Anyone see the new Christina Aguilera video?

The Poojer

I'm going to say this BEFORE i watch the vid (which I know I will hate). Unlike almost ALL of the other pop chicks out there CA is HUGELY talented. The girl can flat-out sing as good as the best singers of the soul, blues and R&B traditions. She has made many questionable choices in terms of taste and direction...but she is the real deal. She should grow as an artist and only get better with age and become a music legend if she doesn't totally screw up.

Candyman is a good pop song for her, too.

Now, let me go get pissed off by a cheesy video.

i want to hear what you think after the video, i think it is a pretty cool one....old school...real old school

I'm going to say this BEFORE i watch the vid (which I know I will hate). Unlike almost ALL of the other pop chicks out there CA is HUGELY talented. The girl can flat-out sing as good as the best singers of the soul, blues and R&B traditions. She has made many questionable choices in terms of taste and direction...but she is the real deal. She should grow as an artist and only get better with age and become a music legend if she doesn't totally screw up.

i want to hear what you think after the video, i think it is a pretty cool one....old school...real old school

As I thought, I hated it. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but it diminished the song and the talent of the musicians, IMO. Too much CHEESE for the Dean. I would be FAR more entertained watching her sing the song on stage with a great big band in the background (not on a vid, though). The dancing gay men in uniform do nothing to help the song, IMO.

DAMN, I am freaking snob.

With THAT said, she sure looks (and sounds) GREAT. I don't see my self buying her stuff, but I'll defend her talent any day.

she is talented..plus she can sing like an SOB

As I thought, I hated it. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but it diminished the song and the talent of the musicians, IMO. Too much CHEESE for the Dean. I would be FAR more entertained watching her sing the song on stage with a great big band in the background (not on a vid, though). The dancing gay men in uniform do nothing to help the song, IMO.

With THAT said, she sure looks (and sounds) GREAT. I don't see my self buying her stuff, but I'll defend her talent any day.

Closer

Much, MUCH closer, Fausty. I still have a few issues, as you might surmise:

They are singing (and playing?) over the soundtrack and, at times, outright lip syncing, as far as I can tell. WTF is that? Also, what's with the dancing guys who aren't part of the band at all? Why are they there and what's with the swing dancing? That's just distraction from, at least here, very good music. I have an idea, give one of those great musicians an 8-bar solo and focus on him/her. Brilliant!

As a video it is OK, but if I paid to see that in concert, I'd be PISSED!

Actually, I hate music videos, as a rule. I thing MTV and the music video might be the worst thing to happen to music in my lifetime. MTV was/is in league with the Devil. Something YOU know a little about Fausty. :thumbsup:

Maybe if she did less flaunting and more flat out singing, the people would pay more attention to her vocals than her body. As it is, this culture (as well as this post), tends to see her as a body first, and a singer second.

Actually, I hate music videos, as a rule. I thing MTV and the music video might be the worst thing to happen to music in my lifetime. MTV was/is in league with the Devil.

When does MTV play videos? As far as I can tell, it's approximately from 7-9 am.

Unlike almost ALL of the other pop chicks out there CA is HUGELY talented. The girl can flat-out sing as good as the best singers of the soul, blues and R&B traditions.

To think that her and Brittany Shears were actually contemporaries at one point in time. :thumbsup:

Maybe if she did less flaunting and more flat out singing, the people would pay more attention to her vocals than her body. As it is, this culture (as well as this post), tends to see her as a body first, and a singer second.

Well she is hot as hell and can sing like a bird. Kind of a win win situation for her. She'll get attention either way.

You ARE a snob, but I hear ya. The girl can sing.

When does MTV play videos? As far as I can tell, it's approximately from 7-9 am.

You must be young. When it was launched MTV played vids 24/7 (well, close, anyway).

Now, they've set their sites on ruining television and culture one step at a time!

Ohhhh...you were being sarcastic and I missed it. My bad, ink. :thumbsup:

You must be young. When it was launched MTV played vids 24/7 (well, close, anyway).

Now, they've set their sites on ruining television and culture one step at a time!

Ohhhh...you were being sarcastic and I missed it. My bad, ink. :thumbsup:

MTV2 apparently plays videos but that is about as available as Vs.

i would like to see her sing in front of Cherry Poppin Daddy's, Squirrel Nut Zippers, or Brian Setzer Orchestra, I bet that would be a nice combo...she could certainly belt out some of those big band type songs

I agree, POOJ she would be great in that venue. Those would be good bands for her.

While I like the bands mentioned, and their neo swing styles, my favorite modern swing band is Lavay Smith and the Red Hot Skillet Lickers. They are real old-school jazz and swing. The best swing band in the country, IMO, by a mile. Not the right band for CA, but an excuse to post this: