Bills coaching staffs over the last 10 years

Wade Phillips era- i liked coach Phillips. if i remember correctly he was the last coach to have us in the playoffs and under him our defense was second best in the league two years in a row (unless im mistaken). these were the Rob Johnson/Doug Flutie times. haha what an era that was! the DC and he did a great job too.. This regime was the last remnants of the Marv Levy bills dynasty era. Grade A-

Gregg Williams- team didn't really do much but we had tommy donawhore running the show and he was too caught up in free agency. Gregg had Jerry Gray as a DC... I remember he got signed soon after Donawhore and they chose him because they thought he was very well organized and brought good structure.. guess they should have gone for a guy that knew how to coach. Grade C+

Mike Mularkey- hmm lets see,., was a sub par OC for the bills then got the promotion to head coach, GREAT IDEA!! wasn't a players coach at all but he did have a good defense one season thanks to Coach Gray and his staff and was fortunate to have Bobby April run his special teams. Take those two out of the equation and you basically get a pile of sh--. I feel he really set back JP Losman with that whole switching out of the QB job over the course of the season. PICK A QB AND STICK WITH IT FOR CHRIST SAKE! I dont think the players really liked him much, they sounded relieved to get coach Jauron. Grade C-

Dick Jauron- Bills better then expected last year. Really helped with the development of JP. I feel like he is really benefiting from Marv Levy running the show now but considering how many young guys marv left him with last year i would say that he did an excellent job helping those players develop into solid starters quick!!! Marv obviously wanted a coach that knew how to coach and develop and maxamize young talent. So far so good. Grade B+

Im not the most knowledgeable fan but what do you guys think?

I think you might be a tad generous with Wade, I would give him a B+. Of course if you are grading on a curve based on what followed him he gets an A+. I would base the B+ on the QB fiasco and depleting talent on the team (though the former may have been the owner and the later the GM).

I couldn't go over a C for Greggo

Juron=too new to rate.

Wade Phillips era- i liked coach Phillips. if i remember correctly he was the last coach to have us in the playoffs and under him our defense was second best in the league two years in a row (unless im mistaken). these were the Rob Johnson/Doug Flutie times. haha what an era that was! the DC and he did a great job too.. This regime was the last remnants of the Marv Levy bills dynasty era. Grade A-

Gregg Williams- team didn't really do much but we had tommy donawhore running the show and he was too caught up in free agency. Gregg had Jerry Gray as a DC if i remember correctly and Dousche bag Mike Mularkey as the OC... I remember he got signed soon after Donawhore and they chose him because they thought he was very well organized and brought good structure.. guess they should have gone for a guy that knew how to coach. Grade C+

Mike Mularkey- hmm lets see,., was a sub par OC for the bills then got the promotion to head coach, GREAT IDEA!! wasn't a players coach at all but he did have a good defense one season thanks to Coach Gray and his staff and was fortunate to have Bobby April run his special teams. Take those two out of the equation and you basically get a pile of sh--. I feel he really set back JP Losman with that whole switching out of the QB job over the course of the season. PICK A QB AND STICK WITH IT FOR CHRIST SAKE! I dont think the players really liked him much, they sounded relieved to get coach Jauron. Grade C-

Dick Jauron- Bills better then expected last year. Really helped with the development of JP. I feel like he is really benefiting from Marv Levy running the show now but considering how many young guys marv left him with last year i would say that he did an excellent job helping those players develop into solid starters quick!!! Marv obviously wanted a coach that knew how to coach and develop and maxamize young talent. So far so good. Grade B+

WILLIAMS...C minus.......Mularkey.....C(they were 9-7 that one year)... WADE.B--He had a LOT more talent than we have now---and he couldnt run a game from the sidelines--always horrible at clock management and was a doofus on replays. He was best at prep during week. Jauron---really too early--but I'd give him a B+. Solid so far. We were very competitive last year with average talent-and the team looked better run /more intelligent than the teams of these other coaches.

Gregg Williams- team didn't really do much but we had tommy donawhore running the show and he was too caught up in free agency. Gregg had Jerry Gray as a DC if i remember correctly and Dousche bag Mike Mularkey as the OC... I remember he got signed soon after Donawhore and they chose him because they thought he was very well organized and brought good structure.. guess they should have gone for a guy that knew how to coach. Grade C+

whoa whoa whoa, Mike Murlarkey was brought in from the Steelers...

Gregg Williams- team didn't really do much but we had tommy donawhore running the show and he was too caught up in free agency. Gregg had Jerry Gray as a DC... I remember he got signed soon after Donawhore and they chose him because they thought he was very well organized and brought good structure.. guess they should have gone for a guy that knew how to coach. Grade C+

Wade Phillips: C. I have been to only a few Bills games as I live in Tn. I was at the Music City Miracle. RJ was sacked 7 times for 49 yards I believe. I had to endure the heckling for weeks and I honestly believe we would have won that game if DF (all his faults included) had played. But basically, an incredible mismanagement of a talented team. Oh and I am not bitter :w00t:

Greg Williams:C-. Man could he have been more bland? Interviewed well?? Wow.

Mike Mularkey: D-. Hey he could have been Jerry Jones. Wait...You say hes the owner? My bad.

Dick jauron:Incomplete. Lets see what happens this year. Cautiously optimistic at this point.

Guy cant even keep a job running an offense in Miami.. He should go back to selling avon products door to door.

In all fairness, who could run miami's O the past few years? Seriously, their O has been medocre at best since Marino left and often one dimensional (no QB)

In all fairness, who could run miami's O the past few years? Seriously, their O has been medocre at best since Marino left and often one dimensional (no QB)

i will give you that one.. miamis offense did suck but he probably made them look just a tiny bit worse..

Id give Wade a B. he was a good coach and i think hell do well in Dallas this year.

Greggo C+ and thats a little generous, he didnt really have alot of talent but unlike last year he couldnt maximize what he had

Mularkey F management terrible , Developing a young QB horrendous, and did i mention he split the locker room and eventually lost all faith in his team. O and he quit after he was given another year to deal witht the mess he created

DJ A (so far) With DJ this teams played hard every single week. after the bye week i never thought this team would be outplayed by anyone. He developed JP really well and brought hope to the fans with his aggressive but sensible coaching stlye. He got the most of his team week in and week out.

Wade Phillips B -the failures of his tenure have already been well documented. What I think is underappreciated about Phillips is that, I woud dare say, his stafff made better, more effective half-time adjustments than any since, and maybe even better than Marv's staffs.)

Gregg Williams- D -not sure why, but I never liked the guy from day 1. I know he had maybe the toughest job of any of the guys in this group, coming into a rebuilding situation, with very little talent to work with. What I hate most about Williams, was his inability to regin his offensive co-ordinator in. I forget the exact stats, but, I remember in Kevin Gilbrides' final season in Buffalo (2003) the Bills passed on 3rd and short something like 80 percent of the time, and had one of the very worst conversion rates in the leauge that year...to make matters worse, the guy was an arrogant prick, who took his ques from his equally arrogant GM/boss.

Mike Mularkey- C -I know it may sound crazy, but I know a little about what went on at 1 Bills Drive during Mularkey's tenure, and a lot of what we saw on the field was not the result of his decisions. Mularkey was generally well liked by his players, and Bills employees, but, just, as it turned out, not strong enough to be head coaching material. Just realize, the yanking he did with JP was not his doing...I give MM a little pass, because the 2004 season (his rookie HC year) I thought he did a pretty damn solid job, and provided us with, in my opinion, the most entertaining season of the post Phillips era. Even though Bledsoe might have sucked, the decision by TD to go with JP in 2005 doomed that season. JP was not ready, and his coaches and teammates were not fully behind it either. They saw it (rightfully I still think), as a step back from the progress they had made the previous season. Bledsoe may not have been the guy to take the Bills to the playoffs the next season, but they needed someone better than Bldsoe. A very raw JP Losman and Kelly Holcomb were not a better option. Don't forget, Mularkey was the Bills choice to coach this team in 2006.

Dick Jauron- B -maybe a little too high a grade, as it is a little too early to make a real judgement, but, Dick Jauron was my pick to replace Gregg Williams way back, and I have always liked him. I followed the Bears pretty closely when he was in Chicago, and always heard nothing but good things about him, and his coaching abilities, from people who really know the game. After one season in Buffalo, as tough as the off-field issued have been, Jauron has proven to be a calming, steadfast influence, who has had the patience, and wisdom (having the support of your GM doesn't hurt) to stick to his game plan...there were some growing pains (and their likely will continue to be), but this team showed real progress in the second half of last season. Progress is all we have been asking for for the last 7 years...a sign that the Bills might be better than the year before.

Wade Phillips B -t

Gregg Williams- D

Mike Mularkey- C -

Dick Jauron- B -

I totally agree with this ranking.

Wade was generally a good coach and results being all important he did lead this team to the playoffs. However, the way he capitulated publicly when the Bills were still mathematically in it and then to have Mora lead an Indy team with the exact same record to the playoffs forever knocks Wade down in the ratings,

This grade for Greggo may be too charitable but the team did finish 500 once during his reign of error and its hard to give someone an F unless every team produced like his 3-13 cap addled squad. Maybe a D-.

I think that MM gets more grief than he deserves on TSW because he is the most recent coaching whipping boy. He clearly was better than GW IMHO and he was able to produce a winning record his first year. The bottom fell out in his second year but C- sounds about right though if you caught me on a bad hair day I could be talked into a D +. However. his first season should not be ignored when rather than panicking with the 0-4 start he stuck to doing it his way and like it or not it worked.

Jauron got off to a good start and we will see.

I think that MM gets more grief than he deserves on TSW because he is the most recent coaching whipping boy. He clearly was better than GW IMHO and he was able to produce a winning record his first year. The bottom fell out in his second year but C- sounds about right though if you caught me on a bad hair day I could be talked into a D +. However. his first season should not be ignored when rather than panicking with the 0-4 start he stuck to doing it his way and like it or not it worked.

I think what rubs people the wrong way, most, about Mularkey, was the way he left, after committing to stay. It just ilustrated, to me, a lack of a backbone. Not a good quality for a coach. He wasn't leaving for a better job, he was just leaving to get away from the team that we love. You have seen in recent months, we take it pretty hard around here, when Buffalo is disrespected like that.

I am very pleased to have Jauron, but, I wouldn't been so upset if Mularkey had stayed on. I think he really shot himself in the foot, and screwed his career up, by leaving the Bills, the way he did. I know a couple people who work for the team, and all were sad to see MM leave...they said he was a great guy. Contrary to what Vikingumboot says, Mularkey was liked by his players, his assistants, and the front office staff. He started to unravel in his second season, when he was caught between TD's ego, and his coaching instincts.

Mularkey was not sold on starting that season out, with JP Losman as his starting QB. It was completely TD's decision. It wasn't that Mularkey didn't like JP's potential, he just knew he wasn't ready to lead a team that seemed on the verge of being very good. MM and his offensive staff may not have loved Drew Bledsoe, with all of his limitations, but, as NFL coaches are normally conservative by nature, they would have preferred to give go into the season with DB at QB...if he floundered, then make way for JP. Most of the offensive coaches were not in favor of it, and most of the vetrans were not. Mularkey, being the loyal soldier that he was, had to make it appear that he was on board with the decision. It caused a lot of dissention amongst the players. To make matters worse, once the season started, and it was apparent that JP Losman was very raw, it was TD who demanded the switch to Holcomb.

Mularkey's problem was that he was not a strong enough individual to stand up to TD, because he felt indebted to him, for giving him the job he had. Neither men, TD or MM, saw TD's firing coming. TD was genuinely shcoked to be fired. Ironically, I am fairly confident that Mularkey would have done well, if he had stayed with the Bills, and worked with Levy. Marv genuinely liked him, and seems to have the kind of patience that would have allowed Mularkey to build a good, young team, without worrying about a meddling GM.

didnt dick laboa(sp) or whatever his name is step in durring williams tenure and solidify this defense?...then somehow management thought it was really gray but after a season found out for the wrong....they really should have tried to keep dick as DC for milarkey.

didnt dick laboa(sp) or whatever his name is step in durring williams tenure and solidify this defense?...then somehow management thought it was really gray but after a season found out for the wrong....they really should have tried to keep dick as DC for milarkey.

he was assistant coach for one season then went elsewhere

I think all in all pretty good assessment. I'd give Mularkey a D though. I didn't any area of coaching where he did more than come close to adequate...and that's a generous assessment.

Jauron so far? probably a B on the coaching front...but I know that is a first term first semester grade

I think you might be a tad generous with Wade, I would give him a B+. Of course if you are grading on a curve based on what followed him he gets an A+. I would base the B+ on the QB fiasco and depleting talent on the team (though the former may have been the owner and the later the GM).

I couldn't go over a C for Greggo

Juron=too new to rate.

And don't forget he hired Ronnie Jones to replace a legend blaming him for the Music city miracle.

Also, I would consider the draft during those three years to be pretty average. A B is more appropriate.