Worst play in history of the Bills?

Something posted yesterday has stuck with me. The description of that fourth down play against New England where apparrently EVERYONE on the offensive side of the ball missed their assignment was referred to as one of the worst plays in NFL history. All time bad plays! Humiliating. I guess I'd like to know if there has ever been another Bills play in its 45 year history that might compete with it. I've followed the Bills since 1960, have gone over some really awful years...and can't come up with one. Maybe there should be a plaque in Canton commemorating the play. It will rank with The Drive...Elway. The Catch...Willie Mays. The screw up...Buffalo Bills.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ronnie Harmon's drop against the Browns??

What no one wants to remember is that Norwood missed an extra point in that game, and with it, we could have kicked a FG instead of having to go for that TD - but whatever..

67940[/snapback]

That's true, but I don't think we would've beaten Denver in '89 anyway.

In '99, we certainly had a chance against Indy and Jax.

Ronnie Harmon's drop against the Browns??

What no one wants to remember is that Norwood missed an extra point in that game, and with it, we could have kicked a FG instead of having to go for that TD - but whatever..

67940[/snapback]

aha, i do remember this...Norwood slipped and fell on the XP, hence us going for the TD later on in the game...but your right, not many people do remember it...

aha, i do remember this...Norwood slipped and fell on the XP, hence us going for the TD later on in the game...but your right, not many people do remember it...

67946[/snapback]

I do, because of my former team affiliations. :doh:

What happened on that play was that Norwood slipped on the dirt that was called turf at old Municipal Stadium. His slip sent the extra point right into the middle of the Bills' line.

The Bills had just scored to make it 34-30. The extra point, of course, would have made it much more likely that the Bills would have tried a field goal on that final drive. Harmon should have made the catch. In fact, I didn't see it live, because I had turned off the TV, fearing the worst. That's how much I was gripping during that final drive. I saw Harmon's drop on tape later (I still have that game on videotape).

The next play, Clay Matthews made the interception that saved the game for the Browns.

As a side note, wasn't Ronnie Harmon released that offseason?

Mike

I do, because of my former team affiliations.  ;)

What happened on that play was that Norwood slipped on the dirt that was called turf at old Municipal Stadium.  His slip sent the extra point right into the middle of the Bills' line. 

The Bills had just scored to make it 34-30.  The extra point, of course, would have made it much more likely that the Bills would have tried a field goal on that final drive.  Harmon should have made the catch.  In fact, I didn't see it live, because I had turned off the TV, fearing the worst.  That's how much I was gripping during that final drive.  I saw Harmon's drop on tape later (I still have that game on videotape).

The next play, Clay Matthews made the interception that saved the game for the Browns. 

As a side note, wasn't Ronnie Harmon released that offseason?

Mike

67956[/snapback]

I remember it well....watched the game with my a-hole roommate from Cleveland :doh: But I never put it on Norwood. With the way points were being scored in that game, no way do the Bills play for anything but a winning TD at that point. Friggin Ronnie should have made the damn catch. I still hate him.

I remember it well....watched the game with my a-hole roommate from Cleveland  :doh:  But I never put it on Norwood.  With the way points were being scored in that game, no way do the Bills play for anything but a winning TD at that point.  Friggin Ronnie should have made the damn catch.  I still hate him.

67966[/snapback]

I still question whether he was paid off... seriously.

He does have a track record for that (allegedly) in college.

Let's see. Are we talking about the history of the Bills or the NFL?

How about:

Jim Marshall’s wrong-way run for a safety in 1964?

Super Bowl VII when Garo Ypremian fumbled while trying to throw the ball, and Mike Bass picked it out of the air and went 49 yards for the score.

SB XXVII when Leon Lett having the ball stripped by Bebee

The entire 1976 Tampa Bay season when their offense had 20 ints and fumbled the ball 30 times.

Let's see. Are we talking about the history of the Bills or the NFL?

How about:

Jim Marshall’s wrong-way run for a safety in 1964?

Super Bowl  VII when Garo Ypremian fumbled while trying to throw the ball, and Mike Bass picked it out of the air and went 49 yards for the score.

SB XXVII when Leon Lett having the ball stripped by Bebee

The entire 1976 Tampa Bay season when their offense had 20 ints and fumbled the ball 30 times.

67970[/snapback]

Yeah..the Ronnie Harmon play and Music City Miracle are really pit plays. The Ronnie Harmon, bad as it was, was only ONE guy dropping a pass. The Music City Miracle qualifies because at least one and maybe more missed their assignment. Both of course were when a playoff berth, or playoff advancement were at stake. This play at New England was pure. Game on the line. Five or six people miss their assignments...just atrocious play by all concerned.

Yeah..the Ronnie Harmon play and Music City Miracle are really pit plays.  The Ronnie Harmon, bad as it was, was only ONE guy dropping a pass.  The Music City Miracle qualifies because at least one and maybe more missed their assignment. Both of course were when a playoff berth, or playoff advancement were at stake. This play at New England was pure.  Game on the line. Five or six people miss their assignments...just atrocious play by all concerned.

67991[/snapback]

Think my all time worst is in a playoff game agaisnt San diego, early 80's, 4th and 4. Bills call time out, come on the field and get first down with pass to Lou Piccone. Trailing by seven, bills continue drive in SD territory. But wait, there is a flag!(havent seen much of those lately lol). Guess what?, coming out of a TIME OUT, bills took to long to get play off. 4th and nine not completed, playoff game lost.

Think that is how I remember it, but twas early in my drinking career.

Think my all time worst is in a playoff game agaisnt San diego, early 80's, 4th and 4. Bills call time out, come on the field and get first down with pass to Lou Piccone. Trailing by seven, bills continue drive in SD territory. But wait, there is a flag!(havent seen much of those lately lol). Guess what?, coming out of a TIME OUT, bills took to long to get play off. 4th and nine not completed, playoff game lost.

68069[/snapback]

I remember that play. Are you SURE it was not against the Bengals? I was thinking then and now that it was a fixed game. The mob was stronger in those days.

68069[/snapback]

I remember that too, but I could have sworn it was against Cincy in 1989. Did it happen against San Diego too? What I remember about the SD game in 1980 was Fergy and his broken ankle. Bills were clinging to a lead late in the game and an INT bounced off someone's chest (Charlie Romes?). Naturally, Foutes throws a TD pass on the next play and Bills lose.

I remember that too, but I could have sworn it was against Cincy in 1989.  Did it happen against San Diego too?  What I remember about the SD game in 1980 was Fergy and his broken ankle.  Bills were clinging to a lead late in the game and an INT bounced off someone's chest (Charlie Romes?).  Naturally, Foutes throws a TD pass on the next play and Bills lose.

68075[/snapback]

I guess we are both gluttons for punishment.

I still question whether he was paid off... seriously.

He does have a track record for that (allegedly) in college.

67969[/snapback]

That was my impression - maybe not paid off, but a way to get to go to another team back then. IIRC, the end zone "bat down" was 1 of 2 he did that game.

That was my impression - maybe not paid off, but a way to get to go to another team back then.  IIRC, the end zone "bat down" was 1 of 2 he did that game.

68082[/snapback]

Well, he was involved in a huge controversy back in college as to whether or not he threw a bowl game...

Wide Right was the most painful play in Bills history, but missing a 48-yard field goal isn't that high on the list of Blown Plays. Your best kickers aren't more than 50-50 on that kick. We shoulda been closer.

Ronnie Harmon, also, was just a screw-up by one guy. It was a crucial play, but he's not the first or last guy to drop a touchdown pass. Marcus Robinson did it this weekend for example. He just happened to make up for it the next play.

I mean, I've dropped TD passes in pickup games too. It happens.

Which brings us to this one and Homerun Throwback. MCM was still a pretty impressive bit of playcalling, as painful as that is, and, of course, illegal anyway. Which brings us to last Sunday.

FUBAR. What can I say?