We Will Not Take a WR at 11

CJPearl2

Greer and McGee are the best CB tandem in the AFC east?

Are you serious? Is this the same Green that got smoked for about 6 TDS this year by Randy Moss?

Yes, the same one. The Bills and Greer were playing perhaps the best ever QB/WR combination in the history of the NFL who were hitting their peaks and they did this with the worst front seven in the NFL. Brady had zero pressure when playing the Buffalo Bills. No shame should be given to Greer or McGee based on the Pat games. You do realize that even the NFLs best CBs can not cover good WRs when there is no pressure when going against a good NFL QB, right? They literally had no chance.

Yes, the same one. The Bills and Greer were playing perhaps the best ever QB/WR combination in the history of the NFL who were hitting their peaks and they did this with the worst front seven in the NFL. Brady had zero pressure when playing the Buffalo Bills. No shame should be given to Greer or McGee based on the Pat games. You do realize that even the NFLs best CBs can not cover good WRs when there is no pressure when going against a good NFL QB, right? They literally had no chance.

Even if you are right in your assessment, would you agree that there is no depth and we have to hit this position, possibly twice in this draft? I think people need to keep in mind that there is more than just one round, and even if CB is not addressed @#11 it doesn't mean the staff isn't going to replenish.

Even if you are right in your assessment, would you agree that there is no depth and we have to hit this position, possibly twice in this draft? I think people need to keep in mind that there is more than just one round, and even if CB is not addressed @#11 it doesn't mean the staff isn't going to replenish.

In my first reply I mentioned that the Bills may chose a CB with the second round pick if they deemed that Youboty can not cut is as the nickel back. They probably will need to draft one in either the second or third round regardless because the depth is an issue at CB.

I know they aren't big name guys, but they have played well. Remember McGee was out-playing Clements, which is why he got the extention and Clements didn't. Greer beat out a lot of other cornerbacks to get the starting job. I know there were injuries, but he certainly deserves to be starter from how he played last year. Is he Champ Bailly, no! Do the Bills need to add at least another cornerback in this draft, yes!

However, they are definitely not the weakest link on this team.

There is no way the Bills will draft a WR at #11. This isn't to say that they will try and trade down and pick one up later in Round One, but they will not - guarantee - pick one at #11. The price isn't right nor are the players worth that much money.

If we stay at #11, we will take a DL or a CB.

Lee Evans at 13 was a horrible pick. Those two spots make a whole lot of difference.

You do realize we are just drafting Lee Evans again. Except this time we are drafting someone to compliment lee, not Eric

Wide receiver is the only position where we have a desperate need. There are probably 5-7 starting caliber (for next year) receivers in this draft (Kelly, Sweed, Hardy, Jackson, Thomas, Manningham, and maybe Doucet) and there is a decent chance that all of them may be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd round. A lot of teams need receiving help and those guys at the end of the 1st and beginning of the 2nd are great values.

That is a huge risk to take when you don't have a #2 receiver or even a backup that's really suited to the outside spot. As much as the value might not align at #11, we may have to bite the bullet and take the guy we like best or trade down if we can - but you can't rely on that.

If the Bills felt WR was a "desperate" need, they should have signed Bryant Johnson for $2mil for 1 year.

Obviously, the Bills do not view the WR situation as critical as most of this board.

They should take the best player at #11 - and that will probably be a LB or OT before a WR

If the Bills felt WR was a "desperate" need, they should have signed Bryant Johnson for $2mil for 1 year.

Obviously, the Bills do not view the WR situation as critical as most of this board.

They should take the best player at #11 - and that will probably be a LB or OT before a WR

You're equating the non-signing of Bryant Johnson as proof that the Bills don't think the WR is critical? That's just crazy. Johnson was never going to be the answer to who would be able to draw attention away from Evans. The proof of that is how little interest there was in his services thoughout the NFL. Johnson is a first round bust. The Bill were looking for a WR that had experience who if given an incentive laden contract would be able to provide some depth and short term starter options at the #2. In other words, the Bills were going to draft a wide receiver in the first round regardless of whether they signed Johnson. Maybe you erased it from your memory, but the Bills offense was the worst ever in team history because of the critical WR situation. Seeing how smart the Bills (yes I did say smart) have been so far this offseason almost guarantees that they will do the smart thing once again and draft a WR at #11.

After watching the Super Bowl, the whole viewing world learned how to be successful against the evil empire. You first and foremost pressure Tom Brady! Our DT aquisitions will make our defense much better, but will our DEs get to Brady like Strahan and company? Possibly, but the Bills could have their eye on a guy like Harvey, a DE who would compete with Kelsay and give us better depth at the position. Just a thought.

After watching the Super Bowl, the whole viewing world learned how to be successful against the evil empire. You first and foremost pressure Tom Brady! Our DT aquisitions will make our defense much better, but will our DEs get to Brady like Strahan and company? Possibly, but the Bills could have their eye on a guy like Harvey, a DE who would compete with Kelsay and give us better depth at the position. Just a thought.

I was totally with you on the pass rusher thing too until we didn't address the receiver issue in FA. Even if we had picked up Johnson, that would have given us at least some flexibility to maybe pick up a receiver in the 2nd or 3rd. But now that we need a guy to start from week 1, I think another pass rusher might be a luxury at 11. I really think though that the DT upgrades and Denney being healthy this year will really help the DE's. They were overexposed last year from a lack of depth and interior help.

If you wait on WR, this is the type of guy that may be available in the 4th.

Varoius remarks on him and others:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008WR.php

We should extend Evans, but if we can't before the draft do we also look for a future #1 WR in round 1/2? It seems more difficult (expensive) to procure a #1 WR through free agency compared to other positions.

There is no way the Bills will draft a WR at #11. This isn't to say that they will try and trade down and pick one up later in Round One, but they will not - guarantee - pick one at #11. The price isn't right nor are the players worth that much money.

If we stay at #11, we will take a DL or a CB.

Harvey might be a nice pick at 11.

The more i think about it I am convinced that teams will want to trade with the Bills for the 11th pick. Most teams do not want a top ten pick because of the price -risk issues. But 11 is another story. So if a team wants a Harvey or another pick they might deal with the Bills for it.

I would love an extra second and then trade back into the first. Or keep the second and have 3 players out of the first two rounds.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone still think a WR is being drafted at 11?

I said it before (this tread in March) and I will say it again: The Bills WILL NOT go WR at 11.

And I think Modrak and Brandon's comment's this week have confirmed that they - like last year (see Trent Edwards pick) - will hold to their board and not reach for a "need" position.

Does anyone still think a WR is being drafted at 11?

I said it before (this tread in March) and I wil say it again: The Bills WILL NOT go WR at 11.

And I think Modrak and Brandon's comment's this week have confirmed that they - like last year (see Trent Edwards pick) - will hold to their board and not reach for a "need" position.

I don't think they're taking DRC either. I heard that Jauron was not high on him after seeing the film, too much of a boom-bust type to risk the 11th pick on.

I agree with your point. Whether or not our starting CBs will be better with the upgrade at DT needs to be seen. It also remains to be seen if the light will go on for Youboty. But we can ill afford to go into the season with little depth at that position. Which round we draft this depth is debatable and depends on the all-mighty value chart.

Agreed.