Name your favorite

ROCCEO

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think when making this choice one has to consider how big an impact the bust had on the team. You have to go with the guy that would have meant the most to his team and would have made the most impact over the course of his career. To me that has to be a QB, and as a result, I have to go with Ryan Leaf, with an honorable mention to Todd Marinovich (another suck wad who beat us).

Definitely Leaf for me. I was living in Washington at the time so got all the hype as he came out of WSU, and then with the fact that he was considered as a possible #1 over that more rigid guy with the weaker arm from Tennessee (Peyton sombody?), and then that he didn't only fail as a QB, but failed miserably without even a couple weeks of average, and with emotional blow ups.

Mandrich was fun too, but nobody holds a candle to Ryan Leaf.

The public meltdown of Leaf was pure gold entertainment. That's why he stands out in my mind. Even though the public "who's better " conversation of Peyton/Leaf was near identical to Bledsoe/Mirer. With Mirer sucking it up pretty badly too. Although he at least was able to stick in the league as a career backup, still not what you want out of the number 2 pick.

While nobody could save Leaf as an NFL football player.

The Vikings had a first round pick named Dimitrius Underwood in 1999.

After being drafted, he signed a five year, $5.3 million contract in August 1, 1999 but walked out of training camp the next day.

The Vikings released him later that month. Underwood would later changed his mind and decided to return to professional football. He was claimed on waivers by the Miami Dolphins after 23 teams passed on him. He only played one preseason game for the Dolphins before getting injured.

In September 1999, Underwood attempted to commit suicide by slashing his own neck(with scissors) before repeatedly yelling "I'm not worthy of God".

Underwood later spent two months in protective care and was diagnosis with bipolar disorder. After he escaped from a psychiatric care facility, he was released from the Miami Dolphins in December 1999. He later signed with the Dallas Cowboys with a two year contract. During the 2000-2001 seasons, Underwood had 21 tackles and 4 sacks in 19 games. In January 2001, tried to kill himself for the second time by running into traffic twice on a busy suburban highway.

The Vikings had a first round pick named Dimitrius Underwood in 1999.

After being drafted, he signed a five year, $5.3 million contract in August 1, 1999 but walked out of training camp the next day.

The Vikings released him later that month. Underwood would later changed his mind and decided to return to professional football. He was claimed on waivers by the Miami Dolphins after 23 teams passed on him. He only played one preseason game for the Dolphins before getting injured.

In September 1999, Underwood attempted to commit suicide by slashing his own neck(with scissors) before repeatedly yelling "I'm not worthy of God".

Underwood later spent two months in protective care and was diagnosis with bipolar disorder. After he escaped from a psychiatric care facility, he was released from the Miami Dolphins in December 1999. He later signed with the Dallas Cowboys with a two year contract. During the 2000-2001 seasons, Underwood had 21 tackles and 4 sacks in 19 games. In January 2001, tried to kill himself for the second time by running into traffic twice on a busy suburban highway.

Might wanna toss in Rae Carruth while ur at it.

I like R Jay Soward too btw.

Walt Patulski

I will never understand why people nominate Patulski as the worst #1 pick. He is not even the worst #1 for the Bills, let alone all time in the league.

He played for for several years and he even started. He did not live up to the billing of being the #1 pick in the draft but many players have that stigma.

I pick Tom Cousinou, Phil Dokes, and Booker Moore are at the top of my list.

Akili Smith

Ron Dayne

Two of the most overhyped prospects I've ever seen.

In the 1999 draft, Ditka dangled that fistfull of picks to the B'gals, so he could get his beloved Ricky. Then-HC Bruce Coslet was chomping at the bit, but owner Mike Brown insisted on drafting Akili.

Now, Akili was no QB - IIRC he played 1 year at Oregon - but he was a tough kid - who got repeatedly beat senseless on those lousy Cincy clubs. Apparently, Brown forgot what happened to David Klingler in 1992.

The heartwarming part of the saga is that after he was cut, Brown had to cough up several million Smith was owed. ;):lol: