Dane Cook. Overrated or what?

The Dean

I flip over to Comedy Central during halftime of the NC/Louisville game and watch Dane Cook's, Vicious Circle.

Now, I have seen Cook's standup a few times. Usually, though, I find him to be very marginal, as a stand up. Well, based on what I have seen tonight, this guy SUCKS. Freakin' Carrot Top is funnier than this guy. (I am NOT suggesting Carrot Top is funny.)

IMO, good standup should be smart. This guy is a stone-cold moron...and not in a good way...yet, everyone is SCREAMING (not really laughing, though, just SCREAMING).

What's the appeal with this guy?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I flip over to Comedy Central during halftime of the NC/Louisville game and watch Dane Cook's, Vicious Circle.

Now, I have seen Cook's standup a few times. Usually, though, I find him to be very marginal, as a stand up. Well, based on what I have seen tonight, this guy SUCKS. Freakin' Carrot Top is funnier than this guy. (I am NOT suggesting Carrot Top is funny.)

IMO, good standup should be smart. This guy is a stone-cold moron...and not in a good way...yet, everyone is SCREAMING (not really laughing, though, just SCREAMING).

He's watchable. But I am not one of those people that will laugh at ANYTHING he says because he's Dane Cook.... and there are ALOT of people like that.

Pablo Francisco, Nick Swardson... THOSE are some funny guys

He's watchable. But I am not one of those people that will laugh at ANYTHING he says because he's Dane Cook.... and there are ALOT of people like that.

Pablo Francisco, Nick Swardson... THOSE are some funny guys

I'm not a huge fan of Swardson. But, he's good on Reno 911 and I have seen him do some pretty funny s#it.

As you note, it seems like these people are screaming at ANYTHING he says, even if it isn't close to funny. Is it a cult?

I agree. I never understood the hype. As for comedy- I love Bill Hicks and Mitch Hepberg

Mitch Hedburg committed suicide about 4 years ago. Too bad he was really funny.

Dom Irrera is funny. My brother and I try to catch him whenever he comes to the Comix Cafe. The Amazing Jonathan was really funny but I haven't heard anything about him or from him in awhile.

I've never watched Dane Cook. The ads for his show on Comedy Central don't seem funny at all and I have no interest in him.

Remember the guy who did the whole; "You can call me Ray or you can call me Jay but you..... " Oh God how did he get his 15 minutes of fame?!!

Never really gotten him as a 'film actor' either. Not sure I've ever seen a character more miscast than him as a fitness trainer (?) in "Dan in Real Life"...

Boy, you're not kidding. I didn't even know who Dane Cook was until they started advertising the special on CC. I Tivo'd it and when he came out, it was like he was the second coming of Lenny Bruce.

Worst standup I've heard since Dice's "The Day the Laughter Died". Absolutely terrible. I'm still amazed that apparently upwards of 15 grand actually paid AND stayed through it. That dude is a train wreck with a microphone.

Dom Irrera is funny. My brother and I try to catch him whenever he comes to the Comix Cafe. The Amazing Jonathan was really funny but I haven't heard anything about him or from him in awhile.

I've never watched Dane Cook. The ads for his show on Comedy Central don't seem funny at all and I have no interest in him.

Remember the guy who did the whole; "You can call me Ray or you can call me Jay but you..... " Oh God how did he get his 15 minutes of fame?!!

Mitch Hedburg OD'd on speed balls a few years ago on April Fools day. His jokes were so well written. I saw Amazing Jonathon's house on a show and he has all these elaborate gags built in- and he messes with his guests. Pretty funny

I also like Irrera and think The Amazing Jonathon is (was) funny. the problem with both of those guys is, they don't update their act much. Jonathon is pretty much one-note, as far as i can tell. I've seen Irrera a few times live and a lot on TV and his act (at least the funny stuff) doesn't change a hell of a lot.

It's kids who've never seen real stand up. My 17-year old daughter and her friends can't get enough of him. Whenever I say he can't hold a candle to guys like Carlin, Pryor, etc. she just calls me old. Sigh...

It's kids who've never seen real stand up. My 17-year old daughter and her friends can't get enough of him. Whenever I say he can't hold a candle to guys like Carlin, Pryor, etc. she just calls me old. Sigh...

The thing is, he can't hold a candle to the guy at the laugh factory in Anytown, USA on a Thursday night. As far as I can tell, it's all energy with him. Virtually NOTHING he says is that funny.

There are some terrific standup comedians, these days, IMO. This guy simply isn't one of them.

Apparently other comedians don't think much of his act, either.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15643423/

Now, I don't think Jim Breuer is very funny, either (better than Cook, though). It makes sense that Breuer seems to like him more than most comics as Breuer is another guy whose act is based on energy (and his stoned look) but who lacks actual MATERIAL.

Apparently Cook is a thief. That's not unusual in Comedy...the same is said about Carlos Mencia (overrated to be sure, but is at least a little funny). But they say Dane stole a bunch of Louis CK's early act. If so, Louis must have trashed it because it wasn't funny. CK is ten times the comedian Cook is.

It's his look that caters to teenage/young college girls. It makes up a large majority of his moronic fanbase. One of the least funniest comedians out there.

Cook is more of a dramaqueen than a comedian. He does have an artistic flow to his act that I find funny, because not everyone can do something like that. I thought much more of him until it was clear he was an attention hound and as other comedians came out to say he took their act.

To me, the best stand up is Chris Rock. He isn't the funniest person....he doesn't have the funniest material as a whole, but he has the best routine. He's another guy that wins with his delivery.