A specific post about Crowell

While there is no guarantee about what any player can do, I think it is amusing that a number of folks seem to have their panties all up in a wad about Crowell and whether he can "make the jump" to MLB or in a recent thread whether he could play SLB if necessary if Spikes is a goner.

Folks, these are the facts as I understand them.

1. Apparently some pundits had Crowell slated as an OLB prospect when he was drafted because for some reason some folks are acting as though it would be a big jump for him to play MLB, This is not the case. In college he apparently played ILB in a 3-4 and quite frankly where the pundits say he is likely to play after he is drafted and in fact where he actually plays are two different things. He was on the inside in college and it does not really matter anyway since he has in fact played for the Bills and this is really the determining factor of where he can be expected to play.

2. In his first two years Crowell actually was a back-up MLB behind Fletch and not only learned the position in practice but played the position (and looked fairly good doing it IMHO) in pre-season for the Bills. The best thing about it for him was that he also had the playcalling responsibility and thus learned the other players positions and jobs so he could make last minute playcalling adjustments and I think this held him in good stead when he was called upon to quickly fill other LB positions due to injuries.

He actually played MLB for the Bills for real when Fletch got dinged in an early game against TB in 05. His performance in this game is probably the most troubling thing about his MLB prospects as TB was quite successful running up the middle on us in the half game Crowell played. To some extent there also were good signs in that Crowell did log 6 tackles and one certainly should be aware that the problem was not simply Crowell alone as the DTs include the soon likely to be gonr Tim Anderson and even his fellow DT Sam Adams did not have a very good game and in the FL sunshine needed to spelled by that tower of power (eventually switch to the offense he was such a good DT) Justin Bannan. The Bills were in the beginnings of an ill-fated season for JP and the O scored but 3 points so this loss was a group effort.

3. Crowell, however, did begin to show some good stuff when TKO went down after 3 games with an Achilles tear and interestingly the Bills felt good enough about Crowell's play in practice and hs knowledge of the WLB role that they flipped positions on the depth chart and brought Crowell in at Will.

The fact he ended up amassing 125 tackles in 3/4 of a season was a fairly impressive performance IMHO and it is a good indicator that he was able to score a number of sacks and INTs which is a good indicator that he contributed in both the run stopping and pass protection effort.

4. In fact, Crowell played well enough at WLB that when the Bills looked at TKOs comeback effort, they were comfortable enough with Crowell's play that they left him at WLB intially. Again interestingly when TKO went down again for several games with a strained hammy, it it was Crowell they went to to fill in at SLB. I felt he played well there getting a pivotal INT for the win against Miami and amassing ten tackles both against MI and in the next game against the Jets.

The Bills were experimenting with the LB set-up due to the injury to TKO and then one to Ellison and i think it was Crowell's flexibility which allowed them to do this. Overall he was fourth on the team in tackles to his credit with roughly 85 and again showed good diversity logging positive numbers for INTs and sacks as well as the total tackles.

Overall, i think he showed a bit more aggression than Fletch and again while there are no guarantees is certainly the best option on our roster for MLB and likely would be far more productive than any rookie MLB at the position.

I was at that Tampa game baking in the sun myself----its hard to make a judgement of Cro's MLB play from that game.

The temp was 94 degrees with heat index over 105(I'm a 20+ year Floridian and I was absolutely baking!).

The defense was on the field way too much to have a chance to compete.

I'm happy with Cro's play at WLB and hope he gets to stay at that position, but I feel good about his ability to play the middle if that is the direction the Bills want to go.

While there is no guarantee about what any player can do, I think it is amusing that a number of folks seem to have their panties all up in a wad about Crowell and whether he can "make the jump" to MLB or in a recent thread whether he could play SLB if necessary if Spikes is a goner.

Folks, these are the facts as I understand them.

1. Apparently some pundits had Crowell slated as an OLB prospect when he was drafted because for some reason some folks are acting as though it would be a big jump for him to play MLB, This is not the case. In college he apparently played ILB in a 3-4 and quite frankly where the pundits say he is likely to play after he is drafted and in fact where he actually plays are two different things. He was on the inside in college and it does not really matter anyway since he has in fact played for the Bills and this is really the determining factor of where he can be expected to play.

2. In his first two years Crowell actually was a back-up MLB behind Fletch and not only learned the position in practice but played the position (and looked fairly good doing it IMHO) in pre-season for the Bills. The best thing about it for him was that he also had the playcalling responsibility and thus learned the other players positions and jobs so he could make last minute playcalling adjustments and I think this held him in good stead when he was called upon to quickly fill other LB positions due to injuries.

He actually played MLB for the Bills for real when Fletch got dinged in an early game against TB in 05. His performance in this game is probably the most troubling thing about his MLB prospects as TB was quite successful running up the middle on us in the half game Crowell played. To some extent there also were good signs in that Crowell did log 6 tackles and one certainly should be aware that the problem was not simply Crowell alone as the DTs include the soon likely to be gonr Tim Anderson and even his fellow DT Sam Adams did not have a very good game and in the FL sunshine needed to spelled by that tower of power (eventually switch to the offense he was such a good DT) Justin Bannan. The Bills were in the beginnings of an ill-fated season for JP and the O scored but 3 points so this loss was a group effort.

3. Crowell, however, did begin to show some good stuff when TKO went down after 3 games with an Achilles tear and interestingly the Bills felt good enough about Crowell's play in practice and hs knowledge of the WLB role that they flipped positions on the depth chart and brought Crowell in at Will.

The fact he ended up amassing 125 tackles in 3/4 of a season was a fairly impressive performance IMHO and it is a good indicator that he was able to score a number of sacks and INTs which is a good indicator that he contributed in both the run stopping and pass protection effort.

4. In fact, Crowell played well enough at WLB that when the Bills looked at TKOs comeback effort, they were comfortable enough with Crowell's play that they left him at WLB intially. Again interestingly when TKO went down again for several games with a strained hammy, it it was Crowell they went to to fill in at SLB. I felt he played well there getting a pivotal INT for the win against Miami and amassing ten tackles both against MI and in the next game against the Jets.

The Bills were experimenting with the LB set-up due to the injury to TKO and then one to Ellison and i think it was Crowell's flexibility which allowed them to do this. Overall he was fourth on the team in tackles to his credit with roughly 85 and again showed good diversity logging positive numbers for INTs and sacks as well as the total tackles.

Overall, i think he showed a bit more aggression than Fletch and again while there are no guarantees is certainly the best option on our roster for MLB and likely would be far more productive than any rookie MLB at the position.

Nice post PG.

Snore. Not sure if Crow is giving you happy endings for all of the crap you keep tossing out, but Crow is not the answer in the middle. In fact, we would be better off if we got another LB and Crow played only in nickle packages with Spikes, Ellison and the other LB playing the majority of the downs.

Snore. Not sure if Crow is giving you happy endings for all of the crap you keep tossing out, but Crow is not the answer in the middle. In fact, we would be better off if we got another LB and Crow played only in nickle packages with Spikes, Ellison and the other LB playing the majority of the downs.

Not tot be mean-spirited because I'm sure PG is a nice person, but a lot of his posts are just long-winded nonsense. If he would encapsulate into maybe 6 or 7 sentences, I might respect the posts more whether i agree or not.

Not tot be mean-spirited because I'm sure PG is a nice person, but a lot of his posts are just long-winded nonsense. If he would encapsulate into maybe 6 or 7 sentences, I might respect the posts more whether i agree or not.

I take it you're relatively new here.

I take it you're relatively new here.

Not to worry. As always (well almost always) I appreciate any interesting or attempts at being interesting responses my ramblings generate, but I tend to blather on to keep all this straight in my own little brain. Thus, I tend to blather on and even change my mind in mid-post sometimes as I am thinking while I am writing.

I'm sorry if Bill's buddy Mike can't generate respect or whatever from my posts, but there really is no intent to generate respect from anyone on my part so I am not surprised if folks by them long winded or blathering because in fact they are.

I really do appreciate TSW because amidst the way too much dreck like mine on the Board (I kind of miss ICE) I do find new information, one the quickest sources of Bills info, some interesting perspectives on issues I had not found yet, and a lot of laughs.

I do not want this to sound too lofty or high-handed as I really do appreciate the community which has grown on TSW since the Roch D&C implosion back in 1998 and Scott S, and others filled the gap with TBD. I was out of Beefalo for over half a year translocated to St. Louis for some radical surgery for my significant other and TSW was a nice lifeline an connection to my hometown of Buffalo and the Bills.

Scott, the moderators, and anyone else working for the board have consistently provided nice resources like the CAP page and most recently the addition of a spellchecker (that word generated a red-line for example) which for those of us who pretty much refuse to re-read and edit posts as once I write them I am done with them has been quite helpful to at least keep them in Anglish. Now about that grammerchecker.

Not to worry. As always (well almost always) I appreciate any interesting or attempts at being interesting responses my ramblings generate, but I tend to blather on to keep all this straight in my own little brain. Thus, I tend to blather on and even change my mind in mid-post sometimes as I am thinking while I am writing.

I'm sorry if Bill's buddy Mike can't generate respect or whatever from my posts, but there really is no intent to generate respect from anyone on my part so I am not surprised if folks by them long winded or blathering because in fact they are.

I really do appreciate TSW because amidst the way too much dreck like mine on the Board (I kind of miss ICE) I do find new information, one the quickest sources of Bills info, some interesting perspectives on issues I had not found yet, and a lot of laughs.

I do not want this to sound too lofty or high-handed as I really do appreciate the community which has grown on TSW since the Roch D&C implosion back in 1998 and Scott S, and others filled the gap with TBD. I was out of Beefalo for over half a year translocated to St. Louis for some radical surgery for my significant other and TSW was a nice lifeline an connection to my hometown of Buffalo and the Bills.

Scott, the moderators, and anyone else working for the board have consistently provided nice resources like the CAP page and most recently the addition of a spellchecker (that word generated a red-line for example) which for those of us who pretty much refuse to re-read and edit posts as once I write them I am done with them has been quite helpful to at least keep them in Anglish. Now about that grammerchecker.

Don't ever worry PG. Your posts are great and add a ton to this board.

uhhh nooo...I actually posted under a different name and have a combined total of 7,883 posts.

Even his response to my diatribe was long-winded.

YEAH! RESPECT MY POST COUNT!! :thumbsup::worthy:

but seriously, i stopped trying to read PG's posts weeks ago. they make my brain cramp.

ps is it really a guy?

uhhh nooo...I actually posted under a different name and have a combined total of 7,883 posts.

Ha, got you beat by 1 post, so I know more :thumbsup:

So you are very short winded over and over and over again without getting the point across? Or were most of those 7K focused on evaluating on-topic posts with an off-topic word count?

:thumbsup:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Now let's get back to talking about the Bills. PG has been a ramblin' a little recently (something I do myself which is why my post count is low, but my word count is off the charts!), and she will have to clean up her act a little before taking that job as White House Press Secretary, but I think there are some great points and insight about Crowell.

I personally think that based on the past, Angelo will be very good at any of the three linebacker positions, and the most important thing is figuring out who are the best two guys we can have next to him. Right now they are Ellison and Spikes. I want to see TKO stay and I have high hopes for Ellison. If those three don't end up our starting line, it will mean adding an impact rookie and Willis is the obvious choice, although I can see the front office surprising us.

What is up with your consistent hating on Crowell? Every year, he has been here, even when he plays good you hate on him. Give the guy a break and a chance for god sakes! You act like a draft analysis who HOPES a player or a team fails to prove your point to keep from eating crow or one of the JP haters on this board who hoped he'd flop in the 2nd half of the season to say I told you so or hope his play falls off next season to do the same. While he is not a Pro Bowler he has shown flashes so give him a fair chance. But to make the comment he is better playing only in nickle is ludicrous and shows your disdain for him as a player as he has proven to be a decent LB when healthy the past 2 seasons; good but not great.

What is up with your consistent hating on Crowell? Every year, he has been here, even when he plays good you hate on him. Give the guy a break and a chance for god sakes! You act like a draft analysis who HOPES a player or a team fails to prove your point to keep from eating crow or one of the JP haters on this board who hoped he'd flop in the 2nd half of the season to say I told you so or hope his play falls off next season to do the same. While he is not a Pro Bowler he has shown flashes so give him a fair chance. But to make the comment he is better playing only in nickle is ludicrous and shows your disdain for him as a player as he has proven to be a decent LB when healthy the past 2 seasons; good but not great.

No he has shown good speed, decent coverage skills and the ability to tackle downfield when he catches up with the guy. Tell me how many runs has he stopped in the gap? How many negative yardage plays did he have? How many times was the runner dragging him? I saw more of the latter. The two skills that he has proven that he has makes him a perfect Nickle guy and special teamer. The reason we have sucked for so long is that we have a lot of these guys who are decent players and good situational guys but are not everydown players forced into starting roles. We saw last year with our LB what out Oline has experienced for 10+ years. Guys who are overmatched and unable to consistently make the plays at the line. We needed to upgrade our Oline, and LB corps most of all. We have addressed one so far. Time to work on the other.

And why are you so in love with a bunch of players who continue to sh-- on the field, not make probowls and basically prove nothing year after year, beyond finishing below .500?

No he has shown good speed, decent coverage skills and the ability to tackle downfield when he catches up with the guy. Tell me how many runs has he stopped in the gap? How many negative yardage plays did he have? How many times was the runner dragging him? I saw more of the latter. The two skills that he has proven that he has makes him a perfect Nickle guy and special teamer. The reason we have sucked for so long is that we have a lot of these guys who are decent players and good situational guys but are not everydown players forced into starting roles. We saw last year with our LB what out Oline has experienced for 10+ years. Guys who are overmatched and unable to consistently make the plays at the line. We needed to upgrade our Oline, and LB corps most of all. We have addressed one so far. Time to work on the other.

And why are you so in love with a bunch of players who continue to sh-- on the field, not make probowls and basically prove nothing year after year, beyond finishing below .500?

I'm not in as much love with him as you hate on him. At least give the guy a chance to play his natural position - ILB or MLB; he has already proven to be an above average player at WLB when given the chance. Also like I have said many times before you can't have a Pro Bowler at every position; this isn't Maddan fantasy team we are building!

I'm not in as much love with him as you hate on him. At least give the guy a chance to play his natural position - ILB or MLB; he has already proven to be an above average player at WLB when given the chance. Also like I have said many times before you can't have a Pro Bowler at every position; this isn't Maddan fantasy team we are building!

And there is the basic problem. He hasn't been above average. He has been in fact largely below average in the run game.

BTW, the number of stuff for no yardage or a loss on the running back that Crowell had, was one. That is terrible gap read and fill out of a linebacker. That is showing a terrible ability to fight through blocks at the LOS to make the play. Oh and that one "stuff" wasn't even a single one. It was actually 2 assists, for a total of one.