had one good year in college, however it was an exceptional year. Still, Limas Sweed is incredibly fast for his size, posting in the low 4.4's and his wrist is fully healed.

Anyone who thinks 40-times are overrated, I agree with you; to an extent. The difference between a 4.4 and a 4.3, or 4.4 and 4.5, isn't as huge as some of the experts say. Someone who is a trained sprinter will without a doubt be able to run an incredible 40-time, but may not actually be quite that fast. In the 40-yard dash, it is all about having a clean start. That alone can secure you in the 4.3's if you are decently fast. However, the difference between a 4.7 and a 4.4 is gargantuan, no matter how you slice it. Clean start or not, a gap that large comes down to, a. being injured, or b. being incredibly slow, both of which make for a useless wide receiver. So basically, what I'm saying is that no one should even be thinking of the name Malcolm Kelly. First he must prove to be healthy and faster than a horrendous 4.7. A 40 time that low is just not acceptable.

Jerry Rice may not have been fast, but he wasn't that slow, and also it was harder to accurately measure 40-time's back then, and the accuracy can't be dependable. If Rice had ever posted a seemingly slow time, it was probably do to the inability to accurately measure it.

In conclusion, Kelly cannot be considered, and Sweed or Thomas are now a must for the Bills. There really is no choice at this point, unless we want to pull a Jets and draft someone useless.

I wouldn't compare Jackson to Evans, maybe Rosoe but not Lee.

Larry Fitzgerald's pro day times:

4.51 and 2nd run-4.47

Fitzgerald ran a 4.63 at the combine though. Ran better times at his pro day.

Kelly is almost certainly not a consideration at 11 anymore. But he ran a 4.68 and is coming off an injury. He'll be picked no later than the 2nd, and as high as the end of the first. He'd be a great value in the 2nd - great hands, toughness, blocking, routes, etc.

People should view this as good news for the Bills because if we don't go WR in the first, there will likely be a good one there still in the second. If we go WR at 11 it'll be Sweed or Thomas and I'd bet on Thomas.

This 40 times stuff drives me nuts. I'm not saying that Kelly is the pick at #11 even if he ran a 4.4, but this is STRAIGHT line speed, WITHOUT pads. If he has good hands, which he does and looked good in receiver drills, and runs good routes, and has the size to bully DB's, the 40 times shouldn't matter too much. These combines make everyone 40 times crazy. I don't think it's all that important. We have a speedster in Evans, with Kelly we would have a red zone threat, a possession receiver and large target for Trent to throw too.

Fitzgerald ran a 4.63 at the combine though. Ran better times at his pro day.

Kelly is almost certainly not a consideration at 11 anymore. But he ran a 4.68 and is coming off an injury. He'll be picked no later than the 2nd, and as high as the end of the first. He'd be a great value in the 2nd - great hands, toughness, blocking, routes, etc.

People should view this as good news for the Bills because if we don't go WR in the first, there will likely be a good one there still in the second. If we go WR at 11 it'll be Sweed or Thomas and I'd bet on Thomas.

I think this says it best. 40 times DO matter, but don't matter as much on the field as they are pointed to.

The GM's that draft on pure numbers are usually the least talented evaluators. It is an easy out to take a guy who runs a 4.4 because he can tell his big money owner "Look at that speed! He's should be a good one!" Then if the guy doesn't pan out, he at least has an alibi. "Well, the numbers were good...how were we to know?"

It isn't how fast they run, but how they do it. I'll admit, I was impressed with Thomas at the combine and I can see why he is on the hot list right now. Because Kelly ran slow today doesn't mean he isn't a heck of a player. A racehorse is a racehorse. If the Bills do like Kelly as much as I do, I agree that they now can look at a CB or a G early on, and they can hope Kelly is there in the 2nd, or do what they did with Poz and move up 10-15 spots to get a guy they really like. I was hoping Kelly would have come in at 4.55 or so, just to shake off the numbers guys...but the way he ran, there are probably a bunch of scouts biting their lips and grumbling, because he isn't a slam dunk to take as a value pick anymore. Rumors of concerns just became more of actual concerns.

Interesting, what was the real time then?

And Larry Fitzgerald ran a 4.63... But man, those 40 times tell everything about a Wide Reciever.

"What's that? He can't run a 4.4? Oh, well then he probably can't catch, jump, break tackles, lose defenders, run routes, go over the middle, or take a hit... I mean his game tape in college was great, but a weak 40? Nah... we'll settle for that guy who had one good year in college and did great at the combine..."

Oh Vernon Davis, we sadly know ye.

Linkage

Rice began his NFL career as a highly-touted prospect out of Mississippi Valley State in 1985.

But his 4.7 speed in the 40-yard dash caused teams to shy away from him on draft day before the San Francisco 49ers selected him with the 16th pick in the first round. Twenty years and 303 games later, Rice ranks among the Jim Brown’s and Walter Payton’s as one of the best to ever strap on the shoulder pads.

We have enough speedy WR's already, it's time to add size & strength. Speed didn't matter in the game vs the Browns in a snowstorm. Having a big WR in snowy conditions that can jump and out muscle defenders will matter.

Eggzactly!! :thumbsup:

True.

from draftdaddy.com:

Former Oklahoma wide receiver Malcolm Kelly, who has been hyped as a Top 10 pick by many in the mainstream media, has run in the 4.7's at his Pro Day. Things got so bad, his agent reportedly lost control and had to be ejected from Sooners' Pro day!

DD.comment: This is another reason to frequent Draft Daddy's blog over the "pay sites" littered with "false scouts". Since 2007 we've quoted 4 or 5 actual N.F.L. scouts in this blog regarding Malcolm Kelly and not one ever mentioned him as a first round pick. Not one! In 2007, one A.F.C. scout even compared him to former Texas Tech star Jarret Hicks (size/speedwise), who went undrafted. Also, we once reported his coaches at Oklahoma, who know his speed better than anyone else, begged Kelly to stay in school, feeling he was a 4th round caliber player and he needed to improve.

Now, with this said, Kelly is a solid citizen and a good football player. So there is no reason he can't be drafted in the middle rounds (3rd to 5th) and carve out a solid N.F.L. career. But a Top 10 pick, who ever came up with that?

Linkage

Rice began his NFL career as a highly-touted prospect out of Mississippi Valley State in 1985.

But his 4.7 speed in the 40-yard dash caused teams to shy away from him on draft day before the San Francisco 49ers selected him with the 16th pick in the first round. Twenty years and 303 games later, Rice ranks among the Jim Brown's and Walter Payton's as one of the best to ever strap on the shoulder pads.

Eggzactly!! :thumbsup:

True.

It's interesting that no one is bringing up Peter Warrick, who is far more representative of the speed/success ratio than than Jerry Rice.

He had horrible 40 times are his workout today. He didnt clock near as well as he should have. Now Chris Brown says he should be there when Buffalo picks at 41 in the 2nd round. Not sure if thats a good thing or a bad thing for Buffalo. I think now if they go WR it will either be Devin Thomas or James Hardy. But with the way Kelly performed today, I think Buffalo goes CB with its first pick.

Today

Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 1:46 PM ET | Link

KELLY 40 TIMES DISAPPOINTING: Well a lot was riding on Malcolm Kelly's pro day at Oklahoma. Kelly ran twice and clocked in at 4.75 and 4.68 according to NFL.com. Since some of his best times prior were in the mid 4.5s on campus last year, NFL talent evaluators can look at this two ways. One, Kelly must still not be 100 percent healthy or two, he is not first round caliber talent. I thought he had to run at least in the same mid-4.5 range to come off the board in round one. All indications are he performed well in the receiving drills, but those 40 times are going to hurt him. I think he's a second rounder at best, which might not be a bad thing for the Bills if they go corner in round one. There's a good chance now that Kelly is sitting there at 41.

---

I don't think having a guy as slow as he is, is even worth it. A safety can match up with him!