Cool, but I don't know a lot about Walker

Comment:

Walker is quick, active and experienced. He is somewhat versatile. He has played three-technique and nose tackle. He is at his best using his first-step quickness and hitting gaps. He reads quickly and gets good jumps on plays. He is tough to block when slanted into gaps. He can get sideways, make himself skinny and give linemen little surface to block. He can play laterally and has the quickness to get down the line and make plays. He uses his hands well to keep blockers off his lower body. He is a solid wrap-up tackler who strikes with force. But Walker is aging and coming off an injury-plagued 2005. He isn't a power player. He isn't physical at the point of attack and doesn't split double-team blocks effectively. He won't stack, shed and make tackles in the hole. He has lost some pass-rushing ability. He no longer gets on the edges quickly. He doesn't counter effectively when he gets tied up.

way to quote the source

My question before we say the Bills are geniuses is this: Why was Walker available? Great salary dump though.

i know they just signed monte reagor last week. however, dont know if that had a direct influence on the decision.

btw, does anyone else find the AFL unwatchable?

I like the paragraph on the front page of his site:

"The off-season has begun, and I am looking forward to my training regimen. However, in the meantime my wife and I just had our 1st baby, and we are loving every minute. I look forward to smashing QB’s next season, but right now I have to tend to my future QB killa."

Hopefully he'll be smashing 'em for us!

http://www.darwinwalker.com/default.asp

That's kind of funny as it seems to come before the 2006 season, and says he lost some of his pass rush ability. And then he had his best year with sacks (six) including three in one game against the Cowboys and two in the playoffs.

Were those three against Drew? They don't count!

Kevin Williams

36 tackles, 5 sacks, 6 pass defended

John Henderson

51 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 6 pass defended

Tommie Harris

28 tackles, 5 sacks, 1 pass defended (12 games)

Kris Jenkins

41 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 pass defended

Pat Williams

44 tackles, 1 sack, 2 pass defended

Darwin Walker

36 tackles, 6 sacks, 1 INT, 3 pass defended

He ain't a run stuffer but he is a very solid DT.

Remove the names and the Bills got a good football player.

Well the thing I liked about the acquisition of Walker is that DT was a huge need going into the draft. Now, we are not forced to use a #1 or #2 on one, and having Walker for two years will allow us to move McCargo and Williams along, and get rid of the abortion known as Tim Anderson (unless they keep him as a #5). But it also still leaves the door open to draft Okoye or Branch if they fall, and if that happens, a huge question mark or weakness on the team suddenly becomes a strength.

All of a sudden I think the Bills trade down and pick up Calvin Johnson! That would be a cool twist!