Talks between Bills and Chris Brown heating up.

PIZ

I want the Bills to draft Willis, Peterson or Lynch. I don't even want C. Brown on the Bills.

Willis because the guy looks like he'll be a monster defender for years to come and it's a need position on the Bills.

Peterson or Lynch because if Willis is not there then I feel like the Bills had better get a dynamic runningback on their team quickly because this teams defense is not stout enough for a team that doesn't score in bunches. A runningback by commitee is more for teams that have stout defenses.

Plus why pay up for Brown because you KNOW he'll always be hurt and can't play for one reason or another. It's not good for team moral when you have players sitting around not pulling their weight. Lynch isn't afraid to play hurt and sounds like he's as tough as nails. Maybe they should pick him even if Willis and Peterson are still on the board.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, if the team were to sign Brown, I think that we will be in pretty good shape in the short term at RB with both Brown and A-Train to go along with the unknown Fred Jackson commodity. Under this scenario, I would advocate going defense with both of our first two draft picks -- and taking a chance with Michael Bush in the 3rd.

Leon Hall.

Crap. You wait...

As Youbouty was rated a 1st rounder in many mocks last year whom the Bills got in the 3rd after a surprising number of teams had dropped heavy draft resources on DBs in the draft (many still say that Oak, the Bills and the Fins all over-reached with the safeties they took in the top 15) it seems quite possible (little is certain in this crapshoot known as the draft) that Hall may well sit on the bench for a while if we take him.

One of the primary other raps on Youbouty which had him drop to the third was that folks though he left college a year early and would have been an even more likely 1st rounder if he had stayed in and perfected his game before becoming a pro.

In order to buy the idea the Bills pick Hall one has to:

1. After the Bills already have clearly declared that a CB is not worth their top cap dollar since they not only passed on NC this year but actually agreed not to franchise him, it requires buying into the idea they are going to lock up yet another 1st day contract slot into CB. The notion of drafting yet another CB in the 1st seems counter to the way we are allocating our cap resources.

2.Youbouty got an even better year of perfecting his game last year since physical play did not seem to be his issue. 16 games of study and practice in the Bills system is far better and more focused teaching for him than playing 12 games for OSU would have been and one would have to buy the idea the Bills felt they failed so miserably in teaching him that they need to reload at CB.

3. It means little or nothing to the Bills that they had enough confidence in Youbouty's play that they gave him a start last year and that somehow this start indicated to them they need to drop major draft resources on a CB even though the D was incredibly productive with him starting against Pennington and NYJ as they best this O badly that game.

4. Perhaps folks buy into the idea that the fact Youbouty did not stick in the starting line-up the last two games is some indication they are looking elsewhere at CB even though the only way he could have stayed in the starting line-up would have been if the benched McGee (unlikely as he was playing better in the second half and now is slotted as their #1 or they benched NC. It does not seem to make sense that the fact Youbouty did not force his way into the starting line-up means they have lost confidence in him.

I think he'll be lucky to be drafted. The guy is a major medical concern at this point.

He IS a major medical concern, which is why he is NOT being mentioned in the same breath as Lynch and AP. However, because of the upside of what the guy can do when he is healthy, SOME team is going to take him earlier than he probably should go -- even with the risks involved. In fact, it would not surprise me if he doesn't last until the 3rd round -- the point at which I said I would be willing to take a chance on him. I actually would NOT want the team to invest such a high pick on him, if they are relying on him to be healthy anytime soon. However, with the insurance of A-Train and Chris Brown (hypothetically, if we were to sign him to a frugal deal), I believe that the potential reward would outweigh the risk.

Actually, if the team were to sign Brown, I think that we will be in pretty good shape in the short term at RB with both Brown and A-Train to go along with the unknown Fred Jackson commodity. Under this scenario, I would advocate going defense with both of our first two draft picks -- and taking a chance with Michael Bush in the 3rd.

I take a different view of a potential Chris Brown signing. I don't think it will change their draft plans at all. I believe that he is probably being looked at as a competitor to Anthony Thomas for the #2 role and that only one of them will be a part of the RB by committee.

He IS a major medical concern, which is why he is NOT being mentioned in the same breath as Lynch and AP. However, because of the upside of what the guy can do when he is healthy, SOME team is going to take him earlier than he probably should go -- even with the risks involved. In fact, it would not surprise me if he doesn't last until the 3rd round -- the point at which I said I would be willing to take a chance on him. I actually would NOT want the team to invest such a high pick on him, if they are relying on him to be healthy anytime soon. However, with the insurance of A-Train and Chris Brown (hypothetically, if we were to sign him to a frugal deal), I believe that the potential reward would outweigh the risk.

If not for the recent complication in his recovery, I would agree, he would be drafted higher (I still would not have taken him on the first day). But now that we're finding out that his recovery has gone so poorly that he's had to have a 2nd surgery now 6-7 months after the injury, it should be cause for concern that he'll never fully recover. Inevitably, someone will draft him late, but I also think he's probably carrying a few undraftable grades around the league right now.

If not for the recent complication in his recovery, I would agree, he would be drafted higher (I still would not have taken him on the first day). But now that we're finding out that his recovery has gone so poorly that he's had to have a 2nd surgery now 6-7 months after the injury, it should be cause for concern that he'll never fully recover. Inevitably, someone will draft him late, but I also think he's probably carrying a few undraftable grades around the league right now.

I hear what you are saying, but if Frank Gore, Willis McGahee and Maurice Clarrett can drafted fairly early...

As Youbouty was rated a 1st rounder in many mocks last year whom the Bills got in the 3rd after a surprising number of teams had dropped heavy draft resources on DBs in the draft (many still say that Oak, the Bills and the Fins all over-reached with the safeties they took in the top 15) it seems quite possible (little is certain in this crapshoot known as the draft) that Hall may well sit on the bench for a while if we take him.

One of the primary other raps on Youbouty which had him drop to the third was that folks though he left college a year early and would have been an even more likely 1st rounder if he had stayed in and perfected his game before becoming a pro.

In order to buy the idea the Bills pick Hall one has to:

1. After the Bills already have clearly declared that a CB is not worth their top cap dollar since they not only passed on NC this year but actually agreed not to franchise him, it requires buying into the idea they are going to lock up yet another 1st day contract slot into CB. The notion of drafting yet another CB in the 1st seems counter to the way we are allocating our cap resources.

2.Youbouty got an even better year of perfecting his game last year since physical play did not seem to be his issue. 16 games of study and practice in the Bills system is far better and more focused teaching for him than playing 12 games for OSU would have been and one would have to buy the idea the Bills felt they failed so miserably in teaching him that they need to reload at CB.

3. It means little or nothing to the Bills that they had enough confidence in Youbouty's play that they gave him a start last year and that somehow this start indicated to them they need to drop major draft resources on a CB even though the D was incredibly productive with him starting against Pennington and NYJ as they best this O badly that game.

4. Perhaps folks buy into the idea that the fact Youbouty did not stick in the starting line-up the last two games is some indication they are looking elsewhere at CB even though the only way he could have stayed in the starting line-up would have been if the benched McGee (unlikely as he was playing better in the second half and now is slotted as their #1 or they benched NC. It does not seem to make sense that the fact Youbouty did not force his way into the starting line-up means they have lost confidence in him.

or Hall is the best player on the Bills board when Okoye, Willis and Branch all go in top 11 and nobody wants to trade up.

Why wouldn't you want Brown if the price is right? I could see/hope the Bills burn 2 draft picks on RBs, a 2nd for Irons and hey, maybe a 7th on Bush. Why not? The position would become a major strength for our team.

A-Train/Brown/Jackson/Shaud/Irons/Bush on IR?

That gives us enormous flexibility both now and in future years.

Antowain Smith averaged something like 1 yard and a cloud of dust per carry. Chris Brown averaged something like 5+ ypc last year. There's no comparison.

If healthy, Chris Brown could be a great pick-up for the Bills.

Ahh, there's the rub. Chris "Balsa Wood" Brown is never healthy for more than the blink of an eye. He's a major tease, because the talent is certainly there.

I hear what you are saying, but if Frank Gore, Willis McGahee and Maurice Clarrett can drafted fairly early...

McGahee is the only one that was in a comparable position. That said, he was also far ahead of Bush in his recovery and was in fact actually recovered to the point that he was jogging for scouts just before the draft. I also believe that he was taken far too early.

Gore actually proves my point about how medical concerns can drop a player. He had suffered a couple of past knee injuries, but had recovered and played his final season and was injury free going into the draft. There were still enough concerns about that knee that he fell all the way to the 3rd, despite proving he could still play.

Clarett's drop was largely due to off-the-field incidents.

And there it is...

I'm fine with signing Brown to an incentive laden deal. If he's healthy he's decent, if not we don't lose anything. For those who disparaged Antowain Smith he was part of a RB by committee that won a Super Bowl in New England. Nobody is asking Brown to carry the whole load. Brown and Thomas get the bulk of carries-if someone gets hot in a game ride em til they drop, Shaud Williams plays obvious passing downs.

I agree with other who suggest that if we do this we can roll the dice a bit on a RB in later rounds. Bottom line is we need at least one more person to tote the rock, if we dont get a FA we need to draft a guy reasonably high. If we sign another platooner it gives us more flexibility and leverage in the draft.

And there it is...

I'm fine with signing Brown to an incentive laden deal. If he's healthy he's decent, if not we don't lose anything. For those who disparaged Antowain Smith he was part of a RB by committee that won a Super Bowl in New England.

He wasn't just a part of it, he was the #1 back in that offense, wracking up at least 250 carries in each the Pats back to back Super Bowl years. During those years he had over 2500 total yards from scrimmage to go with 23TDs. The guy is proof that you don't need a great RB as long as you get good play from your OL.

I take a different view of a potential Chris Brown signing. I don't think it will change their draft plans at all. I believe that he is probably being looked at as a competitor to Anthony Thomas for the #2 role and that only one of them will be a part of the RB by committee.

I would agree if his contract is commeasurate to AT. With AT being a DJ "guy", CB would REALLY have to impress the staff in your scenario of one or the other being the #2 RB. I can't seem to get a good feel one way or the other what a CB signing means down the road for this team.

I would agree if his contract is commeasurate to AT. With AT being a DJ "guy", CB would REALLY have to impress the staff in your scenario of one or the other being the #2 RB. I can't seem to get a good feel one way or the other what a CB signing means down the road for this team.

If Brown signs that is significantly larger than that of Anthony Thomas, I think Thomas again finds himself in a battle for the #2 role, but this time with a rookie drafted in the first three rounds.