Trade could only mean one thing....

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mel kiper while informed better than most is rarely right on the bills pick ,if memory serves me only

time he was right was when the bills picked rueben brown,, and the willis thing if im not mistaken he

was thrown off the ole miss campus years ago.. might be playing into it to

Provided we don't raid OSU's secondary again, Patrick Willis is a Buffalo Bill....

I think we still could go with either

Leon Hall,

One of Peterson or Lynch

Patrick Willis.

Considering that LBs can be found in later rounds, I think it is going to RB or CB.

I think we still could go with either

Leon Hall,

One of Peterson or Lynch

Patrick Willis.

Considering that LBs can be found in later rounds, I think it is going to RB or CB.

If the Bills take Leon Hall they would be putting big resources with their #1 pick and the large contract #12 is slotted to receive into a position which they have already decided was not worth expending the huge NC cap hit on.

When the Bills decided not only to not offer NC a contract he thought was worth signing, but they decided even before they saw how he played in 06 that there was no way they would pay him the contract a franchised CB would get so they agreed to let him play the market if they did not achieve a deal.

It is only because the market value NC was likely (and ultimately did) receive was so high they there is any room to feel the Bills are going to devote a #1 slotted contract to a CB.

However, the Bills likely run a significant risk that this player with a huge contract will merely sit on the bench, if Youbouty plays at the level which the draft scouts generally agreed he would perform at given a year of training. The Bills coaches liked his play well enough that they gave him a game start last year and in this game the D performed well.

While some seem to take the fact that he was not the starter in the next two games as being some declaration of failure on Youbouty's part or lack of satisfaction with his performance on the coaches part, this view would seem to not take into account that once the vets Clements and McGee were both set to start, then pretty much regardless of how he played Youbouty would sit as sitting either vet with the Bills still in the playoff hunt and NC likely to leave and McGee likely to step up, starting Youbouty was simply not gonna happen in the last two games last year.

Youbouty seems likely to certainly be on tap to get the nickel slot this year and will get a shot to compete for the starting slot with Thomas. Particularly since only 18 of the 32 1st round choices last year proved able to be first on the depth chart at their position as shown a couple of weeks ago, it seems quite doubtful and risky that the Bills would devote the 1st round choice to a player who stands a good chance of not starting for this team perhaps at any point this year.

If they are not satisfied with the competition between Youbouty and Thomas to give them a starter with McGee, it seems they would have put more effort into getting a vet CB in FA than to take the risk on even a talented rookie.

I don't think we'll take willis. we have a big hole at qb now, what im most concerned about is who is going to hold the clipboard and wear the bills visor. Cmon guys lets address our needs here ;)

Maybe we could bring back all pro clip board holder, Shane Matthews?

Drew bledsoe always worked the visor pretty good, maybe he could get used to a clip board in his hands now?

There was a poster who said Marv would NEVER trade up to get a player. Any idea who that was? ;)

:wallbash: Hahahaha! I keep thinking that every time Obie posts about this move. It's funny what a difference a year can make.

And Obie, you might end up being right -- but I don't see the Bills trading above 12 in this draft. I just don't see it.

I'd like to see us take Willis at #12, then package our 2nd and both 3rds to move up to around 20ish or so and take Poz

Schobel/Kelsay/Hargrove/Denney rotating at DE

Triplett/Walker/McCargo/Williams rotating at DT

Poz/Willis/Crowell at LB

That'd be a solid front 7

:thumbdown:

I really believe that Marv and Dick want Crowell at ILB and P Willis is gone at #11 to SF.

If that happens it will be depressing, although "Poz" is pretty nasty and would be a nice addition....Either way I hope we go linebacker with our first pick.

For some reason, I really don't think we are going to take Leon Hall with the re-signing of Kiwaukee and the ultra-talented questionmark Ashton Youbouty waiting in the wings.

Despite the fact that he has drafted running backs in the 1st round before (Antwain Smith), it is hard to see that happening, as linebacker is probably our biggest hole....That and the fact that solid rbs are going to be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (Irons, Pittman, etc.).

I really believe that Marv and Dick want Crowell at ILB.

This is something the "Draft Willis" folks are missing. I'm not saying Willis isn't talented or a good enough player to take at 12. What I am saying is I'm not certain the Bills feel there is a need for an ILB. They are very, very high on Crowell there. It's his natural position and he has all the tools to be the attacking, ground covering, Cover 2 ILB the defense needs.

Of course every team at this point in the year plays their cards close to their vests so it could well be a smoke screen. But I'm beginning to doubt it. I think Angie is going to be the MLB and the Bills won't be taking Willis at 12 if he's there (which is looking more and more unlikely).

Call it a hunch.

I'd like to see us take Willis at #12, then package our 2nd and both 3rds to move up to around 20ish or so and take Poz

Schobel/Kelsay/Hargrove/Denney rotating at DE

Triplett/Walker/McCargo/Williams rotating at DT

Poz/Willis/Crowell at LB

That'd be a solid front 7

:thumbdown:

I know I would be ecstatic if I was an opposing OC facing this LB trio in a game. The options present simply by facing a rookie MLB on a Cover 2 team (particularly one who struggled a bunch with pass coverage in the Senior Bowl) simply by itself is great to play with.

Add into this, him having a rookie playing SLB by his side and the chances it gives me to let the TE run some games on this rookie would be an amazing opportunity.

This LB crew appears to have the youth and talent that it may in the future become the best LB crew in football, but the future is the future and 2007 is now and I would be pretty confident that I can torch these guys pretty badly even if they are very talented athletes.