Protein Supplements - do you use them?

rockpile

Moderators, can this stay here? It is not a weght loss question, just general health.

I have been making "shakes" with yogurt, milk, and various fruits. I tried adding vitamin supplement or whey protein powder and it really spoils the shake for me. They do not overpower the flavor, but you know can taste it and it screws up the "texture" of the drink.

Does anyone know of a way to add nutirion to a healthy shake like this, without ruining the taste? :lol:

I am drinking these a lot, more and more in place of a meal, and I am generally feeling much better overall AND losing weight.

As I increase my regular exercise program and add free weights, I want to make sure I am getting enough nutrition.

Suggestions?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my shake, which I got from Men's Health. I really like it:

2 scoop's whey protein;

5 g creatine (optional);

4. oz frozen blueberries;

1 tablespoon peanut butter (for protein and acts as appetite suppressant);

2 tablespoon ground flax seed (awesome stuff);

1.5 cups skim milk.

This has about 60g protein, 10g fiber, and is about 350 calories. I never really ate breakfeast before this - I really feel much better now that I take this. I take it with two multi-vitamins as well.

As a guide, if you are trying to build muscle mass, you should consume 1 gram of protein for each pound of body weight per day.

My son takes protein shakes......and we both take a supplement called "Xtend" which is a muscule recovery supplement that is taken in a drink form.

My son is in muscule biulding mode while I am trying to shave off pounds........so he takes a weightgainer protein powder as it is in his routine to get so many grams of protein per pound that he is attempting to gain......this with a lifting routine has bee pretty successful.

it is cheaper to take protein shakes then to take it in other forms......and there are many different kinds to choose from.

I drink a protein supplement about every other day. Probably wouldn't if I wasn't a vegetarian. I don't think you really need the extra protein.

My shake is just the powder, frozen strawberries, a banana, and OJ. Blend. Straightforward, simple, and good.

I drink a protein supplement about every other day. Probably wouldn't if I wasn't a vegetarian. I don't think you really need the extra protein.

My shake is just the powder, frozen strawberries, a banana, and OJ. Blend. Straightforward, simple, and good just like my vacuum cleaner.

Fixed

Does anyone know of a way to add nutirion to a healthy shake like this, without ruining the taste? :lol:

IMO, simple answer to your question is no. If you don't like how the powder is changing the taste of your shakes there really isn't a better way to do it. You can test different brands out, as they all have slightly different tastes and textures, but they will most likely all change the shake.

If you're lifting and exercising regulary I would recommend adding the extra protein though. You'll really notice the difference in how fast you recover and how well your muscles react. I am NOT into getting BIG, but I lift a few days a week and like to have a toned look. Even just with that I add a high protein shake a day to supplement what my bodies using, and I definitely notice a difference between when I do and don't (more in how I feel than how I look).

So if you are enjoying your shakes and don't want to ruin them, you may just want to consider adding another straight up protein shake to your diet. Wont' taste great, but you can suck it down quick and the calories vs. benefits would make it worth it.

The question is what goal are you trying to achieve? If you are trying to get bigger and build lean muscle then protein shakes are great. I currently am addicted to these (they also come in 11 oz 35g of protein size)..................

ABB Protein Shakes

They don't taste bad, if you want something that taste really good you should try Muscle Milk but its a little higher in calories and fat.

And its important to know how different proteins work, whey protein is a fast acting protein and is absorbed quickly by your body. Its great to take right after workouts or in the morning when your body is in a catabolic state from not eating during the hours you sleep. Caseine Protein is derived from Milk and is released into the body at a much slower rate and is a good thing to take before you go to sleep.

If your lifting weights and trying to get bigger Protein (not just protein shakes) is a must. I'm 6ft 175lbs and I take in about 150-200 grams a day. As a general rule of thumb if your trying to put on muscle you should consume about 1-1.5 grams per pound you weigh.

Currently I also take these supplements together (in additon to protein intake) and really have seen good results.........

BSN NO-XPLODE-Pre workout (although this stuff is loaded with caffeine and might not be for everyone)

BSN Cell-MASS- Creatine and workout recovery supplement. Awesome for recovery, wouldn't work out with out it.

Does anyone know of a way to add nutirion to a healthy shake like this, without ruining the taste? blink.gif

Buy pre-maid shakes, IMO they taste way better than powders and aren't a pain in the ass to make.

BSN Cell-MASS- Creatine and workout recovery supplement. Awesome for recovery, wouldn't work out with out it.

I take the tradition Creatine Monohydrate - how is BSN Cell-Mass different? Do you cycle?

I was also taking LG Science's 1-GH-1 stacked with Methyl 1-D and then with Formadrol. I think these were a big waste of money - but a friends swore by them. I did loose a lot of fat in a four-month stretch.

I take the tradition Creatine Monohydrate - how is BSN Cell-Mass different? Do you cycle?

I was also taking LG Science's 1-GH-1 stacked with Methyl 1-D and then with Formadrol. I think these were a big waste of money - but a friends swore by them. I did loose a lot of fat in a four-month stretch.

Its more geared toward muscle recovery in additon to the creatine. I'm not saying I've gotten better results as far as muscle growth over taking just creatine mono but I love what the cell-mass does for me the next day. I tend to overtrain sometimes (I try not to but I always seem to do so anyway) and the glutamine and other aspects of the supplements really allow you to push yourself. I usually do a 12 week cycle stacked with the NO XPLODE and then take about 4 weeks off of both.

If you want protein-eat a steak or chicken.

Yes! :devil:

The protein requirement is a problem that vegetarians face.

Nothing wrong with vegetarianism, at all - very healthy diet. The problem is that a few of the essential amino acids provided by meats aren't there in the plant sources. The Vegans, who eschew any dairy products, have a tougher problem.