Briggs says he's done in Chicago

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats a really cheap deal for a high profiled LB atleaste a 1st round and 3rd but our head coach isn't george allen, who traded his picks for veteran players. I can't see us getting lance briggs even though jouran coached him his rookie season

Our GM actually got his start with George Allen. I urge you to read Levy's biography. It helps you get in Levy's thinking, andhelps pass the time until 4/28!!!

It's not that simple. Briggs can sit-out for half the season, which could seriously hurt their chances of doing anything, report for the last 8, half-ass it and keep hurting their chances, make $4M, and then become an UFA again.

if he wanted to do that, he'd be inactive for the last 8 games if i were running the team. have him try to get a big contract after sitting out for a year.

he'd cost himself millions.

I know, but it's REALLY hard to listen to someone whine about being disrespected for being forced to take 8 million guaranteed.

I understand the sentiment, but the reality is, if you were perceived as one of the best in your field, and your peers were making gobs more dough than you while not being marginally better than you at their job, you'd want fair pay, wouldn't you?

Look. If you manage a profitable McDonalds and make $15/hour but a profitable manager of equal capabilities at Burger King is making $22/hour, wouldn't you want what he's earning? Wouldn't you feel that you deserved it? It's unfortunate that the McDonalds manager has a hard time working for $15/hour and an NFL linebacker has a hard time working for $8M a year, but that's the way it worked out.

I get it. I'd do some ridiculous things for $8M and never whine once. But it's different for their profession and if someone is going to pay them that much money to play a sport, the problem doesn't really reside with the player as much as the person who's paying the player.

Forgive me for saying this, but I'm sincere when I say, don't hate the player.

The guy says he's not playing for them....look at the deals that get done when players make that kind of ultimatum...I know we may need to go a little higher but it won't be the 2 1's the franchise tag requires.

It would be great for the Bills to land him, but I'd wager that he'll play for the Bears in '07. The emotions will likely diminish for both sides.

if he wanted to do that, he'd be inactive for the last 8 games if i were running the team. have him try to get a big contract after sitting out for a year.

he'd cost himself millions.

If the team forced him to sit-out, he wouldn't cost himself anything. Everyone will be judging him on the 2006 season.

If the team forced him to sit-out, he wouldn't cost himself anything. Everyone will be judging him on the 2006 season.

no, theyll be judging him partly on his 2006 season. but the other part that will be FRESH in everyone's mind will be the "this guy got franchised and threw a hissy fit and sat out an entire season to screw his team" 2007 season.

thats a really cheap deal for a high profiled LB atleaste a 1st round and 3rd but our head coach isn't george allen, who traded his picks for veteran players. I can't see us getting lance briggs even though jouran coached him his rookie season

jauron did draft the guy in the 3rd round (a steal, btw) so maybe there's some loyalty there. seems like players do like jauron. and if it's not just talk briggs values loyalty from the institution. i could see bears taking a flyer on a healthy spikes and bills 2nd rounder. why not? briggs wants out anyway. if spikes returns to 100% he actually rates better than briggs. bills shedding spikes and a 2nd rounder frees up the "cash to cap" to sign briggs too. this trade also leaves bills free to take a running back in the first round. if this trade works bills real question is do they go for the veteran briggs or the very high potential of a rookie LB willis? i think i'd go with briggs if i want to win now.

I understand the sentiment, but the reality is, if you were perceived as one of the best in your field, and your peers were making gobs more dough than you while not being marginally better than you at their job, you'd want fair pay, wouldn't you?

Look. If you manage a profitable McDonalds and make $15/hour but a profitable manager of equal capabilities at Burger King is making $22/hour, wouldn't you want what he's earning? Wouldn't you feel that you deserved it? It's unfortunate that the McDonalds manager has a hard time working for $15/hour and an NFL linebacker has a hard time working for $8M a year, but that's the way it worked out.

I get it. I'd do some ridiculous things for $8M and never whine once. But it's different for their profession and if someone is going to pay them that much money to play a sport, the problem doesn't really reside with the player as much as the person who's paying the player.

Disagree, although hate isn't the correct word or emotion. Lack of respect may be more appropriate. Without going into a Pyrite novella, the bottom line is that the franchise tag is part of the golden goose that has allowed so many NFL players become millionaires. Maybe those like Lance Briggs, or Joey Galloway from years back, should be placed into a time capsule and transported back to 1970. See how they would like the salaries of that era.

Contracts? They are to be honored, as should the collective bargaining agreement. So, should we have any sympathy for these poor mistreated souls? No, not one ounce.

this trade also leaves bills free to take a running back in the first round. if this trade works bills real question is do they go for the veteran briggs or the very high potential of a rookie LB willis? i think i'd go with briggs if i want to win now.

i think if we can trade spikes away for briggs, then id still draft Willis at 12 and grab a RB in in the 2nd. aside from a "dominant" RB and a strong #2 WR, this offense should be pretty set to step up. but with the running back by committee policy, we can get away with a 2nd round talent right now, and quite frankly i liked our WR core last year. The new line upgrade should improve both aspects of the O as well.

drafting Willis, and adding Briggs IMMEDIATELY swings that whole "worst defense ever" feeling. we go CB, then DT/WR in the 3rd round depending on which players are available. then i think we'd be all set...

i think if we can trade spikes away for briggs, then id still draft Willis at 12 and grab a RB in in the 2nd. aside from a "dominant" RB and a strong #2 WR, this offense should be pretty set to step up. but with the running back by committee policy, we can get away with a 2nd round talent right now, and quite frankly i liked our WR core last year. The new line upgrade should improve both aspects of the O as well.

drafting Willis, and adding Briggs IMMEDIATELY swings that whole "worst defense ever" feeling. we go CB, then DT/WR in the 3rd round depending on which players are available. then i think we'd be all set...

i was thinking pretty much the same thing. IF and that's a BIG if, you can get Briggs for Spikes and a 2nd (the fact is, who knows what is value is right now, it could be driven down if he buckles down and really is content sitting out or be much higher if Chicago plays hard ball- who knows, it depends on who blinks first), then I would trade down in the first, use that pick on Willis or Puz (whoever is there) or even Timmons (although I'm not sold on him even though Mel "know it all" Kiper has him rated higher than both willis and puz) and then use the second on RB (If i were the GM that'd be Hunt, but it could be any of those backs) then use the two third round picks on CB/DT/FB best availables.... something to this extent:

trade 2nd rounder (43rd overall) and Spikes to Chicago for Briggs

trade down from 12 to high teens/low twenties (Giants at 20 overall?) for teams 2nd round pick.

1st Round: Puz (OLB)

2nd Round: Hunt (RB) or (irons, pittman, etc...)

3rd Round: Damian Hughyes (CB)

3rd Round: Brian Leonard (FB)

LB's would look something like this:

Briggs Crowell Puz

or

Briggs Willis Crowell

resign Kiwaukee Thomas and let him, Youboty and Hughyes compete for the 2nd CB. that gives you veteran insurance but also two promising young guys pushing each other.

The only spot that wouldn't really be addressed would be DT, but my suspicion is that the coaching staff and levy want to see what last year's guys can do (mcCargo and Williams) with another year in the system. Although personally, i think we need a bigger DT to help against the run, i have a feeling LB is priority 1 on Def. followed by CB and THEN DT for this coaching staff.

ohhh, i can dream can't I?!

As a franchised player he will be makink the average of the TOP FIVE players at his position. I think that is fair pay. Does anyone think he is the #1 linebacker in the NFL?

no, theyll be judging him partly on his 2006 season. but the other part that will be FRESH in everyone's mind will be the "this guy got franchised and threw a hissy fit and sat out an entire season to screw his team" 2007 season.

I was going under the scenario that Briggs sits-out the first 8 games, comes back for the last 8, but is benched/inactivated by the team. No way does he sit-out the whole year voluntarily and miss making anything, much less the $4M he could make if he returned mid-season.

would be great but im assuming we lose our 2nd for rounder briggs (along with spikes.) that means we have to wait until the 3rd round for an RB, but at least w. the ravens pick we get 2 bites at the apple.

Interesting quote from the ESPN article on the situation with Briggs and the Bears:

Money might not be the only reason Briggs wants out of Chicago. He said he wants to be the leader of a team and knows he'll never overtake Brian Urlacher in Chicago.

"I've talked to Brian about it," Briggs told the Web site. "I'm a competitor and I want the same thing he has. I've learned a lot from Brian as a player and a leader and I eventually want to be 'the man' somewhere. I want to be like him and have everything put on me too. Obviously I'll never be able to do that there.

Contract offer the Bears made in March 2006--

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo countered that he felt the $7.2 million the team would pay Briggs next season was very fair. The linebacker reportedly turned down a seven-year, $33 million deal in March 2006. Now, he's ready to gamble again.

I'm sure we still have some surprising moves left. Here's a few notes that could have a big impact in the near future. First, there's a rumor that Holcomb may retire. Don't ask for a link, I forget where I heard it but I didn't pay much attention to it when I did. I mention this because if it's true I don't know how this will affect the cap.

maybe here. Chirs brown saying Nall was quoted saying he thinks Holcomb may retire. :thumbdown: