Take note of today's(04/09) TEXANS State of franchise...

I know it has been of much debate considering the possible bias in the news media concerning the bills. It may be of interest to watch this particular state of the franchise. Are Buffalo and Houston both considered the same in terms of small market, non national favorite type? It's on right now so if anyone can watch it keeping this in mind perhaps we will find some perspective? Pretend your a Texans fan watching the segment and let's see if bias plays any part.

Well maybe it's just NFL network but this seems pretty neutral....The texans have made some pretty bad mistakes in the last year or two... They mentioned it but did not dwell on it. Overall liked the moves to get green and schaub. Too neutral even if the teams were closer in market size to determine much...

Well maybe it's just NFL network but this seems pretty neutral....The texans have made some pretty bad mistakes in the last year or two... They mentioned it but did not dwell on it. Overall liked the moves to get green and schaub. Too neutral even if the teams were closer in market size to determine much...

Good work! :w00t:

Houston is the 4th Largest City in the USA...hardly a small market

Not to get picky---but Houston is the 8th largest US metro area in population--which is how things are measured these days..--but it is of course --as you say--NOT a small market by any means.

Not to get picky---but Houston is the 8th largest US metro area in population--which is how things are measured these days..--but it is of course --as you say--NOT a small market by any means.

Not to get picky but you're both wrong. Houston is the 6th largest metro, just announced last week!!!

As anyone who knows me from this baord, I'm a stickler for using data right data, especially demographics (it's a part of my line of work!).

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/4689569.html

Not to get picky but you're both wrong. Houston is the 6th largest metro, just announced last week!!!

As anyone who knows me from this baord, I'm a stickler for using data right data, especially demographics (it's a part of my line of work!).

all fine and good, but the real question: do they have the 6th largest fan base? i don't think so. also, they're a young franchise, so all they have to base on in terms of their history is their X number of losing seasons. what is it now, 5? 6? so even texans fans can't complain cause they've never been winners.

all fine and good, but the real question: do they have the 6th largest fan base? i don't think so. also, they're a young franchise, so all they have to base on in terms of their history is their X number of losing seasons. what is it now, 5? 6? so even texans fans can't complain cause they've never been winners.

ummm ... Oilers?

OK OK... some have called BALT-WASH and SF-OAK-SAN JOSE as individual metro areas....but I see that the US census bureau does not.Hence the difference...from one stickler to another.

just responding to your assumption that Houston is new - they have a pretty storied history. It's like saying Cleveland's a young franchise.

true, i would agree with that. just that when i think of the texans, the oilers don't come to mind at all. only 2 things come to mind when i think texans football: 1. they've never been winners and 2. they've lead the lead in sacks allowed for the last like 5 years.

OK OK... some have called BALT-WASH and SF-OAK-SAN JOSE as individual metro areas....but I see that the US census bureau does not.Hence the difference...from one stickler to another.

You're still wrong. The way the NFL and other entities using ranks is by why the US Census Bureau calls Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs), which for the sake of brevity is the "region." It's not a city proper, like just the city of Buffalo for example. Our's is called the Buffalo-Niagara MSA and consists of Erie and Niagara Counties. The ways that is developed has to do with commuting but that info is too boring to deal with here.

And for the "do they have the 6th largest fan base," well how would you measure that? The tried and true method is the assumption (right or wrong) that the MSA or regional population is your fan base.

I've argue on these boards that Buffalo is in fact not a small market if you looked at the geography of our region and included greater Rochester and Canada as far west/north as Hamilton. Take that area and add the population (I have the data at work) and you end up with a very large top 10 market for the Bills. However, the archaic "commuting" methodology use by the Census to determine the MSA leaves the Bills shortchanged because our actual Bills "region" is larger.

And making it even more unfair is the fact that if you take the geographic area (square miles) of say Atlanta's MSA and created a new Buffalo MSA using that area, you would HAVE TO include most of Rochester and southern Ontario!!!

You're still wrong. The way the NFL and other entities using ranks is by why the US Census Bureau calls Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs), which for the sake of brevity is the "region." It's not a city proper, like just the city of Buffalo for example. Our's is called the Buffalo-Niagara MSA and consists of Erie and Niagara Counties. The ways that is developed has to do with commuting but that info is too boring to deal with here.

And for the "do they have the 6th largest fan base," well how would you measure that? The tried and true method is the assumption (right or wrong) that the MSA or regional population is your fan base.

I've argue on these boards that Buffalo is in fact not a small market if you looked at the geography of our region and included greater Rochester and Canada as far west/north as Hamilton. Take that area and add the population (I have the data at work) and you end up with a very large top 10 market for the Bills. However, the archaic "commuting" methodology use by the Census to determine the MSA leaves the Bills shortchanged because our actual Bills "region" is larger.

And making it even more unfair is the fact that if you take the geographic area (square miles) of say Atlanta's MSA and created a new Buffalo MSA using that area, you would HAVE TO include most of Rochester and southern Ontario!!!

Good post. Same thing with the TV ratings I believe. The Canadian homes that receive and watch the Bills games I don't think are figured into the Neilson's. Obviously, the NFL knows all this stuff.

zonab you gonad

Good post. Same thing with the TV ratings I believe. The Canadian homes that receive and watch the Bills games I don't think are figured into the Neilson's. Obviously, the NFL knows all this stuff.

The Canadian market is NOT counted into the Buffalo market's ratings.

BUT, they are there and everyone knows they are there. There is now, i believe, a Nielsen report that includes the Canadian audience in actually viewership (numbers of viewers), but not ratings (percentage of viewers). I'd like to think that the report is, in some small way, due to a young research guy who, in the late 80's, spent endless hours demonstrating the benefit of the audience to Nielsen and major advertisers. Of course, I could be wrong.

they've lead the lead in sacks allowed for the last like 5 years.

They are trying to fix that with a left tackle (Jordan Black ex KC) signed for about 2 million a year -- less than half of what the Bills will be paying the mysterious Langston Walker. If Ralph is cheap, how can Houston even be described ?

They are trying to fix that with a left tackle (Jordan Black ex KC) signed for about 2 million a year -- less than half of what the Bills will be paying the mysterious Langston Walker. If Ralph is cheap, how can Houston even be described ?

You know I saw an interesting piece on the Raiders on sunday on ESPN. They were interviewing Porter & they said why did he not want to play for Art Shell. He said coach Shell && coach Florres basically had no clue what they were doing. He said their line assignments for the oline were just baffling & that the line actually was decent(he singled out gallery saying the guy just didnt forget how to block overnight). He said they were asking each lineman to do something different & it was more the scheme then the poor play of the oline. Anyways, I think this boads well for Mr Walker & our oline this year. I think he will be a nice addition.

The Canadian market is NOT counted into the Buffalo market's ratings.

BUT, they are there and everyone knows they are there. There is now, i believe, a Nielsen report that includes the Canadian audience in actually viewership (numbers of viewers), but not ratings (percentage of viewers). I'd like to think that the report is, in some small way, due to a young research guy who, in the late 80's, spent endless hours demonstrating the benefit of the audience to Nielsen and major advertisers. Of course, I could be wrong.

Your much younger brother?