Bryant Johnson

haus

Bryant Johnson...To follow up our earlier report, ESPN's Michael Smith is now reporting that Bryant Johnson has signed a one year contract with the San Francisco 49'ers...the offers that Johnson had reportedly received from other teams on the market weren't what he and his agent had expected... so Johnson accepted the Niners one year deal in hopes of padding his stats in Mike Martz's offense and hit the open market once again in 2009.

Link:

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/AlsHotNwsRms.html

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm a SF fan I'm not exactly crazy about a guy who has obviously signed with my team solely to be a one-and-done stat-padder. I "guess" I'm happy if he lights it up, but it's not like SF is winning the SB this year and then he'll leave to the highest bidder?

One year deals for anything other than role players or aging veterans just rub me the wrong way. I'm glad the Bills didn't wind up with him.

I thought Hackett signed with Tampa Bay.

Getting very slim..

Hey! I just heard the sky is falling! :lol: No link though.. :lol:

Ha the sky is far from falling here. Its really no biggie imo.We can Trade down in the draft and grab Hardy first. Then DE with next pick, followed by cornerback with our second round pick. Third round on we can get 1 or 2 more WRs(Jordy Nelson,Adarius Bowman,Marcus Monk) Throw in a LB like Highsmith and a FB like Schmitt in between. That would be a sweet draft. Then we just start whichever of the 3 rookie WRs is catching on the best opposite Lee.

1a)Hardy

1b)DE or CB (Best available)Merling,Flowers ect.

2 )CB or DE (Best available)Flowers,Merling ect.

3 )LB or center(Best available)Highsmith,Justice ect.

4 )WR Nelson or FB Schmitt

5 )FB Schmitt or WR Bowman

6 )WR Monk

7 ) Best available athelete

7 )Best available athelete

This is a joke. You really have to wonder if the Bills ever made Johnson any sort of offer. If they did, I would venture to guess that is was on the lines of what the Dolphins paid Ernest Wilford.

Taking a one year deal from the 49ers, trying to catch balls from Alex Smith, it doesn't get any worse than that. Does anyone remember the Monday night game late last season between the 49ers and Seahawks? Smith played as bad as any QB I have seen this side of vintage Joey Harrington in Buffalo circa 2006

Thank God. Malcolm Kelly at pick 11. This is the best thing that could've happend for the Bills. No sense overpaying an unproven guy for multiple years or signing him for 1 year and being right back into the same position the next year after he doesn't produce. You go with the safe, best bet. Malcom Kelly.

BOO-YA.

well i am disappointed.i really thought bryant could do good here in buffalo.it would also have given the bills the flexability to draft a corner in the first round.now we have to draft malcomb or sweed....good luck to johnson in that martz system that gets wideouts killed.i heard johnson on sirius saying that he grew up a big niner's fan,so you cant fault a player for picking to play for a team he always rooted for.....................go bills!

This is a joke. You really have to wonder if the Bills ever made Johnson any sort of offer. If they did, I would venture to guess that is was on the lines of what the Dolphins paid Ernest Wilford.

Taking a one year deal from the 49ers, trying to catch balls from Alex Smith, it doesn't get any worse than that. Does anyone remember the Monday night game late last season between the 49ers and Seahawks? Smith played as bad as any QB I have seen this side of vintage Joey Harrington in Buffalo circa 2006

Alex Smith is horrible. He has put up some of the worst QB performances I have ever seen

Bryant Johnson, Isaac Bruce, Darrell Jackson, Arnaz Battle, Ashley Lelie and Jason Hill -- I don't know anything about Jason Hill but, with the exception of Bruce, I don't know if I've seen a bigger collection of underachievers in one place. BRA-VO! San Fran.

It's a good thing Tony Bennett left his heart in San Francisco, because these guys are going to need it.

If I'm a SF fan I'm not exactly crazy about a guy who has obviously signed with my team solely to be a one-and-done stat-padder. I "guess" I'm happy if he lights it up, but it's not like SF is winning the SB this year and then he'll leave to the highest bidder?

One year deals for anything other than role players or aging veterans just rub me the wrong way. I'm glad the Bills didn't wind up with him.

Exactly, if SF were in position to compete for the Superbowl, this deal might make sense for the team. As it is it makes NO sense unless SF has an option for more years we don't know about.

Bryant Johnson IS a role player. If I were a SF fan, I couldn't care less about his contract.

It's not the contract I'd care about, it's the player. He's not going there to help build a winning franchise -- he's taking a paycheck while trying to pad his stats so he can hit the market again. You think he's going to be a "team guy" when they need him to be?

nice job by Chris Brown on what went down between the Bills and Johnson

At that point the Johnson camp decided they wanted a one-year deal. Buffalo does not give one-year deals to 26-year old players. They are trying to build something over the long haul. A one-year deal doesn't help the team. If they signed Johnson to a one-year deal and he has a big year, then re-signing the player becomes difficult, he signs elsewhere for crazy money and the Bills would be in the same boat they're in now in terms of filling the #2 receiver role.

Obviously he wanted more money than Buffalo was willing to give him. So instead, he took a one-year deal with a team that has a lot of second/third receivers. My guess is that he has a mediocre year at San Fran, becomes a FA again next year and still doesn't get the big contract.

Plus, the Niners' offense has two below average QBs but a stud TE and RB. Most of the plays will be aimed at the TE and the RB even though Martz is now the OC. Even if they pass a lot, Martz prefers the faster WRs that can get off the ball quick.

I think this is a poor choice on Johnson's part. Although I am proud of the Bills for not overpaying for him and can now focus on getting a better WR in a deep WR draft class.

Obviously he wanted more money than Buffalo was willing to give him. So instead, he took a one-year deal with a team that has a lot of second/third receivers. My guess is that he has a mediocre year at San Fran, becomes a FA again next year and still doesn't get the big contract.

Plus, the Niners' offense has two below average QBs but a stud TE and RB. Most of the plays will be aimed at the TE and the RB even though Martz is now the OC. Even if they pass a lot, Martz prefers the faster WRs that can get off the ball quick.

I think this is a poor choice on Johnson's part. Although I am proud of the Bills for not overpaying for him and can now focus on getting a better WR in a deep WR draft class.

What do we have at QB and WR? Not that I disagree with you about not signing Johnson....very overrated. San Francisco is the new Washington