R.I.P., Sir Arthur C. Clarke

Lori

why is it a great quote from him, yet when some folks in texas claim to see UFO's they are nothing more than hayseeds that are off thier rockers

and don't you think rather than him "foretelling" these notions, people read his work and worked on evolving his writings into actual things? sorry to be such a nay-sayer in this but it comes from my lack of caring for science fiction stuff.

Clarke foretold an array of technological notions in his works such as space stations, moon landings using a mother ship and a landing pod, cellular phones and the Internet.

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here. "

Great quote, ACC. RIP...

why is it a great quote from him, yet when some folks in texas claim to see UFO's they are nothing more than hayseeds that are off thier rockers

and don't you think rather than him "foretelling" these notions, people read his work and worked on evolving his writings into actual things? sorry to be such a nay-sayer in this but it comes from my lack of caring for science fiction stuff.

Should have read a little deeper into that obit, maybe. Clarke did his own math.

A radar pioneer in the Royal Air Force during World War II, Clarke wrote a 1945 article in Wireless World magazine in which he outlined a worldwide communications network based on fixed satellites orbiting Earth at an altitude of 22,300 miles -- an orbital area now often referred to as the Clarke Orbit.

Clarke's seminal article, for which he received $40, was published two decades before Syncom II became the world's first communications satellite put into geosynchronous orbit in 1963.

For pioneering the concept of communications satellites, Clarke received a number of honors, including the 1982 Marconi International Fellowship and the Charles A. Lindbergh Award.

But thanks for the RIP, anyway.

I guess.

Should have read a little deeper into that obit, maybe. Clarke did his own math.

I guess.

I guess a RIP from the Pooj really is a RIP! :thumbsup:

The article names my three favorite authors growing up - Clarke, Asimov, and Heinlein. We were reading the Odyssey in school when 2001: A Space Odyssey was in theaters. It helps to read the book before you see the movie!

Just finished reading Behold a Distant Star.

Hope you find some answers on this new odyssey, Sir Arthur!

i am in the process of writing an article about walking cheese wedges, i am sure in about 63 years someone will have picked up on it and come up with a way to make it happen, and for the record i did not give an RIP, so please do not give me thanks. again take this as nothing more than a bastard doing what he does best.....being a bastard

I guess.

i am in the process of writing an article about walking cheese wedges, i am sure in about 63 years someone will have picked up on it and come up with a way to make it happen, and for the record i did not give an RIP, so please do not give me thanks. again take this as nothing more than a bastard doing what he does best.....being a bastard

Bastards are funny.

You're just embarassing yourself by being a completely uninformed and pathetic douchebag.

Classy work in an RIP thread. :lol: