What's your worst sports injury?

cantankerous

Mine was playing basketball in 8th grade...tried to split a triple team near half court and got tripped up...broke and dislocated my right elbow. The big bone in my elbow (can't remember the name) was 3.5 inches out of place and I broke my medial epicondyle (growth plate). It required two screws and two pins to re-attach. Then another surgery to remove the two screws because my elbow was still growing and started hurting like hell.

Let's hear em...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was playing football in a parking lot in college, and was running at full sprint for a pass. I was watching the ball in and my stride went right into a pot hole. I went to the clinic on-campus, and they said that I had severly sprained my ankle. That was about 15 years ago. Last year I severely sprained the same ankle playing basketball, one of those deals where your foot sticks to the floor solid, but the body keeps moving. I went to the ER, and after doing x-rays, the DR. asked me when I had broken my ankle. Long story short, going to the clinic at college was a bad idea. Not too exciting, but it was my worst sports injury. The broken ribs from basketball hurt like h*ll too, but that was my 2nd worst sports injury.

Mine was playing basketball in 8th grade...tried to split a triple team near half court and got tripped up...broke and dislocated my right elbow. The big bone in my elbow (can't remember the name) was 3.5 inches out of place and I broke my medial epicondyle (growth plate). It required two screws and two pins to re-attach. Then another surgery to remove the two screws because my elbow was still growing and started hurting like hell.

Let's hear em...

Dislocated my shoulder during a wrestling match. I pinned the guy with one good arm. :thumbsup:

After eleven dislocations they fixed my rotator cuff and I couldn't wrestle or play football my senior year. :thumbsup:

Some of the concussions (of which only a few were diagnosed - I avoided doctors for the others) and shoulder dislocations (five diagnosed, a few more I set myself) weren't fun. Shoot, I still can't throw overhand.

But the worst injury I suffered at one time was torn medial and lateral menisci and a dislocated patella. FWIW, menisci are the cartilage shock absorbers in the knee, the patella is the kneecap.

I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee back in the mid 80's at GMH in Batavia to repair it but it still acts up every now and then. Although a limp isn't usually noticeable, temp and pressure changes create discomfort that seems to be getting worse with age.

The doc also said my cartilage is degenerating in that knee and eventually I'll need to go in for knee replacement surgery, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Not my story, my cousins wife was playing soccer in high school, and got kicked in the stomach area. Went to the doctor that night who basically said that if she couldn't handle the pain, she shouldn't play. Next morning she woke up to find her skin turning black in that same area. Turns out the kick tore the intestine from the stomach so all the waste products were filling her body cavity. Killed her ovaries so she could never have children.

Not my story, my cousins wife was playing soccer in high school, and got kicked in the stomach area. Went to the doctor that night who basically said that if she couldn't handle the pain, she shouldn't play. Next morning she woke up to find her skin turning black in that same area. Turns out the kick tore the intestine from the stomach so all the waste products were filling her body cavity. Killed her ovaries so she could never have children.

Holy crap.

(pun not intended)

Not exactly a sport, but when I was 10 I went to one of those Alpine Slide parks for my birthday (you know the concrete tracks down a slope where you ride a sled/cart-type thing). I was racing my buddy and lost control going around a curve. I flew off the cart and slid about 30 feet down the concrete track on my elbows and knees wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Brush burn doesn't quite do it justice... :pirate:

And that wasn't even the fun part....the twice daily changing of the bandages aka ripping the wounds back open. Bactine Spray was my miracle. :lol: :lol:

But I'm sure others have been though much, much worse. Been pretty lucky with no majors during 16 years (and counting) of basketball. Mild concussion, broken most of my fingers, my nose and hairline ankle fracture, but no ACLs, shoulder dislocations/tears, etc.

KNOCK ON WOOD. ;)

If you consider playing hide-n-seek a sport, then that is how i got my worst injury. Wehad an abondoned house as base, my freind was chasing me and i tried to get to the steps of the house. Another kid was running towards the stairs at the same time, and he cut me off.

I tripped and flew face first at full speed towards the steps. The steps were worn down and jagged.... I ended up getting carried down the street by one of my neighbors back to my house. My mom called for an ambulance, and i ended up splitting my lip in half, losong 3 teeth, 1/2 of another tooth, splitting open my gums, and getting 23 stiches on my lips to close it all.

Now if you don't consider that a sport, then i'de say my worst was breaking my leg right below the knee on a street curb. we were playing football in the street, Itried to make a sidelinde catch, and slipped. i dropped with my full weight on the curb, snapping the bone in half. It left a pretty nice scar.

I was playing football in an open field. Went out for a pass, the pass was a bit high, so I jumped, and landed my left leg first into a hole the size of a basketball. All my weight came down on the leg, and my leg bent into the shape of an "L" THE WRONG WAY! I laid on the ground in severe pain for about 15 minutes. Tried to get up and put pressure on it. Bad idea, the first step, my leg was bending at the knee in the wrong direction. Freaked me out!

I never went to the hospital for it, I just spent about 3 months straight on the couch in one position while exercising my leg as much as I can tolerate. After a while, I was able to get up, and I used a chair as a walker. It kinda healed itself I guess. I don't know if it was messed up ligaments, or something broken, or whatever. Still to this day my knee gets very tight and sore when I stand or walk for a long time.