Finally!!!

USMCBillsFan

I just heard the press conference. Un!@#$ing believable..........

Nifong should be hung by his balls till they rip off.

Prosecutorial misconduct...the charge of such is far and few, and they end up being is a declaration of mistrial. :w00t:

I hope there is a hellacious lawsuit against him, and the State. As well as charges against the lying plaintiff.

Prosecutorial misconduct...the charge of such is far and few, and they end up being is a declaration of mistrial. :w00t:

I hope there is a hellacious lawsuit against him, and the State. As well as charges against the lying plaintiff.

And yet at the beginning, the lynch mob was mobilizing for miles and miles around.... Where are they all now when the facts of the case have seemingly been weighed and assessed?

And yet at the beginning, the lynch mob was mobilizing for miles and miles around.... Where are they all now?

They are still there, wringing their hands and wiping away their tears as they continue to represent themselves as impartial journalists on MS-NBC, CNN, CBS, NBC, and ABC, I suppose...

And yet at the beginning, the lynch mob was mobilizing for miles and miles around.... Where are they all now when the facts of the case have seemingly been weighed and assessed?

Yes, I'd certainly like to hear from all those "progressive" Duke professors that signed the bold statement condeming these young men days after their arrest. :w00t:

Yes, I'd certainly like to hear from all those "progressive" Duke professors that signed the bold statement condeming these young men days after their arrest. :w00t:

Excellent point. Those young men should have their scholarship reinstated ( if needed) or their complete Collage education paid for by the University.

Excellent point. Those young men should have their scholarship reinstated ( if needed) or their complete Collage education paid for by the University.

I read I believe it was on yahoo news today that the families of the duke students have asked the university to pay for their legal fees, which are supposed to be somewhere around 3 million dollars. So far Duke is noncommittal about this so we shall see what happens.

I don't know the law, but considering how many dollars the innocent have to spend on legal fees, true justice in all "Prosecutor gone wild" cases should include restitution of all legal fees to the accused. If the law is truly "innocent until proven guilty", then all innocent should not have to pay legal fees when a prosecutor decides to make a name for himself. If the burden of proof is truly on the prosecution, then the price of presenting a case where the defendant is found not guilty should not include the financial ruin of the defendant. If the municipalities had to pay for all not guilty verdicts, maybe they would be a little more careful before they present cases for trial. I can't imagine what it would be like to be falsely accused of a crime and have to go bankrupt in order to prove it. If your government wants to hire prosecutors who either pursue too many cases or are too incompetent to win the case, it should have to hold the defendants harmless. Not guilty & financially ruined just isn't justice.

I don't know the law, but considering how many dollars the innocent have to spend on legal fees, true justice in all "Prosecutor gone wild" cases should include restitution of all legal fees to the accused. If the law is truly "innocent until proven guilty", then all innocent should not have to pay legal fees when a prosecutor decides to make a name for himself. If the burden of proof is truly on the prosecution, then the price of presenting a case where the defendant is found not guilty should not include the financial ruin of the defendant. If the municipalities had to pay for all not guilty verdicts, maybe they would be a little more careful before they present cases for trial. I can't imagine what it would be like to be falsely accused of a crime and have to go bankrupt in order to prove it. If your government wants to hire prosecutors who either pursue too many cases or are too incompetent to win the case, it should have to hold the defendants harmless. Not guilty & financially ruined just isn't justice.

I'd have no problem with the players' legal fees after the 1st week or 2, when it appears the DA had enough evidence to know he'd never get a conviction, being paid for. I have a feeling that their legal fees and much more will end up getting paid for after their wrongful prosecution and other suits work through the system.

Question. Would you allow OJ to have his legal fees paid for as his was a not guilty verdict?

I'd have no problem with the players' legal fees after the 1st week or 2, when it appears the DA had enough evidence to know he'd never get a conviction, being paid for. I have a feeling that their legal fees and much more will end up getting paid for after their wrongful prosecution and other suits work through the system.

Question. Would you allow OJ to have his legal fees paid for as his was a not guilty verdict?

Verdict vs. dropped charges.

Unfortunately, under my proposal, the answer is yes. I would qualify it under the government being accountable for the incompetence of its prosecutors. If they can't hire competent prosecutors then it's their own fault they lost the case. The idiot who got coaxed into asking OJ to try on the glove should have had to pay OJ's fees out of his own pocket so he'd never do anything that stupid again.

I would qualify it under the government being accountable for the incompetence of its prosecutors. If they can't hire competent prosecutors then it's their own fault they lost the case.

Unfortunately, in this case, the prosecutor was elected and not hired. Elected by the same people that wanted to see these kids hang because they are "privlaged".

The only shot these kids have is if Duke foots the bill, since it is not possible to sue a public office. I do think that there should be an expection here, as it became apparent that Nifong was acting in his own best interest, that his negligence be deemed malicious intent.

Unfortunately, under my proposal, the answer is yes. I would qualify it under the government being accountable for the incompetence of its prosecutors. If they can't hire competent prosecutors then it's their own fault they lost the case. The idiot who got coaxed into asking OJ to try on the glove should have had to pay OJ's fees out of his own pocket so he'd never do anything that stupid again.

With that being the case, I'd have concerns that your system would allow many criminals to go free (unprosecuted) because of reluctance of prosecutors to prosecute any non "open and shut" case. Heck, even some of those, if the defendant has enough resources like OJ did, probably won't get prosecuted because there is too much risk to the municipality to try the suspect.

I definitely don't want prosecutors trying to railroad people like in this case, but I would like to believe cases like this one are the exception and not the rule. I am also hopeful that the DA is going to find out that there are worse things in this world than not getting reelected.

I think there already are wrongful prosecution statutes on the books in most municipalities. (I could be mistaken about that though.) I'd be interested in seeing how this all finally ends up before wanting to add new laws that bring some significant unintended consequences.