Lee Evans ranked #20 by Scouts, Inc

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/new...%3fid%3d3309135

He is a speed receiver who has really never been able to hit his full potential, but that has to do more with his offensive system than him. It is hard to move Evans up this list because his numbers don't merit it, but we wonder how good he could be if he had a legit starting quarterback getting him the ball. His speed makes him one of the more feared vertical threats in the NFL.

Neither Losman nor Trent is considered legit starting quarterback according to them. Hard to judge for a 3rd round rookie but does not look like they would think trading an early round pick for Losman would be a good idea. I hope our offense plays lights out with both QBs seen as more valuable by end of year.

I also think TO was greatly overrated; more than one offense shut him down.

Can't argue with Evans' placing. Looking at the list, it's increasingly clear that there are really only 25 receivers worth anything in the NFL now.

I'd put Parrish lower. His production hasn't warranted 51.

Receiver is the most dependent position in football. There are ton of factors that go into a receiver's production - O-line, running threat, and a good QB. Lee Evans has never played with any of these 3 with any consistency. Switch Evans with Holt (prior to last season) and Marvin Harrison, he is a top 10 receiver easily.

Receiver is the most dependent position in football. There are ton of factors that go into a receiver's production - O-line, running threat, and a good QB. Lee Evans has never played with any of these 3 with any consistency. Switch Evans with Holt (prior to last season) and Marvin Harrison, he is a top 10 receiver easily.

Bingo!

You guys probably won't like what ESPNer Matt Mosley had to say, then:

ESPN: Hashmarks

But my biggest problem with the list is ranking Wes Welker No. 23, three spots behind Lee Evans. It seems like Welker's being penalized because he plays with a great quarterback while Evans is being credited for playing with duds. You don't catch 112 passes by accident.

I honestly believe that Welker is a top-15 receiver in this league. He shouldn't be docked because he plays with Tom Brady and Randy Moss, who ranks No. 1 on the list.

Honestly, Lee's situation this year was very comparable to Welker's last year in Miami. Plus, Miami probably had a better receiving core (McMichael, Booker, Chambers) than we did. Yet, Lee put up better #s than Welker, in his arguably his worst NFL season. Welker is a solid player that becomes a good one because of the talent around him. The drop in his production this year is gonna be huge.

I think that the rating is accurate. If/when the Bills get consistent quality play from the QB position, we will really see what Lee is capable of. Lee would be a top-15 (possibly top-10) on a team with a better passing attack. Unfortunately for us Bills' fans, we are still waiting for that consistent play. Here's hoping that this will be the year!

And if the Pats has never signed Randy Moss, Welker would be lucky to catch 1/2 the number of passes he did last season.

And then consider that welker averaged only 10 yards per catch. Thats the football equivalent of the mendoza line for WRs. Moulds and Price were garbage because they had trouble breaking that barrier. Welker isnt much better.

While we are on the topic of ranking WRs, when is someone going to mention the giant turd Moss laid during the playoffs?

In three playoff games, he managed a total of 7 receptions for 94 yards.

In the playoffs, the 6' 4" Moss delivered at a 5' 7" level.

While we are on the topic of ranking WRs, when is someone going to mention the giant turd Moss laid during the playoffs?

In three playoff games, he managed a total of 7 receptions for 94 yards.

In the playoffs, the 6' 4" Moss delivered at a 5' 7" level.

Teams focused on taking him away, while letting other people beat them. (sounds familiar)

Teams focused on taking him away, while letting other people beat them. (sounds familiar)

Well, other than Welker (who had 27 receptions) and Faulk (who had 20), other people were NOT beating them. Stallworth had only 8 receotions during the playoffs. Yards per passing attempt was only 6.8. Check the playoff data:

Player, # of Receptions, yards. Sorry about the formatting

Wes Welker 27 213

Kevin Faulk 20 170

Donte' Stallworth 8 113

Randy Moss 7 94

Laurence Maroney 5 61

Jabar Gaffney 4 38

Benjamin Watson 3 20

Kyle Brady 2 15

Heath Evans 1 13

Ditto that, receiver stats are like Wins in baseball, you can only do the best with what you're given

I think that the rating is accurate. If/when the Bills get consistent quality play from the QB position, we will really see what Lee is capable of. Lee would be a top-15 (possibly top-10) on a team with a better passing attack. Unfortunately for us Bills' fans, we are still waiting for that consistent play. Here's hoping that this will be the year!

I think a HUGE part of that is the Offensive Coordinator. THANK GOD Fairchild is gone! I would have preferred Mularkey to him last year.

I think a HUGE part of that is the Offensive Coordinator. THANK GOD Fairchild is gone! I would have preferred Mularkey to him last year.

At the same time, he was the same offensive coordinator that made JP the 11th ranked passer. At this level,players make plays. If you don't think Brady trading teams for our QBs wouldn't have made Fairchild a much better coordinator, you're mistaken. We lacked enough offensive talent.

At the same time, he was the same offensive coordinator that made JP the 11th ranked passer. At this level,players make plays. If you don't think Brady trading teams for our QBs wouldn't have made Fairchild a much better coordinator, you're mistaken. We lacked enough offensive talent.
I agree about having players on the field. Many people knocked Peerless, but his injury last year may have been the Bills biggest loss. It may have been because of a lack of a #2 receiver or another reason, but whatever it was Fairchild did not run the same offense last year as in 06. That is why I said I would take Mularkey over Fairchild LAST YEAR. If you don't think an Offensive Coordinator affects a game himself, just go back to the Miami game Mularkeys last year in Buffalo. I also think Randy Moss would have had a bigger impact in Buffalo last year than Brady would have.

I agree about having players on the field. Many people knocked Peerless, but his injury last year may have been the Bills biggest loss. It may have been because of a lack of a #2 receiver or another reason, but whatever it was Fairchild did not run the same offense last year as in 06. That is why I said I would take Mularkey over Fairchild LAST YEAR. If you don't think an Offensive Coordinator affects a game himself, just go back to the Miami game Mularkeys last year in Buffalo. I also think Randy Moss would have had a bigger impact in Buffalo last year than Brady would have.

Perhaps. but he certainly didn't have a positive impact in Oakland.