Levy Comments about Turner

jri111

This part actually concerns me the most, becuase it indicates potential problems with contract talks between the Bills and Turner. A Trade and compensation can be worked out anytime and the most likely senario is on draft day. However, if there is no long term contract in place a draft day trade is dead in the water.

On the contrary, Turners agent confirmed that both the Titans and Bills are yet to contact him, which means no contract has been negotiated. I think it is more to do with satisfying the ego and compensation request of AJ Smith.

I agree 100%. I think what Marv is doing is telling AJ that we'd be interested in a trade, but not for what you are offering. Not saying what he would or would not give up for Turner is exactly how you keep AJ guessing. Because let me tell you this, Turner at 2.5 mil a year and about 5-7 carries/game, behind the best RB in the league is not worth it. So AJ has to get something now before SD takes a $2.5 mil cap hit and nothing in return when Turner leaves next year.

I disagree...For a team that close to the super bowl, a backup who has been pretty good in their system is worth the 2.5M investment even if he walks next year for nothing. They definitely would not throw their season down the drain due to want of a good backup RB for their system.

All he is saying is that the trade all depends on the draft and the trade may occur on draft day if specific things happen. For example, if AP falls to us, we will not trade for MT. If we can trade up for AP at a reasonable price, we will not need MT. Now if AP and Willis are both off the board, he may swap first round picks to get MT.

I disagree...For a team that close to the super bowl, a backup who has been pretty good in their system is worth the 2.5M investment even if he walks next year for nothing. They definitely would not throw their season down the drain due to want of a good backup RB for their system.

The Chargers can take our 2nd round pick and pick any other RB not named Peterson or Lynch and sign him for 5 years at a fraction of MT's price. They will then have a good back-up RB for cheaper than MT.

I think AJ is being short-sighted. What happens after the 2007 season? Are the Chargers not going to be a contender anymore? Will they not need a good RB to back-up LT after next season, when MT walks?

The Chargers can take our 2nd round pick and pick any other RB not named Peterson or Lynch and sign him for 5 years at a fraction of MT's price. They will then have a good back-up RB for cheaper than MT.

I think AJ is being short-sighted. What happens after the 2007 season? Are the Chargers not going to be a contender anymore? Will they not need a good RB to back-up LT after next season, when MT walks?

Since Turner is the next coming of God, they should keep him and trade LT.

Dammit Marv, don't do it. He's practically shouting to the world that he's willing to give up a 1 & 3 to get Turner. I think this is a big mistake by Marv. :blink:

Marv does not have to offer a 1st and a 3rd. If he is willing to give up that much he can just sign Turner to an offer sheet. Turner's compensation as a RFA is a 1st and 3rd. Pay attention.

It sounds like everyone is practicing buyer 101. A final great negotiating tactic if you plan to make a deal is to walk out of the door and see if the seller runs after you with his "new" final offer.

AJ did this with sending word out that Turner is likely to remain in SD and now Marv is saying this with a quote which in no way says he is willing to give up a 1st and a 3rd (despite some panicking in this thread) but that its complex and all options including not making a deal are open.

The Bills should trade down the #12 if we can (Peterson likely will not drop that far and if he does it may well mean his injury is serious) and Willis is the best of a not as strong as last year LB crop with no consensus top 10 pick amongst the LBs).

With the additional 2nd and.or thirds we pick up for flipping firsts with a later drafting team we can still pick up Pos (or Timmons if people want) and have enough extra first day picks we can chose two of the first day rated RBs one of whom may well step up to be the #1 or give us a lot of options with A-Train for an RBBC.

If we can get extra first day picks we get better faster IMHO by creating more competition in camp.

It sounds like everyone is practicing buyer 101. A final great negotiating tactic if you plan to make a deal is to walk out of the door and see if the seller runs after you with his "new" final offer.

AJ did this with sending word out that Turner is likely to remain in SD and now Marv is saying this with a quote which in no way says he is willing to give up a 1st and a 3rd (despite some panicking in this thread) but that its complex and all options including not making a deal are open.

The Bills should trade down the #12 if we can (Peterson likely will not drop that far and if he does it may well mean his injury is serious) and Willis is the best of a not as strong as last year LB crop with no consensus top 10 pick amongst the LBs).

With the additional 2nd and.or thirds we pick up for flipping firsts with a later drafting team we can still pick up Pos (or Timmons if people want) and have enough extra first day picks we can chose two of the first day rated RBs one of whom may well step up to be the #1 or give us a lot of options with A-Train for an RBBC.

If we can get extra first day picks we get better faster IMHO by creating more competition in camp.

Yeah - I can see how getting a bunch of backups in a weak draft to compete with each will get us over the hump.

We need playmakers and difference makers.

Since Turner is the next coming of God, they should keep him and trade LT.

No, AJ, the all-great holder of secrets, is the second coming of God. They should put him in the backfield. Does he actually know how much of an ass he sounds like? At first, I thought that article was a parody.

No, what they will have is an inexperienced backup RB behind LT who may become good, or may be a bust for a fraction of the price. They know what they have in Turner and apparently its good enough to not just give it away for nothing. What SD is willing to do is take one last shot with 2 good running backs before they lose one to FA. Next year MT walks and they can atleast say they gave it one more shot with him.

All Marv is saying is that theres more to a deal right now then just giving up a pick to get him. Theres a new contract that will need to be negotiated, picks will be exchanged, possibly other players exchanged. Right now theres been discussions, but at the moment a deal is not in the works. Chances are its looking like a draft day deal if it were to happen. I read a rumor on MSN.com (fox sports I believe) that said that the Chargers are looking for a first because they want to deal up in the draft (maybe to #1-2 for Johnson or for a CB/S that could be had around 8-12) so that is a reason they want high picks. I coud see a swap of first with Buffalo for Turner being worked out if they can't get Johnson, and the CB/S is available around 12

Another move is to offer SD a swap of firsts, Buffalo gets Turner and the #30 pick (could possibly get Poz, and Timmons should be there) and SD gets the #12 (as stated in my last post, they are rumored to want to move up) Buffalo has a 1a running back, and a good LB, without losing any picks

Another move is to offer SD a swap of firsts, Buffalo gets Turner and the #30 pick (could possibly get Poz, and Timmons should be there) and SD gets the #12 (as stated in my last post, they are rumored to want to move up) Buffalo has a 1a running back, and a good LB, without losing any picks

If that were to occur, the Bills could take the #30 pick and package it with one of the third rounders (or 2nd rounder) and get the LB (or DT, or CB) they want. they'd still have their second rounder and third rounder (or two third rounders) left and will have the RB "fixed". I'd rather keep all the picks, but if there were a player at #22 (Poz?), or something, and they could get it done with a trade, they have the picks to make it happen. If you wouldn't be happy with Turner and Poz for your first two picks...then, I really don't know what to say to you.

And, for the record, i DIDN"T consult the value chart and just picked #22 out of the air (I think it's Dallas)...it was a hypothetical situation.

If that were to occur, the Bills could take the #30 pick and package it with one of the third rounders (or 2nd rounder) and get the LB (or DT, or CB) they want. they'd still have their second rounder and third rounder (or two third rounders) left and will have the RB "fixed". I'd rather keep all the picks, but if there were a player at #22 (Poz?), or something, and they could get it done with a trade, they have the picks to make it happen. If you wouldn't be happy with Turner and Poz for your first two picks...then, I really don't know what to say to you.

And, for the record, i DIDN"T consult the value chart and just picked #22 out of the air (I think it's Dallas)...it was a hypothetical situation.

man, I have been saying this all along, but you know how it is here, if Willis isn't a Bill on the 28th, heads will roll, and the doom and gloomers will be out in full force because Willis is the answer to all our problems. Also they should be able to pick up Turner for peanuts because he has never been a stating NFL RB, he couldn't beat out LT for that job.

Its either draft Willis or Trade down to stock pile picks

Yeah, I had this weird mushy growth on my right nipple last year, it looked like a mutated fruit loop. :blink: I got it lasered off and I felt much better about myself. :blink:

Thanks for sharing that information. :lol:

:thumbsup:

Maybe Marv would be suprised if this trade happens because he has decided to draft a RB instead? That may be one of the 'complexities' he speaks of. It wouldn't be the first time he has completely dropped his interest in a player upon learning the price tag (Titans FA RB Chris Brown is a good example).

You are really oversimplifying his response - to your own detriment since it is upsetting you.

Marv did not "shout" anything close to that. What he did say is that the answer to the question is not a simple "yes" or "no" which means exactly that. Thus, IF the Bills were to give up their 1st this year then a number of things have to happen - not only a pre agreement on an acceptable deal with Turner - but also players of interest for the Bils not on the draftboard at pick 12 and players of interest ON the draftboard for the Chargers. Plus, there will undoubtedly be other compensation to the Bills (such as the Chargers 1st or the chargers 2nd etc etc)/ The list is long of possibilities. Informing the media of this would simply help other potential trade partners (Tennesee). Therefore, it would be FOOLISH for Marv to answer the question.

relax, man. Marv is a pretty savvy guy.

and his 1st draft was , arguably, one of the best in Bills history.

Oversimplification = exactly