Thanks for Spikes, Holcomb, best of luck with Walker, 7th rdr

Extra Whiz Wit -- ever hear of Sam Cowart? The Bills made a gutsy (and correct) call when they traded Sam years ago, following an Achilles' injury. Takeo is a warrior and I honestly wish him the best, but when a player relies upon his explosiveness and then blows a tire, he is rarely if ever the same. You're getting a guy who will give it 100%, without a doubt, but expecting him to return to Pro Bowl level now that he's on the wrong side of 30 -- and has begun the trend of nagging injuries -- is certainly wishful thinking.

This trade makes sense for Buffalo on a number of levels -- financially, for depth at DT (we don't expect Walker to be a starter), and to give young players the Bills have developed the opportunity to step forward. It is VERY easy to look at the losses of Clements, Fletcher-Baker, McGahee, and Spikes, and say that Buffalo is a worse team because of it. We'll have to wait and see.

In any event, for either side to say this trade was a "steal" at this point is simply ridiculous.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAVE YOU EVEN HIT THE LINK OF PEOPLE LAUGHING AT THIS FORUM ALL DAY? ITS A PHILLY MESSAGE BOARD- WE DO EXIST!

Probably filled with the people that booed McNabb when he was selected in the draft. That's all I ever need to know about Iggles fans. Losers. :nana:

Ive seen so many incorrect player analysis on the guy from people here it's given me some honest to God laughs.

Ive watched every game the man's played.

He ABSOLUTELY was part of a rotation- so whomever in another thread said he'd excel in Buffalo cos he wont have to play all game, is wrong.

The guy honestly defines average. Nothing special, won't hurt you, a good guy to have coming INTO a rotation, not start. To get anything at all for the guy is nice, to land a guy like Spikes who, granted, is 30, like Walker, but has such a better skill set and upside in the return to form from the injury?

I'll take it.

I know the history of the injury. I also know that Spikes played better as the year wore on last yr, and he was also hindered by a hammy injury that cant be discounted. I think he;ll be fine, and to only have to toss in a 2008 7th round pick> ????? And ya gave us a very good back up (I think he'll be AJ's back up, but whatever, they needn't burn a draft pk on QB this yr which is a plus, well, no wonder Sal Palantonio of ESPN said "Tell Buffalo Media to quote me- someone up there needs to know they were robbed!"

Oh, and this forum, apparently, has sparked some interest on another site......

http://www.700level.com/fansview/nosebleeds/11831/1.aspx

Enjoy.

The Eagles suck & so do you. Tell that fat f*ck Andy Reid to stop worring about his job so much & for christ sakes go take care of his kids.

Probably filled with the people that booed McNabb when he was selected in the draft. That's all I ever need to know about Iggles fans. Losers. :nana:

Yeah, they wanted Ricky Williams. That is all you need to know about Iggle fans. That & they booed Santa Claus.

Ive seen so many incorrect player analysis on the guy from people here it's given me some honest to God laughs.

Ive watched every game the man's played

Whoop-dee-doodle-doo, you cheesesteak-eating Pennsylmullet. Guess what? I've seen a hell of a lot of Darwin Walker, the man can play. And Spikes got BETTER as the season wore on? You eating hash wit dat steak?

No getting around TKO as snakebitten regarding injuries. And injuries at 30 are a lot more significant than injuries at 22. I'm willing to be you don't see TKO play the whole season, and that the games he does play will be of less than pro bowl characted. Walker? I'm almost certain he will fill our most glaring position of need, and will fill out the center of our D-line. The question mark in the equation is, I guess, Holcomb who will be a competent back-up. On the net in the trade I'd give us a slight edge, with the caveat that we won't know for sure until the end of next season. The bottom line is that TKO packs a huge paycheck for an injury prone past his prime guy.

Best part is, all these guys you're rippin would immediately start in Buffalo, no questions.

You have an annoying tendency to hone in on the many stupid posts here (and there are many) and ignore the intelligent ones. There are a number of posters here who are far more informed, analytical, and courteous than the meanspirited, ill-informed jawing that passes for analysis (do people there really think that McGahee is a stud RB?!?) in the thread you linked to.

Spikes' game is pass defense. In 2003 and 2004, he was probably the best pass defense LB in the league. That ability was a function of his explosiveness, which will probably never be the same. It may come back, though, and I understand why the Eagles would contemplate acquiring him. Hope springs eternal everywhere, including Philly and Buffalo.

Haven't read all the posts so apologies if someone has stated this already.

This trade has made fans on both sides happy, the players are happy with their new teams, the management must be happy (considering they made the trade). Why are we complaining and arguing. Addition of Spikes and Walker to their new teams makes both teams better. As of this moment, isn't this the best possible situation for all concerned ? We should bury the hatchet with the Philly fans and wish them luck till (and if) we meet them in the superbowl.

Haven't read all the posts so apologies if someone has stated this already.

This trade has made fans on both sides happy, the players are happy with their new teams, the management must be happy (considering they made the trade). Why are we complaining and arguing. Addition of Spikes and Walker to their new teams makes both teams better. As of this moment, isn't this the best possible situation for all concerned ? We should bury the hatchet with the Philly fans and wish them luck till (and if) we meet them in the superbowl.

I think that most took exception to the characterization of the trade as a "heist" for Philly. Sorry but when you HOPE that a player can regain his Pro Bowl form prior to suffering a debilitating injury that most don't come back from, you didn't "steal" anything.

Walker was a class guy here and all I was tryin to say was that the excitement about obtaining him was surprising given his ability.

You obviously haven't been watching the Bills DLine play.

Yeah, they wanted Ricky Williams. That is all you need to know about Iggle fans. That & they booed Santa Claus.

It's worse than that. Ten years ago (or so) the Phillies had a "family day" at the park in which the players brought their families and played a game of baseball. During introductions the fans booed Darren Daulton's two year old son because Daulton was in the middle of a slump.

Classy fans.

Well, those numbers are skewed by the fact that Kearse only played 4 games in 2002 and 2 last year. But I did read that Walker had the most sacks (or 2nd most) sacks by a DT over that time period.

staying healthy is a key factor in a player's production... yeah, it is skewed but i still think it's a good stat, especially when philly fans are saying how bad walker sucked.

a) Thanks for the earnest reply Booster- yes, I DO get the cap implications. I do. Figured thats the ONLY way Philly gets spikes for that price.

b) The game in Philly- I welcome ALL here to attend. Its not as bad as you hear. No jail anylonger, and if you arent an a-hole and are respectful, you'll only be verbally harrassed.

Spikes at that price, i wish takeo good luck but chances are he's will never be the same backer he was, what don't you and all the other lil philly fans understand about the injury he had? That board talks like this is the spikes of two years ago prior to the injury, we get a guy who was pretty damn productive as a rotational player, thats just what we needed. I am not about to pretend i or you know who got the better deal we will have to wait and see, hell if could work for both teams!

a) Thanks for the earnest reply Booster- yes, I DO get the cap implications. I do. Figured thats the ONLY way Philly gets spikes for that price.

b) The game in Philly- I welcome ALL here to attend. Its not as bad as you hear. No jail anylonger, and if you arent an a-hole and are respectful, you'll only be verbally harrassed.

No violence.

Generally speaking, Philly fans have been aholes for how many decades and you're trying to paint a picture of a nicer more cordial fan?!?!?! Please........

Wrong how exactaly" (to the guy postin about the rotation)

Someone on this site, in another thread, said Walker was NOT in a rotation last yr, and had to play all game long, which he wont do in Buffalo.

He has played in a rotation his entire career.

Also, someone else said that he can play NT.

He's never played over the nose one snap in his career either. EVER.

Just sayin'.

As for the venom, I must say, with the exception of 1 or 2 of you, you failed to disapoint in your homeristic spin.

Spikes is trash, Walker's god and Shrewd Marv got the better of Andy.

Right. NOBODY KNOWS who'll look better in this thing a few yrs from now, but Im kinda confident I think it's goin to be Philly.

Oh- and to the astoute draftnick who ripped the Winston Justice Pick, the Bunkley pick? Bunkley? Huge disapointment but Im not writin the guy off yet.

Justice? Well lets just say its nice to be so stocked (BEST LINE IN FOOTBALL) at LT - a premium position, where youre No.2 pick, highly touted and a guy you move up to get, cant get on the field cos he still has a pro bowl caliber player ahead of him.

You may just get to know what thats like, if ol Shrewd Marv keeps it up~!

I would love to see some of you hardier beef on wheck chompers venture over to that site and give a good ol' Rogering- Bills style. YEAH~

Who knows what will happen with TKO..if anything you guys have someone to do Taco Bell comercials? Ask the Jets about Achilles injuries and how well guys play after.

So you cheesesteak chompers can go back to your holes and watch the Flyers in the playoffs...oh yeah never mind.