Wearing a hat during the National Anthem

OnTheRocks

Nothing shows more respect to the flag and anthem than yelling to people about their headgear and starting a fight while the song is being performed.

...and since this is AMERICA, a little gun play really ices the patriotic cake.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're saying that you may not have been raised properly?

Oh yes, I'm quite sure of it! I was reared in Bangladesh by militant Sufis who actually deigned to kill bugs by not sweeping in front of their feet when they walked! Every morning, before breakfast, we also burned Michael Jordan Nike T-shirts in front of our thatched hut because we couldn't afford any material that American Propaganda was printed on.

Patriotic cakes. That is a real can of worms there.

Can we all agree not to make/ice a cake like the American flag?

You can make one, but not eat it.

Also, remember come Memorial Day and July 4th, not to buy any plates/napkins with a flag on them.

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkin or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.

Flag Code - Respect

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever.

Somebody please alert the administration and both major political parties. :thumbsup:

On a largely separate topic: does anyone know the proper way to dispose of an all-weather flag? We've got an old very thread-worn one (i.e. it's split straight down the middle), and as much as I support flag burning...it's synthetic fabric (nylon, maybe), and hence burning it is environmentally unsound. But I can't just throw it in the trash, obviously. Anyone know a proper alternative method to burning for disposing of it?

Somebody please alert the administration and both major political parties. :thumbsup:

On a largely separate topic: does anyone know the proper way to dispose of an all-weather flag? We've got an old very thread-worn one (i.e. it's split straight down the middle), and as much as I support flag burning...it's synthetic fabric (nylon, maybe), and hence burning it is environmentally unsound. But I can't just throw it in the trash, obviously. Anyone know a proper alternative method to burning for disposing of it?

Take it to the VFW or American legion. They will take care of it properly.

Why do women have to wear shirts in public places? Why do I have to wear pants to work? Much like my Dad used to say when I asked him a question "Because, that's why."

I didn't ask why people do it. I asked why it's considered disrespectful not to do it. There's a difference. People do it because that's what people do. Like you said, "because, that's why". But why is it disrespectful? That's what doesn't make sense to me. It's such a random thing. It's like saying leaving your contacts in when the shuttle takes off is disrespectful.

In some Asian countries you take your shoes off before going in someone's house. It's considered disrespectful not to because you are bringing in dirt to someones home.

In many countries it's disrespectful to touch someone with your left hand because it's the hand they wipe with.

In the US, it's disrespectful to leave your hat on when the Anthem is playing because.....someone told us so???