Media Bias against the Bills

There has been a rash of, I believe, unfair criticism of the Bills. While there has always been a bias against Buffalo, it's been pretty bad this year. I have a crazy conspiracy theory. Here goes...

When Ralph derailed the revenue sharing process, crying foul for the small-market teams, and bringing in the politicians in the process, he royally pissed off the elite owners like Jerry Jones, Bob Kraft, and Daniel Snyder. These guys had a plan, and Ralphie mucked it up on them.

So what do they do? They let their close friends at ESPN, SI, etc know that they want them to lean hard on the Bills. Why? To make it harder for the Bills to attract elite talent. Think about it. What better way to put the screws to Ralph? No one would want to play here unless the Bills pay through the nose.

And if you are are a member of the sports media, you have no choice but to kowtow to the wishes of the league, or else lose access to players, coaches, etc. It's so sinister, so obvious, yet so unprovable.

So what do you think?

PTR

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your paranoia. And it's not just you.

If we aren't the most sensitive fans in the country, I don't know who is.

Look, we've sucked for a decade - we've floundered with GMs, coaches and QBs. It seems we are on the right track but if this coaching staff isn't as good as I'm giving them credit for, we could easily spiral to a 4 or 5 win season.

I'm seeing lots of love for the Sabres everywhere. That's what happens when we win. Does that give them an unfair advantage in free agency? Hey that comes with the territiry.

I agree with everyone that it's just a severe bout of paranoia. That said, I did find it a little curious that Mort actually speculated on the air that Ralph's motives might be to look to sell the team. I'm not sure why, but I find that just a little more than idle speculation. Those are the kind of purposeful rumors that can spread.

I agree with everyone that it's just a severe bout of paranoia. That said, I did find it a little curious that Mort actually speculated on the air that Ralph's motives might be to look to sell the team. I'm not sure why, but I find that just a little more than idle speculation. Those are the kind of purposeful rumors that can spread.

Look, I'm not saying a cigarette-smoking man is behind a curtain. Just that it looks to me like there is an effort by some people (Mort) to disparage the Bills. Is it out of loyalty to Donahoe? A vendetta from Bob Kraft? Maybe Mort doesn't like the buffet the Bills serve in the press box. I just think something smells.

PTR

Why would he sell the team now? He's almost 90. He would have sold a long time ago if he had wanted to.

You're resting your case on the fact that one media guy, on a page called "rumor mill", whom NO ONE has any respect for, sticks up for the Bills?

No. I rest my case because someone else thinks Mort and Mel and talking out their asscracks.

PTR

No. I rest my case because someone else thinks Mort and Mel and talking out their asscracks.

PTR

The fact that they might be talking out of their asscracks, and may be completely wrong, does not at all indicate media bias. It just means they have opinions, which are usually wrong. About teams they like and about teams they don't like. Everyone is. You, me, pundits, other teams fans. By saying there is a "media bias", you're implying that these guys are going out of their way just to hate on Buffalo, or believe things are better in Buffalo but purposefully are stating things worse than they are. There aren't a lot of people anywhere, those in the know and those who are just casual fans, that think the Bills have a chance in hell this year. The team may be on the right track, and the moves may in the long run benefit the team, but the fact is, to those close and those far away, that we havent been good in a long time and we lost more than we gained. I'm optimistic about the direction of the team but I don't think we are very good right now.

if the Bills want more respect they should do something novel like winning- the team that really gets no respect is (at least on this board) New England every year is the year they're going to be exposed as the talentless frauds they are and every year they are in the hunt- when the Bills were kicking a$$ and taking names they got plenty of respect- if Ralph could have made nice with Bill Polian we would have never entered this decade of loserville- but we're stuck with a cranky old man as owner- who's hired a fairly cheerful old man to build his team so maybe we stumble into being meaningful but I wouldn't bet my house.

if the Bills want more respect they should do something novel like winning- the team that really gets no respect is (at least on this board) New England every year is the year they're going to be exposed as the talentless frauds they are and every year they are in the hunt- when the Bills were kicking a$$ and taking names they got plenty of respect- if Ralph could have made nice with Bill Polian we would have never entered this decade of loserville- but we're stuck with a cranky old man as owner- who's hired a fairly cheerful old man to build his team so maybe we stumble into being meaningful but I wouldn't bet my house.

Then explain the ball washing, media suck up, azz licking, butt lovin, superbowl destined crap that they have been paying to the piece of crap team that Miami is? Good God Almighty!!!! Saban was like the second coming if you listened to these media goobers. I agree that the media loves to bash Bufallo. Why? Because it is so easy to do so with little backlash from a small fan base. It's all about media market share and they are pandering to the masses. I'm a Bills fan and I relish the role. Every dog has his day and ours is going to be so much sweeter after having endured this.

Then explain the ball washing, media suck up, azz licking, butt lovin, superbowl destined crap that they have been paying to the piece of crap team that Miami is? Good God Almighty!!!! Saban was like the second coming if you listened to these media goobers. I agree that the media loves to bash Bufallo. Why? Because it is so easy to do so with little backlash from a small fan base. It's all about media market share and they are pandering to the masses. I'm a Bills fan and I relish the role. Every dog has his day and ours is going to be so much sweeter after having endured this.

If the Bills had signed Saban the fans here would have been ballwashing Saban and the team more than the national media did Miami. Until, of course, he tanked, and then there would be a 219 page thread on Saban = Satan.

Look, we've sucked for a decade - we've floundered with GMs, coaches and QBs. It seems we are on the right track but if this coaching staff isn't as good as I'm giving them credit for, we could easily spiral to a 4 or 5 win season.

That sums it up right there, put up wins or get bashed, it's a simple formula.

As for this current team, they sure as heck better be coached well or this season will be one of the worst in years.

Extremely young team with minimal veteran leadership could spell a bad bad year.

Yeah I felt that he really kind of stuck that in there.

They really got so far on a tangent with how the bills have all these holes,

they left themselves very little time to actually address those holes.

I'm not sure if that is the norm with this feature,but I really picked up

hostility from mort and the crew. I don't want to be a winer

but this morning's segment was pretty bad .. even PFT called them out

on it.

You act like we've gone 1-15 the last 7 years. There are 11 teams worse than us in 2006. None of those teams take the beating the Bills do. I mean the god-awful Oakland friggin' Raiders get better press than the Bills. Really. is there a team in the NFL with it's head further up it's colon than the Raiders? But do they get the Mort & Mel treatment???

PTR

You act like we've gone 1-15 the last 7 years. There are 11 teams worse than us in 2006. None of those teams take the beating the Bills do. I mean the god-awful Oakland friggin' Raiders get better press than the Bills. Really. is there a team in the NFL with it's head further up it's colon than the Raiders? But do they get the Mort & Mel treatment???

PTR

You follow the team close. You may be on board with what Marv is doing. You may agree with the direction of the team and the addition by subtraction of the old vets. And you may be right. I believe that, too. But seriously, take a step back. If you were a Seahawk fan, and followed the Bills only peripherally. And you saw that they lost Nate Clements, Fletch, McGahee (who is highly regarded around the league) and TKO, and they replaced them with Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker who was mediocre at best, and Darwin Walker who is not even going to start, you would think the Bills suck, and what the hell are they thinking? They have no RB and no LB and no CB coming off a 7-9 season with an average defense and a pitiful offense.

PTR

Boo Freaken Hoo- you're worthless and weak- your robot body must be rusty with tears- maybe you can open up a thread where we all talk about our feelings- for the love of God man up and grow a set.

Sad to say, but the national sports media needs a punching bag. If you are going to alienate a fanbase, it might as well be located in one of the smallest media markets that has the smallest chance of affecting ratings.

You follow the team close. You may be on board with what Marv is doing. You may agree with the direction of the team and the addition by subtraction of the old vets. And you may be right. I believe that, too. But seriously, take a step back. If you were a Seahawk fan, and followed the Bills only peripherally. And you saw that they lost Nate Clements, Fletch, McGahee (who is highly regarded around the league) and TKO, and they replaced them with Derrick Dockery, Langston Walker who was mediocre at best, and Darwin Walker who is not even going to start, you would think the Bills suck, and what the hell are they thinking? They have no RB and no LB and no CB coming off a 7-9 season with an average defense and a pitiful offense.

You are so wrong.. I just saw philly and dallas on nfl replay today and walkers name kept coming up on tackle's , sacks, hurried plays... etc. to say that he won't even start is just an unfair prediction of yours.