Ralph to Marv, Jauron and Overdorf

JoeF

From Peter King's 10 things I think I think summary of the Owner's meeting...

5. I think this is my Leftover Scene of the Week from the league meetings: Wednesday morning, around 8:50, just off the back of the lobby, sat a cadre of Buffalo Bills braintrust -- owner Ralph Wilson, GM Marv Levy, coach Dick Jauron, and vice president of business administration Jim Overdorf. "We've got to be able to stop the run,'' Wilson said to the group as I walked past. "Are we going to be able to stop the run?'' I didn't wait to hear the reply, but I thought if I were Jauron, I wouldn't say no

I think we know where the owner's priority is.....the front Seven...

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...01/china/3.html

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

what kind of d-bag would write this. " I didn't wait to hear the reply..." why the hell not?!

He either had to write another softball blurb about one of his daughters or a triple shot, all fat, venti latte was calling him at Starbuck's...Pete's got his priorities..

Good point. Who the heck wouldn't skulk around in the background waiting to hear the reply? WTF, King, got a flight to catch or something???!!!! Geez, do your freakin' job, Peter.

That said, I remember so very clearly - in one of Marv's first interviews upon taking the GM job, he stated unequivocally, "To win in this league, you've got to be able to run the ball, and stop the run!"

In Marv we trust.

If Ralph's forced to ask that now, that's not good. DJ and Marv go defense first and second round. Perhaps Willis at 12 or they trade down and grab Posluszny late in the first. I certainly don't see them grabbing RB in round 1, maybe even second round either if they have the same amount of picks. I could see them trading and picking up a second to use for a RB.

I know Ralph doesn't sit in for all the football meetings, but it's decent that he's at least interested in the aspects of the team. I have to give Marv credit, he's the only GM in the league with an owner who won't give him all the money to spend within limits. I figure it takes 7M to sign rookies, perhaps 1M less, and even with that, Buffalo is still 15-17M beneath the salary cap.

I value Peter King's opinion because he's been right more often than not. I'll refrain from saying's he bulletproof, but he's got some excellent sources scattered throughout the league.

Thats why I say..... If Peterson or Willis are off the board. ...you get Okoye.

Then we would have Okoye, Walker , McCargo and Tripplett.

Okoye would be my choice if Willis is gone. I think he can make a huge impact his first year and would immediately upgrade a group of DT's that didn't get it done last season. He has tremendous upside, character, and a great work ethic. He'd quickly show McCargo what a DT can do in their rookie season.

If Ralph's forced to ask that now, that's not good.

I must respectfully, but very strongly disagree. Imo, this is a great thing, whereas it might actually prevent Levy from drafting another first round defensive back.

The Bills are stronger on the offensive front than they were last year. If they grab a good RG, and toughen up on the front 7, they will contend for the playoffs.

Enjoy the ride.

Thats why I say..... If Peterson or Willis are off the board. ...you get Okoye.

Then we would have Okoye, Walker , McCargo and Tripplett.

i like Okoye, but expect him to be gone by #12. Even so, is our biggest run stopping need (at this time) DL or LB? I'm inclined to think it is LB. (Of course, there are experienced LB's available through a trade.)

Of course, the 2nd biggest hole on the team, right now, is CB, IMO.

I must respectfully, but very strongly disagree. Imo, this is a great thing, whereas it might actually prevent Levy from drafting another first round defensive back.

The Bills are stronger on the offensive front than they were last year. If they grab a good RG, and toughen up on the front 7, they will contend for the playoffs.

Enjoy the ride.

Probably so...it's not such a bad thing after all. You're right, if Marv had any inclination about drafting Hall, Revis, hell even Houston, then perhaps the notion was removed with that brief conversation. At least Ralph has a handle on their weaknesses.

Marv addressed the left side of the OL, and his DE's are a strength, but RG and DT are still big question marks. Good football teams begin with the offensive and defensive line, in that order.

From Peter King's 10 things I think I think summary of the Owner's meeting...

5. I think this is my Leftover Scene of the Week from the league meetings: Wednesday morning, around 8:50, just off the back of the lobby, sat a cadre of Buffalo Bills braintrust -- owner Ralph Wilson, GM Marv Levy, coach Dick Jauron, and vice president of business administration Jim Overdorf. "We've got to be able to stop the run,'' Wilson said to the group as I walked past. "Are we going to be able to stop the run?'' I didn't wait to hear the reply, but I thought if I were Jauron, I wouldn't say no

I think we know where the owner's priority is.....the front Seven...

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...01/china/3.html

Does this whole scenario seem unlikely to anyone else?

I thought Ralph was a drooling vegetable now?

When vegetable's begin to drool, you must remove them from their respective baskets and dispose of them...at least that's what my late uncle always said.

PROTECT THE RED!

Of course, the 2nd biggest hole on the team, right now, is CB, IMO.

What was the purpose of drafting Youboty? Was he a mere afterthought? Was drafting a first day corner a reflexive action?

I like to think (OK, hope) that Marv took him because he anticipated the likely departure of Clements.

You and I have been watching the Bills get out-muscled for years (remember those days when you lived in NY ? :thumbsup: ). It HAS to change Brian. Now is the time. We need big guys to kick ass and win games, especially at home, in the elements.

Sometimes I think that Bills fans are programmed to think it is OK to waste our most precious resources on the secondary. From where I sit, we addressed the secondary last year in a manner that was all but obscene, and we passed on extra picks and a guy named Mangold to do so.

I hope that we come out of this draft with a first day LB and RG. Is this too much to ask with 4 picks and the opportunity to trade down? I would even be happy with a RB and yes....even a WR, but I gotta tell you that first day corners are LOW on my list. We have tried that, and it results in losses.

Jmo.

What was the purpose of drafting Youboty? Was he a mere afterthought? Was drafting a first day corner a reflexive action?

I like to think (OK, hope) that Marv took him because he anticipated the likely departure of Clements.

You and I have been watching the Bills get out-muscled for years (remember those days when you lived in NY ? :thumbsup: ). It HAS to change Brian. Now is the time. We need big guys to kick ass and win games, especially at home, in the elements.

Sometimes I think that Bills fans are programmed to think it is OK to waste our most precious resources on the secondary. From where I sit, we addressed the secondary last year in a manner that was all but obscene, and we passed on extra picks and a guy named Mangold to do so.

I hope that we come out of this draft with a first day LB and RG. Is this too much to ask with 4 picks and the opportunity to trade down? I would even be happy with a RB and yes....even a WR, but I gotta tell you that first day corners are LOW on my list. We have tried that, and it results in losses.

Jmo.

Even if Sheik Youboty steps up (as I believe he may and hope he will) we are still light at CB, IMO.

I agree the middle is the most impt place to be strong. But are we not stacked at DT? BTW, I could ask the same question about McCargo.

My point was, we have a deficit of LBs and CBs. There are LBs available through trades and later on in the draft. Can the same be said for CBs? I don't know the answer to that, but from my (admitted limited knowledge) there are more options at LB.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a CB picked in the 1st round. (I want Willis, BTW)

Ralph's supposed question, "Can we stop the run" is a good one and HAS to be addressed, IMO. But, it doesn't mean we go DL in Rd #1.

As far as I can tell (from the "chatter") the Bills are pretty giddy about the OL.

Even if Sheik Youboty steps up (as I believe he may and hope he will) we are still light at CB, IMO.

I agree the middle is the most impt place to be strong. But are we not stacked at DT? BTW, I could ask the same question about McCargo.

My point was, we have a deficit of LBs and CBs. There are LBs available through trades and later on in the draft. Can the same be said for CBs? I don't know the answer to that, but from my (admitted limited knowledge) there are more options at LB.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a CB picked in the 1st round. (I want Willis, BTW)

Ralph's supposed question, "Can we stop the run" is a good one and HAS to be addressed, IMO. But, it doesn't mean we go DL in Rd #1.

As far as I can tell (from the "chatter") the Bills are pretty giddy about the OL.

Well, he have a number of them, however I don't really know that we are upgraded over last year.

Larry Tripplett was not an upgrade.

Jmo.

I totally agree. I think it is a big waste to draft CB's he in the draft because regardless of how good they were in college or how high they get drafted, they are always going to be picked on as rookies by more experienced wide receivers and quarterbacks. Jabari Greer is an undrafted free agent, so was Rashad Baker, and Jim Leonhard. Was Kiewaukee Thomas drafted when he came in the league? Terrence McGee was a 4th round pick. It does not matter where DB's are drafted, they all need seasoning. We need to concentrate on drafting the "Big Uglies" as Keith Jackson used to say. If we are solid in the trenches on both sides of the ball, we will have a very good year.