Should Buffalo trade Losman to move up in the draft?

I like JP and really wish he would have worked out but if he can find a home elsewhere and that allows the Bills to make a move to better the team overall then I say do it if possible. An experienced backup is a good idea though so JP has value there for the BIlls.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

has any team shown any interest in him? i cant think of any, just speculation as far as im concerned..........I have a feeling we will lose Losman for nothing. I like what Edwards has brought thus far for being soo young, but Id like to have Losman around aswell.......I like both guys.

We will not lose him for nothing.

Dude, relax about JP. I don't see any team giving up a third round pick for him. He is a marginal backup QB at best. Sure, we have not had a great cast of stars around him the past couple of years, and the playcalling has been suspect. But JP did nothing to make our offense better, which is what a QB is supposed to do. He has never beaten a good team on the road, or at home for that matter. Just look at the film of the Jaguars game last year. He had everything to play for, but played like a tentative, scared rookie. If we can get a 4th or high 5th for him, I think we take it in an instant. I would rather have Trent Dilfer backing up TE because he has so much experience if not a lot of game left.

While he has his shortcomings, I would say calling him a marginal backup at best is ludicrous. The guy has shown an ability to get something done in the fourth quarter despite his lack of accuracy and despite having one option to throw the ball to. For a relatively inexperienced QB, I'd say he is a more than adequate backup. He may not be Frank Reich, but he's not throwing to Andre Reed, James Lofton and Pete Metzelaars either.

If you think he is John Elway, you are crazy, but you also are crazy if you think he is to blame for all of our problems

Losman is staying. And that's a good thing.

I think the team should keep JP as a decent back up to TE. If TE goes down and the team brought in another QB from the draft as the new #2, the team is really screwed.

I have been reading more and more about how Kansas City wants to trade down. If Herm Edwards were a player for Losman would it be worth it to trade our #11 pick and Losman to be in a position for someone Dorsey? Is this fair compensation for both teams or would we have to throw in a pick (5th rder?) also?

We'd have to give up more than that. Even if they put a pretty nice value on Losman, we'd have to give up our 11th overall, our third round pick, a sixth rounder and Losman. I would guess in reality, the trade would be something like our first and third this year, plus next year's second (or MAYBE next year's third) and Losman.

For the right player, it might be worth it. But to be honest, none of this will happen. No reason for the Chiefs to slide down for a deal involving Losman. They already have Losman in Croyle. Nothing to see here.

1] No one is going to offer anything close to what Losman is worth because of his contract more than his play.

2] We have no one behind him we can count on and there may not be anyone out there to sign once the draft starts we can count on at all.

So 3] it's likely he will not be traded.

IMO it's possible only if a team was looking to draft a QB high but didnt or couldn't, they are willing to take a huge risk with Losman on a significant extension, AND the Bills REALLY want a player that is still available in the third round right at that same time AND spot AND know they can sign someone at least as good as Gus Frerotte.

I think the team should keep JP as a decent back up to TE. If TE goes down and the team brought in another QB from the draft as the new #2, the team is really screwed.

Yeah...maybe J.P. and Moulds can both bulk up to play tight end.

That would be a wicked 2 tight end set for the Bills! <_<

Who would the defense possibly cover? :lol:

1] No one is going to offer anything close to what Losman is worth because of his contract more than his play.

2] We have no one behind him we can count on and there may not be anyone out there to sign once the draft starts we can count on at all.

So 3] it's likely he will not be traded.

IMO it's possible only if a team was looking to draft a QB high but didnt or couldn't, they are willing to take a huge risk with Losman on a significant extension, AND the Bills REALLY want a player that is still available in the third round right at that same time AND spot AND know they can sign someone at least as good as Gus Frerotte.

Wow, someone that understands the situation, thanks Kelly.

1) The thing is, if a team thought Losman was a capable starter, they could probably get him for a very low prce as compared to recent qb signings. Getting benched cost his agent a good deal of leverage, or so one would logically assume. Please, think about it for just a few seconds.... a 3rd round pick, and a 6 year deal for 30 million or so is literal chump change for a good quarterback.

The above leads me to speculate that there is little interest out there for Losman, but let me clearly state that this is big time subject to change.

2) You are obviously correct. I wouldn't want Trent backed up by a rookie, because the chances of a rookie stepping in like Trent in 07 are next to none. If the Bills are to deal JP, one would think that they would need to sign an experienced vet first.

At this point, I would say the chances of JP being a Bill in 08 are close to 50/50. I have no idea how this will go down, nor do I claim to.

Losman isn't going anywhere. The reason I believe this is because there's been no stories, none, about a possible trade. Usually when a player is going to be traded you start to hear stories that are floated out there to the press by the team that is looking to deal a player. There are "sanctioned" leaks. There has been none of this going on in the last couple of months. Now the question to ask is why he isn't going anywhere. Here is my opinion on the situation:

1. Losman has very little trade value due to his disappointing season in 2007. Other GMs in the league see a player who obviously wants to start, yet this player has no choice but to play out his final year of his contract to achieve getting anything close to a big payday and extension. So why would other GMs want to put their QB situation in limbo like that for a QB that for whatever reason regressed last season but who wants to be the starter? The answer is they wouldn't and aren't going to. GMs want to either sell a QB as the starter or as the capable veteran backup. Neither option is going to fly because A) The rest of the league, media and fans see losman as a loser, and B) Losman is does not want to be the "capable veteran backup".

2. Trent Edwards is fragile until proven otherwise. Jauron and company are not willing to create a new hole knowing full well that that someone will most probably have to replace Edwards as the starter at some point because it's a slim chance he's starting 16 games.

3. Losman may be seen as a loser by 90 percent of the league and Bills fans and media, but the hard fact is that Fairchild was a huge anchor around Losman's and this team's neck. JP's got more physical talent than Edwards (something that can't be teached) and the mental part of his game was short circuited by Fairchild and Jauron choking the life out of the offense. Seeing Edwards fall on his face when the "play it safe checkdown" game came to a crashing halt, shook Jauron and the Bills front office enough so that the only way they would part with Losman in '08 would be with a high draft pick. A high draft pick that's never going to come, see #1.

I still think that Losman is a lot better QB than the "angry" Edwards majority (it's weird that they're so angry when Edwards is the unquestioned starter) thinks, and Edwards has yet to prove much of anything other than he can deliver a quick checkdown pass and beat the worst teams in the league. I'll need to see a big arm and stamina in 2008 before I'm sold on the guy as so many here are. Football's a strange game where anything is possible (see Giants 2007 season), so who knows what will happen with the QB situation this coming season. I want the best QB starting for the Bills, I'm just still not so sure that Losman isn't the best QB here.

Yep. It is time for everybody to stop thinking of this fantasy that we could actually get good compensation for Losman. KC is not going to drop down 6 spots with just getting Losman in return. Unlike bills fans, GM'S in the league actually watch the games without rose colored glasses on & my guess is that what they see is a guy that has too many deficiencies in his game to be a consistent starter in this league. The bills are just better off keeping him this year. Why create yet another need on this team(backup qb) if your only going to get a 5th round draft pick out of it?

I agree with Kelly and others that there is no market out there to trade for Losman right now, but the chances are still 50/50 or so about him starting the season as a Bill because one thing the draft this month will do is change the market. It strikes me as similar to the situation the Bills were in with T. Henry a couple of years back.

Henry was a player who had shown excellent ability at times, but was coming off a period where his work on the field had simply sucked, he had a variety of off-field problems which significantly lowered his value due to uncertainty. JP is a different situation than Henry based on the specifics, however the situation is anlalogous in terms of the impact. JP has shown less production than Henry on the field (but the potential is still there) but his off field issues are far less severe than Henry's.

Folks were wailing for TD to simply cut TH before the draft arguing that there was no interest in this loser. TD simply held his fire.

The draft came and there were several teams that might potentially be in the hunt for an RB (though like the current JP situation no one is really tipping their hands in terms of particular desires/needs at any position lest they give valuable intelligence to other teams regarding their potential draft strategy) but as it turned out all these teams filled their needs by taking RBs in their initial picks.

Again some howled for TDs head saying he blew his opportunity to trade TH and advocating cutting him. TD held his cards.

Yet when the smoke cleared as we moved toward pre-season suddenly TD was able to move TH with a substantial payoff from the Titans (soon after the trade TH in fact got suspended),

My sense is that no one will trade or even make serious offers for a JP while the draft is coming as it will potentially present opportunities for teams to remake their market needs so unless folks are going to build around JP there is no reason to trade for him. In fact, why even hint they may be in the market for a QB as other teams may pick someone who falls (as Edwards did to us) if they feel that another team is in the market.

Add to this, that it would be dumb for the Bills to trade JP for a mere draft choice as this teams needs a vet to play the Frank Reich role as our back-up rather than a rookie who needs to sit on the bench for us for a year or two (Edwards was lightening in a bottle as a rookie capable of starting at QB we cannot count on having this happen twice).

It really is about 50/50 whether JP stays or goes.

You mean we can't get higher than a 5th round pick for someone who does so much charity work in the community?

Surprisingly not. Go figure, GMS are more interested in how a guy plays on the field then if he takes to cleaning up the streets that they live in.

Losman isn't going anywhere. The reason I believe this is because there's been no stories, none, about a possible trade. Usually when a player is going to be traded you start to hear stories that are floated out there to the press by the team that is looking to deal a player. There are "sanctioned" leaks. There has been none of this going on in the last couple of months. Now the question to ask is why he isn't going anywhere. Here is my opinion on the situation:

1. Losman has very little trade value due to his disappointing season in 2007. Other GMs in the league see a player who obviously wants to start, yet this player has no choice but to play out his final year of his contract to achieve getting anything close to a big payday and extension. So why would other GMs want to put their QB situation in limbo like that for a QB that for whatever reason regressed last season but who wants to be the starter? The answer is they wouldn't and aren't going to. GMs want to either sell a QB as the starter or as the capable veteran backup. Neither option is going to fly because A) The rest of the league, media and fans see losman as a loser, and B) Losman is does not want to be the "capable veteran backup".

2. Trent Edwards is fragile until proven otherwise. Jauron and company are not willing to create a new hole knowing full well that that someone will most probably have to replace Edwards as the starter at some point because it's a slim chance he's starting 16 games.

3. Losman may be seen as a loser by 90 percent of the league and Bills fans and media, but the hard fact is that Fairchild was a huge anchor around Losman's and this team's neck. JP's got more physical talent than Edwards (something that can't be teached) and the mental part of his game was short circuited by Fairchild and Jauron choking the life out of the offense. Seeing Edwards fall on his face when the "play it safe checkdown" game came to a crashing halt, shook Jauron and the Bills front office enough so that the only way they would part with Losman in '08 would be with a high draft pick. A high draft pick that's never going to come, see #1.

I still think that Losman is a lot better QB than the "angry" Edwards majority (it's weird that they're so angry when Edwards is the unquestioned starter) thinks, and Edwards has yet to prove much of anything other than he can deliver a quick checkdown pass and beat the worst teams in the league. I'll need to see a big arm and stamina in 2008 before I'm sold on the guy as so many here are. Football's a strange game where anything is possible (see Giants 2007 season), so who knows what will happen with the QB situation this coming season. I want the best QB starting for the Bills, I'm just still not so sure that Losman isn't the best QB here.

Look, Im going to try to lay this out to you as simply as I can one more time. It is not that people are enamored or sold on Edwards. People like what they saw of him last year as a Rookie & think if he progresses he could turn out to be a decent qb. These same people are tired of Losman's act. That act includes bouncing passes, coming up small in big games time & time again, not being able to read a defense even though he has been in the league for four years & basically doing the same boneheaded mistakes over & over again. After awhile, it gets old. Noone is angry & your little tirade above shows that you feel the need to take shots at Edwards everytime you are defending Losman. I will go on record as saying Edwards is a better all around qb right now, just starting his 2nd year then Losman will ever be.

Look, Im going to try to lay this out to you as simply as I can one more time. It is not that people are enamored or sold on Edwards. People like what they saw of him last year as a Rookie & think if he progresses he could turn out to be a decent qb. These same people are tired of Losman's act. That act includes bouncing passes, coming up small in big games time & time again, not being able to read a defense even though he has been in the league for four years & basically doing the same boneheaded mistakes over & over again. After awhile, it gets old. Noone is angry & your little tirade above shows that you feel the need to take shots at Edwards everytime you are defending Losman. I will go on record as saying Edwards is a better all around qb right now, just starting his 2nd year then Losman will ever be.

I never thought you could get anymore annoying but you've managed it. It's kind of hard for people to take you seriously when you scale the heights of contradiction like you did here....

"That act includes bouncing passes, coming up small in big games time & time again, not being able to read a defense even though he has been in the league for four years & basically doing the same boneheaded mistakes over & over again."

"...shows that you feel the need to take shots at Edwards everytime you are defending Losman."

BTW, little tirades are what Losman haters like you know best. Frankly, you're the angriest bunch of a-holes on the internet.