Red Sox to boycott game

Those stories are a little vague on the details, but the one on MLB.com is a little clearer:

When the Red Sox agreed to go to Japan in November, manager Terry Francona and the players were under the impression that all uniformed personnel would get a stipend of approximately $40,000 for the trip.

-snip-

To Francona, the matter was a lot more about the coaches than himself.

"For a coach, this is, in some cases, two-fifths of their salary for the year," Francona said. "This is a big deal. I don't agree that coaches are second-class citizens. That has never sat well with me, ever."

Francona was the bench coach for the A's in 2003 when they were scheduled to go to Japan, only to have that journey canceled because of the war in Iraq. In that instance, Francona said that the manager and all the coaches were set to get stipends.

Managers and coaches aren't members of the Players Association.

"The coaches never have leverage," said Schilling. "In all the years I've been in baseball, they're the guys usually taken advantage of in situations like this. In this locker room, they're as much a part of this team as the guys on the field."

"The coaches never have leverage," said Schilling. "In all the years I've been in baseball, they're the guys usually taken advantage of in situations like this. In this locker room, they're as much a part of this team as the guys on the field.[/i]"

I can't believe I'm going to say this....

.... gulp

but I agree with what Schilling said. :beer: It must be the end of days... I actually agree with something the Red Sox and Schilling are doing.

I can't believe I'm going to say this....

.... gulp

but I agree with what Schilling said. :beer: It must be the end of days... I actually agree with something the Red Sox and Schilling are doing.

I know what you mean BP. I hate the Sox but I don't disagree with what they're doing either.

The fault of the this lies in the greed that surrounds "America's Pastime". MLB wants the game to be international, and I can see them doing this because a lot of imported Japanese talent has been infused in America recently. Robbing talent of Japan, like Matsuzaka who is scheduled to pitch over there, is a way for Japan to see its heroes once again.

However, the greed and the money that inevitably affects every decision within the game has lead to this boycott.

If the players cared that much about having the coaches get paid, why don't they donate their $40,000 stipend to the benefit of the coaches?

I don't agree with this move. Why can't they shut up and play the game?

The fault of the this lies in the greed that surrounds "America's Pastime". MLB wants the game to be international, and I can see them doing this because a lot of imported Japanese talent has been infused in America recently. Robbing talent of Japan, like Matsuzaka who is scheduled to pitch over there, is a way for Japan to see its heroes once again.

However, the greed and the money that inevitably affects every decision within the game has lead to this boycott.

If the players cared that much about having the coaches get paid, why don't they donate their $40,000 stipend to the benefit of the coaches?

I don't agree with this move. Why can't they shut up and play the game?

Its not a matter of the money, its more of the matter of being told you are going to get paid, then, right before you leave, the MLB is like "haha, just kidding, you really arent going to get paid"

when i go on a conference for work, we get a per diem. If all of a sudden, a week before my next trip, the boss says, "sorry, no per diem for this trip", i'm telling him to find someone else to go.

Its not a matter of the money, its more of the matter of being told you are going to get paid, then, right before you leave, the MLB is like "haha, just kidding, you really arent going to get paid"

when i go on a conference for work, we get a per diem. If all of a sudden, a week before my next trip, the boss says, "sorry, no per diem for this trip", i'm telling him to find someone else to go.

Which goes back to my original point: greed has taken over the game. I can see where you're position comes from, but we're talking about men who get paid to coach and play a game that is intended to entertain enormous amounts of people. They aren't getting paid like a 9 to 5er like you.

If they would stop thinking with their bank account and started thinking as if they were a fan of the game (players and MLB officials alike), situations wouldn't arise where players are boycotting a friggin spring training game and threatening not to board a plane to a foreign location where they are going to be treated like Gods.

$40,000 to get to take a trip to Japan

I am assuming that the coaches and players all have their flights and hotels and probably meals paid for by the team or MLB, so this is just an added bonus for having to go? Or is this $40,000 supposed to be to pay for the flight, meals, hotel?

If everythings covered by MLB or the team, and they are complaining about a $40,000 bonus for going to Japan, I hope the league then makes the Sox start out the season 0-2. Francona says that the amount is about 2/5ths of most coaches salaries, and a weeks trip to Japan is no where near $40,000. These coaches are making good money, its not going to bankrupt them if they don't get a $40,000 bonus

Exactly. Greed? Come on. If you negotiate a payment for something and the other party tries to wiggle out of it or renege, then you are well within your rights to tell them the entire deal is off.

Which goes back to my original point: greed has taken over the game. I can see where you're position comes from, but we're talking about men who get paid to coach and play a game that is intended to entertain enormous amounts of people. They aren't getting paid like a 9 to 5er like you.

If they would stop thinking with their bank account and started thinking as if they were a fan of the game (players and MLB officials alike), situations wouldn't arise where players are boycotting a friggin spring training game and threatening not to board a plane to a foreign location where they are going to be treated like Gods.

So MLB gets a pass for promising to pay these guys then waiting until the eve of the trip to try to renege? We're talking about businessmen who oversee a multi-billion dollar industry, and they're quibbling over what is most likely $500-750,000?

If they want to grow the game internationally, there are costs involved. If MLB agreed to pay the coaches and staff (not just coaches, mind you, but trainers and equipment guys as well) a $40,000 bonus to open the season in Japan, then MLB should pay the money and shut up about it.

But, the point is that its their job. Their job just happens to be a game to the rest of us. And they were supposed to be paid extra for an extranenous trip to Japan by their employer. I dont blame them for not going if they dont get paid. What do they get personally from the trip to Japan? nothing. the trip is to promote the business of their employer, and the employer agreed to pay them extra for it.

Robbing Japan? MLB hasn't forced any Japanese players to come to North America. They decide if they want to come over and not all of them succeed.

And MLB players have toured and been celebrated in Japan since the days of Babe Ruth.

Greed in pro sports isn't exactly new either.

Winding down for our spring break next week, I let the kids watch some TV today in class. They voted and chose ESPN, and they (ESPN) were saying that an agreement had been reached and the coaches will be getting paid.

I found this link confirming that they're heading to Japan.

Winding down for our spring break next week, I let the kids watch some TV today in class. They voted and chose ESPN, and they (ESPN) were saying that an agreement had been reached and the coaches will be getting paid.

I found this link confirming that they're heading to Japan.

yeah i'm currently watching the end of the game 3- 0 Boston in the top of the 8th