If Branch,Peterson,Okoye and Willis are there at 12?

freester

This is a difficult decision. I am sure that they all won't be available, but at least 2 will be.

I was high on Branch early on but he seems like he stock is slipping

I would be really happy with Okoye or Lynch....I dont want any part of Hall

because while our team does need a RB, our defense needs as much help as it can get. and there will be more-than-serviceable RBs left in the 2nd and maybe 3rd.

i just like a couple GOOD backs running behind our new line, and an improved D. rather than a GREAT back and another year of a horrible run D.

just personal preference.

because while our team does need a RB, our defense needs as much help as it can get. and there will be more-than-serviceable RBs left in the 2nd and maybe 3rd.

i just like a couple GOOD backs running behind our new line, and an improved D. rather than a GREAT back and another year of a horrible run D.

just personal preference.

I am inclined to agree with you, although okoye or branch may be preferable to willis. However Peterson is a special talent who will sell tickets. I would love to pick one of them, and then trade back into the first round to get another one.

I am inclined to agree with you, although okoye or branch may be preferable to willis. However Peterson is a special talent who will sell tickets. I would love to pick one of them, and then trade back into the first round to get another one.

WINNING sells tickets. not names.

This is a really tough choice. Peterson is the first off my survivor draft island in this scenario--its just too much to invest for an back who has a tendency to get injured and this draft's pool of running backs is pretty deep.

Willis is the next to go..I think we are serviceable at LB right now, particularly if we upgrade the nose tackle position..I am okay with Spikes (SLB); Crowell (MLB); Ellison (WLB) with Haggan, Stamer for goal line and then a couple of draftees -- one at strong/Mlb and one at WLB in in the draft later.

Okoye--He is not as finished a product as Branch right now--he is more of a 3 than a nose--we are okay at 3 with Tripplett and Williams.

Branch...you can't teach big and quick; they also say he is lazy and has a "low motor" at times...I think this coaching staff -- with Jauron's steady hand and laid back style and Fewell and Kollar's passion and teaching can get the most out of him. If we want to get better against the run--we have to have a great rotation at the nose--McCargo and Branch have the potential to be a pair to build on...

Branch...really tough choice though...I would be happy with Okoye, Willis or Branch...

As for Hall--corner is pretty deep in this draft--we can get a player who will do well in cover 2 in round 3....Hughes from Cal who is slow (4.6) but had 8 INT's last year--could be a Bill.

I know this sounds like a cop-out, but my answer is simply: WHOMEVER OUR SCOUTS have RANKED THE HIGHEST. That is really the only bright side to having so many needs... aside from QB and SS, I think you could make an argument to draft the best available player at almost any other position. I am no scout and do not pretend to be. There are however, many scouts employed by the team that are paid to make these kinds of decisions. Based on the early returns from last year's draft, I am inclined to trust their judgment. Assuming that these guys are all ranked very close, that is where I'd try to trade down.

I know this sounds like a cop-out, but my answer is simply: WHOMEVER OUR SCOUTS have RANKED THE HIGHEST. That is really the only bright side to having so many needs... aside from QB and SS, I think you could make an argument to draft the best available player at almost any other position. I am no scout and do not pretend to be. There are however, many scouts employed by the team that are paid to make these kinds of decisions. Based on the early returns from last year's draft, I am inclined to trust their judgment. Assuming that these guys are all ranked very close, that is where I'd try to trade down.

Your post makes sense, but I for one would add LT, DE, and any position in the secondary to your list. :w00t:

I would have to go with Peterson only because we have a glaring need at RB right now and I think that AP has the ability that could eventually see him in the Hall of Fame. He has been injury prone in college, but I think he would def be worth the risk and we could still sure up our Defense with the remaining picks on day 1.

This is a really tough choice. Peterson is the first off my survivor draft island in this scenario--its just too much to invest for an back who has a tendency to get injured and this draft's pool of running backs is pretty deep.

Willis is the next to go..I think we are serviceable at LB right now, particularly if we upgrade the nose tackle position..I am okay with Spikes (SLB); Crowell (MLB); Ellison (WLB) with Haggan, Stamer for goal line and then a couple of draftees -- one at strong/Mlb and one at WLB in in the draft later.

Okoye--He is not as finished a product as Branch right now--he is more of a 3 than a nose--we are okay at 3 with Tripplett and Williams.

Branch...you can't teach big and quick; they also say he is lazy and has a "low motor" at times...I think this coaching staff -- with Jauron's steady hand and laid back style and Fewell and Kollar's passion and teaching can get the most out of him. If we want to get better against the run--we have to have a great rotation at the nose--McCargo and Branch have the potential to be a pair to build on...

Branch...really tough choice though...I would be happy with Okoye, Willis or Branch...

As for Hall--corner is pretty deep in this draft--we can get a player who will do well in cover 2 in round 3....Hughes from Cal who is slow (4.6) but had 8 INT's last year--could be a Bill.

A quick question...did you think the same when the Bills drafted McGahee? That was a big gamble on a guy who put his leg on backwards. Just about any pick in the first round (especially the first half of the first round) is a big gamble that may or may not payoff. I think I would take Peterson if he's available...provided no one was signed prior to the draft. I agree with one of the other posts that an average back can be successful behind a good line, but if the Bills have not signed another RB, Peterson may have too much of an upside to pass on.

i was listening to guy who was at the pro scout day for Branch...said he was grossly overweight and out of shape. I guess that is bad news since I thought Branch would go before Okoye to Washington or Miami. We have to give a thought to whether Branch might not be the Defensive tackle we want. A little too much time at the twinkie table and too little time in the weight room. If Okoye is not there we might want to pick Willis or trade down and get either a Justin Harrel or one of the lynch/Irons/Pittman group of running backs. Some nice corners and linebackers will be available in the late second and third rounds. We can do all right.

I have to admit for the longest time I thought AP was out of the realm of possibility but with rumours Cleveland is going to draft a QB the texans signing both Ahman Green and Ron Dayne it seems like there is a good chance he could be there at 12 depending on what Atlanta does with #11 (they seem set with Dunn and Norwood but with a new coach they might go in a different direction) I wouldn't let him slip past us if we had an opportunity to take. I would rank the prospects in this order:

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Okoye

3. Branch

4. Willis ( I really like him but feel like there are a lot of other potential options in the later rounds)

i was listening to guy who was at the pro scout day for Branch...said he was grossly overweight and out of shape. I guess that is bad news since I thought Branch would go before Okoye to Washington or Miami. We have to give a thought to whether Branch might not be the Defensive tackle we want. A little too much time at the twinkie table and too little time in the weight room. If Okoye is not there we might want to pick Willis or trade down and get either a Justin Harrel or one of the lynch/Irons/Pittman group of running backs. Some nice corners and linebackers will be available in the late second and third rounds. We can do all right.

Branch is a classic 2 gap DT. He'd be best suited as a NT in a 3-4, as he reminds me of a younger, more raw version of Jamal Williams. As a 4-3 DT, I believe, he'll be okay, but playing in a scheme that doesn't best fit his abilities.

A quick question...did you think the same when the Bills drafted McGahee? That was a big gamble on a guy who put his leg on backwards. Just about any pick in the first round (especially the first half of the first round) is a big gamble that may or may not payoff. I think I would take Peterson if he's available...provided no one was signed prior to the draft. I agree with one of the other posts that an average back can be successful behind a good line, but if the Bills have not signed another RB, Peterson may have too much of an upside to pass on.

There's a huge investment gap between the 12th pick and the 23rd pick...its much more of a risk -- maybe double.

Agree. And I'd put Okoye second, and a tradedown third

Branch is a classic 2 gap DT. He'd be best suited as a NT in a 3-4, as he reminds me of a younger, more raw version of Jamal Williams. As a 4-3 DT, I believe, he'll be okay, but playing in a scheme that doesn't best fit his abilities.

Something I hadn't considered. More of an anchor than a penetrator?

adrian peterson......the bills are on the rise and i do not see the bills drafting as high as #12 in the forseeable future.this is one of our best chances to obtain an elite runningback!go bills in"07

I agree, they would have to be foolish not to take Peterson if he is still on the board. We know that running back and linebacker are a position of need, but running back is a much higher impact position than linebacker. Wouldn't you take the best running back in the draft over the best linebacker. He very well could be the next LT. Many would argue what Willis could be the next Urlacher. Considering that all draft picks are a gamble to a certain extent, don't you roll the dice with the running back.

I would have to go with Peterson only because we have a glaring need at RB right now and I think that AP has the ability that could eventually see him in the Hall of Fame. He has been injury prone in college, but I think he would def be worth the risk and we could still sure up our Defense with the remaining picks on day 1.

Is he the best EVER?

There's a huge investment gap between the 12th pick and the 23rd pick...its much more of a risk -- maybe double.

You think it's double the risk...even from the perspective of paying top 12 money? Please explain. On another note, if Peterson is available the Bills may have trade down offers they can't refuse. Even though I wouldn't mind seeing Peterson drafted, picking up a couple extra picks for him would be extremely beneficial...and, maybe, better in the long run. It's a really tough choice and one that I'm very interested in seeing what happens!

Peterson is too much of a talent to pass on if he slips to 12. Sure, you can say that he is injury proned and that we would be better off grabbing a running back later on, but he is very talented, has HOF potensial, and does NOT have an additude like Willis did/does. I think that an average back can be a good back with a good line, but a good/great back like Peterson can be an excellent top 5 back with a good line.

I think we are better off at D-Line than most people think and we just need to give players time to devolop. I also think that after reading reviews of Ashton Y.'s draft status last year, he would be a top corner 5 corner in this draft. Many people think that we are planning on drafting a top 5 corner to take over and start aside McGee, while we already have that PLUS a year of NFL experience with Ashton. I think Ashton will impress many as a starting corner in this league and there that we do not need to take a corner in the first 2 rounds of the draft.

If Peterson is not on the board(which he probally will not be) i would take Willis because he is a freak and LB is a postition of need right now. I think we will pick someone up in the draft to start or get playing time at one of the linebacker postitions. If we do pick up on Peterson by some miricle, I think that we will take a LB in the 2nd or 3rd rounds of this draft.

We all know how much stock to put in mock drafts, but...the latest one by Clark Judge on nfl.com has Willis going immediately before the Bills pick. I reiterate that mocks change daily as is evidenced by the fact that I think I have seen 5-8 different people that the Bills will take at 12, but it is something to consider. At least it keeps us talking!

Agree with the initial part of your answer (let the pro coaches figger it out). But assuming for the sake of argument that the four are all equally ranked, and are of top 12 caliber, I would like to see the halfback. RB's are generally the quickest out of the chute to produce at superstar levels. And we have a chance at 12 to get rare talent. I think this year we don't have to get cute or try to fill holes (last year makes even more sense this year). But this year we can trully take top flight talent. We don't have to find a diamond. And at 12 we will get a number of shots at a diamond.

I think this year we don't have to get cute or try to fill holes (last year makes even more sense this year). But this year we can trully take top flight talent. We don't have to find a diamond. And at 12 we will get a number of shots at a diamond.

hmm, i tend to disagree. i think that in year 2 of Marv we will keep building foundation and filling holes. this will give us a good base of players and role-players. we can be in a position to be better, to be good, and to make a run at the division/wild card spot. after this years improvement, THEN we can go big playmaker.

think about it, we got 5-6 possible starters out of last years draft. if we can get 3-4 out of this years, combined with the fact that we have ZERO starters becoming UFAs next year... THEN we can package some picks together and trade up and get our playmaker.

right now, we still have too many needs to get flashy. if we stay on track and have patience, next year could be a whole different story.

You think it's double the risk...even from the perspective of paying top 12 money? Please explain. On another note, if Peterson is available the Bills may have trade down offers they can't refuse. Even though I wouldn't mind seeing Peterson drafted, picking up a couple extra picks for him would be extremely beneficial...and, maybe, better in the long run. It's a really tough choice and one that I'm very interested in seeing what happens!

Actually the gap between 12 and 23 is not as much as I thought. My initial thought in my first reply to use was that the financial difference between what the Bills would pay the 12th versus what we paid Willis at 23rd increased the risk, but as I look at the last couple of years 1st round deals --The difference between 12 and 23 isn't that great.

A couple of other things to consider..

1) When we drafted McGahee -- we already had a hedge--Henry was our number 1 and was performing well-- it was okay to take a risk on an injury history talent because we drafted for depth and future leverage not an immediate starter..we don't have that luxury now.

2) Depth in this years draft--as always big DT's are at a premium--there are really 4 who might be able to step in and contribute right away--Okoye, Branch, Tank Tyler (Character questions) and oft injured Joel Harrell--so after the top 2 the next two have questions...I think our need here is greatest because of the way teams killed us with up the gut runs last year. The depth is much greater at the RB position..there is enough depth to draft 2 RB's and play the one who performs the best..

You make valid points..I guess that's what this discussion is all about--exchanging views

I have to admit for the longest time I thought AP was out of the realm of possibility but with rumours Cleveland is going to draft a QB the texans signing both Ahman Green and Ron Dayne it seems like there is a good chance he could be there at 12 depending on what Atlanta does with #11 (they seem set with Dunn and Norwood but with a new coach they might go in a different direction) I wouldn't let him slip past us if we had an opportunity to take. I would rank the prospects in this order:

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Okoye

3. Branch

4. Willis ( I really like him but feel like there are a lot of other potential options in the later rounds)

newaflash-

a team with a 32 year old RB who is starting to get dinged, is not "set"

Actually the gap between 12 and 23 is not as much as I thought. My initial thought in my first reply to use was that the financial difference between what would pay the 12th versus what we paid Willis at 23rd increased the risk, but as I look at the last couple of years 1st round deals -- it isn't that great.

A couple of other things to consider..

1) When we drafted McGahee -- we already had a hedge--Henry was our number 1 and was performing well-- it was okay to take a risk on an injury history talent..we don't have that luxury now.

2) Depth in this years draft--as always big DT's are at a premium--there are really 4 who might be able to step in and contribute right away--Okoye, Branch, Tank Tyler (Character questions) and oft injured Joel Harrell--so after the top 2 the next two have questions...I think our need here is greatest because of the way teams killed us with up the gut runs last year. The depth is much greater at the RB position..there is enough depth to draft 2 RB's and play the one who performs the best..

You make valid points...

All valid points. It's easier to make a pick like McGahee when you have Henry in your back pocket. I really am having trouble with what I would like to see happen! One day, I would love to see Peterson fall, but the next I wouldn't because I think there are glaring needs elsewhere. Things are so dynamic above us that it is difficult to predict who may be available when the Bills pick. No matter what happens, with the talent available, it seems like the Bills will be able to draft an impact player at any one of a number of positions. Unless they go WAY outside the box for something...let's hope that doesn't happen! It's fun to discuss!!

No brainer Willis, who is gonna stop the run this year a RB.

i still say adrian peterson...we can trade back into the lower 1st round or high second round and get paul posluszny.paul can play linebacker just as good as patrick willis.

adrian peterson......the bills are on the rise and i do not see the bills drafting as high as #12 in the forseeable future.this is one of our best chances to obtain an elite runningback!go bills in"07

Uncharacteristically insightful and intelligent responses on this topic. I favor this response myself

One of the nation's top defensive players ... A linebacker who can do it all ... Has great speed and quickness and is a tremendous hitter ... A leader both on the field and off the field ... Heavily involved in community service.

2006: Consensus All-American selection ... Distinguished as a First Team All-America By All-American Football Foundation, Associated Press, CBSSportsline.com, Football Writers' Association of America, The Gridiron Gazette, Pro Football Weekly, Rivals.com , Scout.com, SI.com, The Sporting News and the Walter Camp Football Foundation ... Received the Conerly Trophy as Mississippi's best college football player ... Named Midseason First Team All-America by CBS Sportsline.com and CollegeFootballNews.com ... Named Tennessee Amauter Male Athlete of the Year by the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fam ... 2006 Butkus Award and Lambert Trophy winner as the nation’s top linebacker ... Named first-team All-SEC and SEC Defensive Player of the Year by the Associated Press and the league's coaches ... Finalist for the Bronko Nagurski Award ... Semifinalist for the Rotary Lombardi Award and Lott Trophy ... Named to the SEC’s Academic Honor Roll ... Earned South Team Defensive MVP honors at the 2007 Senior Bowl, when he led all players with 11 tackles (seven solo) and one force fumble ... Led the SEC in tackles with 11.4 per game, which also ranked sixth in the NCAA ... Ranked third in the NCAA in solo tackles with 7.25 per outing ... Started all 12 games at middle linebacker, collecting 137 tackles (87 solo), 11.5 TFLs, seven passes defended, three sacks, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery ... Earned his fourth letter ... vs. Memphis (9/3): Posted 12 tackles (eight solo) and 1.5 TFLs and a forced fumble ... Earned Rebel Quarterback Club Defensive Player of the Week honors ... at Missouri (9/9): Turned in 10 tackles (six solo) and picked up a career-best two passes defended ... at Kentucky (9/16): Recorded a season-high 13 tackles (12 solo), also turned in 1.5 TFLs and a pass defended ... Combined with fellow LB Garry Pack for an Ole Miss record 26 solo tackles with Pack picking up 14 to go along with his career-best mark of 12 ... vs. Wake Forest (9/23): Notched his fourth double-digit tackling performance of the season with 11 tackles (seven solo) to go along with 1.0 TFL ... Named Rebel Quarterback Club Defensive Player of the Week ... vs. #9/10 Georgia (9/30): Held to a season-low four tackles (three solo) ... posted 1.0 TFL and one pass defended versus the Bulldogs ... vs. Vanderbilt (10/7): Tallied 12 tackles (eight solo), 0.5 TFLs, one forced fumble and one pass defended in holding the Commodores to a season-low 10 points ... at Alabama (10/14): Posted 11 tackles (four solo), including a crucial fourth-down stop which forced the game into overtime ... Also picked up one pass defended versus the Crimson Tide ... vs. #15/18 Arkansas (10/21): Turned in a game-high 13 tackles (10 solo), including 10 in the first half versus the Razorbacks ... vs. #7/7 Auburn (10/28): Tied career high with 15 total tackles (nine solo) ... vs. Northwestern State (11/4): Tallied a game-high 11 tackles (seven solo) versus the Demons ... at #9/9 LSU (11/18): Collected a game-high 12 tackles (six solo), including 3.0 TFLs, 1.0 sack and one forced fumble ... vs. Mississippi State (11/25): Recorded a game-high 13 tackles (seven solo) ... Also picked up 1.5 TFLs, 1.0 sack and one quarterback hurry in leading Ole Miss to a 20-17 Egg Bowl win ... Spring 2006: Did not participate in spring drills due to having foot surgery ... Received the 2006 Chucky Mullins Courage Award ... Preseason 2006: Named preseason First Team All-American and No. 1 inside linebacker in the nation by The Sporting News, Lindy's and CollegeFootballNews.com ... Selected as a preseason All-America by Playboy and a First Team honoree by NationalChamps.net ... Named to Watch Lists for the Bednarik Award, Rotary Lombardi Award and the Lott Trophy ... Also picked by Lindy's as the preseason SEC Defensive Player of the Year and was ranked No. 4 of 10 on its Bronko Nagurski Watch list ... Named Most Valuable Ole Miss Player by Lindy's, which also ranked him No. 5 on its SEC Top 10 NFL Talent list ... Rated No. 10 on SI.com's "Best College Football Players of 2006," the highest among six players from the SEC ... Chosen preseason First Team All-SEC by The Sporting News, Lindy's and Phipps Football Magazines ... Named to 2006 SEC "Good Works" team

Still think so! about the Penn State LB