From Pro Football Weekly Whispers

JoeF

Signing Jerry Porter and trading for Troy Williamson, losing Wiliford -- makes Jones expendable according to PFW..

WR Matt Jones can all but kiss Jacksonville goodbye. That’s what one team insider told us regarding the hugely disappointing 2005 first-rounder. The insider said the Jags will likely keep him around for training camp but that he would have to have a lights-out showing in camp to stick on the roster. The offseason acquisitions of Jerry Porter and Troy Williamson have lessened the Jags’ need at receiver.

My comment:

There have been rumors that Jones is lazy and not very smart. He can't run routes with precision and his straight line speed does not translate to field speed coming in and out of breaks. He has good hands, great size and impressive straight line speed. It might be worth the Bills offering the Jags a 7th --may even go as high as our 5th if we pick up another round 4 pick in the compensatory allocations and see if they bite. Stroud can probably provide some intel on whether Jones is worth going after....

Here is Scouts Inc's pre-2007 assessment:

Comment: Jones is entering his third season out of Arkansas that was a first round draft pick by the Jaguars in the 2005 draft. He is still learning how to play the WR position as he was a quarterback in college and made the transition to WR after arriving in the NFL. He has a ton of potential with rare size to go along with rare straight line speed. He builds to speed more than being immediate and still has some trouble getting off the line versus the press. He can eat up a lot of ground and often surprises the DBs as he just runs by them. He is pretty raw in his route running skills and needs a lot of work on setting up defensive backs and getting them to bite on fakes and little shifts of his body weight. He shows his speed much better once he has the ball in his hands as opposed to when running vertical routes. He has improved in his toughness as far as going over the middle and catching the ball in traffic. He shows just adequate burst out of his cuts and is not great at separating from man coverage. He is learning how to use his size in the red zone and can reach up to pluck the ball over the top of shorter defensive backs. If it ever really clicks with this guy he could end up being something special. It's just a matter of time.

I admit I like him.

I've had a "fantasty football" mancrush on him for years....only to be left high and dry.

But, I'll still give him another chance.

He's just misunderstood! ;)

:wallbash:

Aren't we all????

Wasn't all the talk on Jones when he came out that everyone would try to make a TE out of him? I've paid no attention to him at all since he came out, but given the write up about him it seems it still might make sense. I'd say he would probably need to go to a team with a stacked O-line, cause he probably never learned to block.

I think part of the problem was that Jones hasn't seen a lot of playing time. IIRC the Jags used him a lot in obvious passing situations and in the red zone where he was the obvious target. Otherwise I think he was in much the same situation that Bryant Johnson was in with Arizona, where he was playing third fiddle and not getting much attention. Jones could be a good option for the Bills, but his route running is going to be an issue if he is to be the number two receiver in this offense. I like the idea of making him a TE, though he will have to put on about twenty five to thirty pounds and learn how to block. That's not as easy as it sounds. But, he has the speed and the ability to stretch the field, and his route running isn't nearly as big an issue as it would be for a WR. He might be worth a look if he gets cut. I do think that we would actually be on the losing side of a trade for him and Losman. We have seen signs of potential from Losman. There hasn't been much from Jones.

I think part of the problem was that Jones hasn't seen a lot of playing time. IIRC the Jags used him a lot in obvious passing situations and in the red zone where he was the obvious target. Otherwise I think he was in much the same situation that Bryant Johnson was in with Arizona, where he was playing third fiddle and not getting much attention. Jones could be a good option for the Bills, but his route running is going to be an issue if he is to be the number two receiver in this offense. I like the idea of making him a TE, though he will have to put on about twenty five to thirty pounds and learn how to block. That's not as easy as it sounds. But, he has the speed and the ability to stretch the field, and his route running isn't nearly as big an issue as it would be for a WR. He might be worth a look if he gets cut. I do think that we would actually be on the losing side of a trade for him and Losman. We have seen signs of potential from Losman. There hasn't been much from Jones.

The problem is that he has the same type of extremely laid back, surfer boy type personality as Rob Johnson. People have been questioning just how much he cares about football since well before his senior year at Arkansas.

The problem is that he has the same type of extremely laid back, surfer boy type personality as Rob Johnson. People have been questioning just how much he cares about football since well before his senior year at Arkansas.

Well, there's that too.

Wasn't all the talk on Jones when he came out that everyone would try to make a TE out of him? I've paid no attention to him at all since he came out, but given the write up about him it seems it still might make sense. I'd say he would probably need to go to a team with a stacked O-line, cause he probably never learned to block.

If he's been lazy learning WR, forget about him doing a 180 to learning blocking. That'll never work.

Signing Jerry Porter and trading for Troy Williamson, losing Wiliford -- makes Jones expendable according to PFW..

WR Matt Jones can all but kiss Jacksonville goodbye. That’s what one team insider told us regarding the hugely disappointing 2005 first-rounder. The insider said the Jags will likely keep him around for training camp but that he would have to have a lights-out showing in camp to stick on the roster. The offseason acquisitions of Jerry Porter and Troy Williamson have lessened the Jags’ need at receiver.

My comment:

There have been rumors that Jones is lazy and not very smart. He can't run routes with precision and his straight line speed does not translate to field speed coming in and out of breaks. He has good hands, great size and impressive straight line speed. It might be worth the Bills offering the Jags a 7th --may even go as high as our 5th if we pick up another round 4 pick in the compensatory allocations and see if they bite. Stroud can probably provide some intel on whether Jones is worth going after....

Here is Scouts Inc's pre-2007 assessment:

Comment: Jones is entering his third season out of Arkansas that was a first round draft pick by the Jaguars in the 2005 draft. He is still learning how to play the WR position as he was a quarterback in college and made the transition to WR after arriving in the NFL. He has a ton of potential with rare size to go along with rare straight line speed. He builds to speed more than being immediate and still has some trouble getting off the line versus the press. He can eat up a lot of ground and often surprises the DBs as he just runs by them. He is pretty raw in his route running skills and needs a lot of work on setting up defensive backs and getting them to bite on fakes and little shifts of his body weight. He shows his speed much better once he has the ball in his hands as opposed to when running vertical routes. He has improved in his toughness as far as going over the middle and catching the ball in traffic. He shows just adequate burst out of his cuts and is not great at separating from man coverage. He is learning how to use his size in the red zone and can reach up to pluck the ball over the top of shorter defensive backs. If it ever really clicks with this guy he could end up being something special. It's just a matter of time.

I don't know...besides McCardell and Smith in the first years under Coughlin - what other incredible receivers have the JAgs had. Most of us have a man crush on Wilford. But truth be told he is barely above average. I think the WR coaching in Jag world is suspect. I don't know if Jones coming here will be that much better. Tolbert hasn't impressed me much. But I think if Jones went to somewhere where they have good receiver coaching say, AZ, NE or NY, he could realize his potential.

C

I agree. My son is a huge Jaguar fan & was the only one nervously cheering as they beat us in my endzone a few years back. I have followed them closely just cuz. Jones is a poor route runner who fails to get open consistently even if only on 3rd down. His hand are good but concentration is weak. Lots of potential but NO THANKS. I've been telling my son for 2 years they should try switching him to TE. All Said - Not worth the aggrivation. Draft a WR & TE then see what we can do w/our FA retreads.

If were going to move J.P.........than maybe an even swap for former first rounders.

:wallbash: There needs to be an IQ test for this board.

The Bills O line is very good, now.

Jones is one of these dudes whose stock went thru the roof after his workouts. Seems like just about every year there is some guy who climbs way up the draft boards of some teams based on workout numbers.

Erik Flowers anyone?

All in all I'd say if Jerksonville would take a 7th rounder for him why not? Buffalo wouldn't be giving him a signing bonus like they would a seventh rounder or even a UFA. Bring him into camp and let him try. If they cut him all they've lost is a 7th rounder who would have had a hard time making this team anyway.

I wouldn't mind us bringing him in. Tolbert did wonders with Boldin who was a QB in HS and some of his college years at FSU. Not that Jones is the athlete that Boldin is but it might be worth a shot.

Jones is a great athlete. Probably the equivalent of Bryant Johnson. Underachievers.

He would be worth it for us under the right contract. Low base high incentive.