Who is the best bill you ever met?

I've crossed paths with several players just by living in Buffalo. I saw JP and Dylan McFarland at a concert at UB a few years ago while he had his broken leg. He seemed very polite.

The nicest Bill I have ever known was Justin Armour. He was renting a flat for his girlfriend from a relative of mine, so we met him a few times. During the 1996 season he got me, my dad and brothers into the locker room after the Week 4 win against the Cowboys. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Armour was injured, so he didn't even play in the game. The first guy he introduced us to was his Stanford buddy, TE Tony Cline, who was sitting in front of his locker with nothing but a towel on. That was kind of weird. During the locker room trip we shook hands with that day's starter Todd Collins. Van Miller came in and was talking to Armour wearing a fur coat. We saw lots of other players, obviously.

Anyway, we gave all sorts of merchandise to Armour, including a binder full of all of our Bills football cards. He returned it a few months later with pretty much every card signed, except for maybe the Jim Kelly cards. So in summary, Justin Armour is a really nice guy.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've crossed paths with several players just by living in Buffalo. I saw JP and Dylan McFarland at a concert at UB a few years ago while he had his broken leg. He seemed very polite.

The nicest Bill I have ever known was Justin Armour. He was renting a flat for his girlfriend from a relative of mine, so we met him a few times. During the 1996 season he got me, my dad and brothers into the locker room after the Week 4 win against the Cowboys. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Armour was injured, so he didn't even play in the game. The first guy he introduced us to was his Stanford buddy, TE Tony Cline, who was sitting in front of his locker with nothing but a towel on. That was kind of weird. During the locker room trip we shook hands with that day's starter Todd Collins. Van Miller came in and was talking to Armour wearing a fur coat. We saw lots of other players, obviously.

Anyway, we gave all sorts of merchandise to Armour, including a binder full of all of our Bills football cards. He returned it a few months later with pretty much every card signed, except for maybe the Jim Kelly cards. So in summary, Justin Armour is a really nice guy.

I second that opinion. Justin Armour was/is a class act. I too, will never forget that experience of being in the Bills locker room thanks to Justin's generosity.

well i only met terrence mcgee, jim kelly, and thurman thomas. but out of the three of them I think the best person I met was jim kelly, I met him last year when he maid an appearance at one of the day at training camp, it was the greatest day ever.

Cookie Gilchrist--remember when i was 6 yrs old i met him at my dads business..He had about 5 women in the car with him at the time...i think it was some big old caddy.

The best Bill I ever met in person was Marcellus Wiley. I actually waited on his table at a restaurant in Chevy Chase Maryland (Cheesecake Factory) and he forgot his credit card in the check presenter.

I haven't had the opportunity to meet many Bills players in my life other then him and Russ Tucker so there isn't much to choose from, although as a kid I was in Jerry Butler's fan club.

As far as famous people from other sports teams, I waited on Michael Jordan in a private boardroom at Mortons of Chicago Steakhouse in D.C. along with Wes Unseld and Abe Polian.

I've also been lucky enough to meet the following other people in person working at Morton's.

I waited on all of these people individually except Mario, I actually just went up to him by the host stand and shook his hand and said hi.......................he is one big dude.

Hockey - Mario Lemieux, Chris Simon, Olie Kolzig, Serge Gonchar

Basketball - Antonio Daniels, Antonio McDyess, Coach Rick Pittino

Football - Jim Plunkett, Darrell Green, Art Monk, Harold Carmichael, Mike Quick, Mark Mosley,

Baseball - Jose Guillen, Brooks Robinson,

Comedian - Chris Tucker

Actress - Cheryl Ladd, Linda Carter

Actor - Bruce Willis, Jack Lemon

Radio Man - Wolfman Jack (about 13 years ago at Planet Hollywood)

I'm sure there are others I've missed mentioning over the 8 years I've worked there but Jordan was definitely the best and one I will never forget. He is a super funny guy in person and was the life of the party cracking on everyone at the table.

well i only met terrence mcgee, jim kelly, and thurman thomas. but out of the three of them I think the best person I met was jim kelly, I met him last year when he maid an appearance at one of the day at training camp, it was the greatest day ever.

When I was a boy my parents surprised me on a day we were doing family activities and stopped by the Bills practice at Niagara University.

As so many young kids would be, I was thrilled at the idea of seeing the players and getting their autographs.

When we spotted one of the players going to the practice field I ran as fast as I could toward him. It ended up being Robert James.

James had a big smile, juked me out, wrestled/played around with me and gave me an autograph. He was very friendly and kind and this left a lasting impression on me.

I have met a variety of Bills players under different circumstances -

but will always remember my interaction with James at an age when I looked at the players as super heros.

Thanks, great story. Robert James was one of my favorite Bills players back then. No one could play bump and run, tight coverage better. Unfortunately he was never the same after his injury, or he'd be in the Hall of Fame. One classy guy though.

I met OJ Simpson one night out in LA. He gave me the glove off his hand and signed it for me. I was pumped. I gave him my glove for some odd reason, even though it didnt fit him he took it. I wonder if he still has it.

It was cool.

Actually the glove didn't fit...funny story about that glove. I gave him a pair of Bruno Magli shoes...never seemed to wear them though.

Bruce and Thurman a few times after games at the Big Tree

Al Bemiller used to do security in my section

Steve and Sarah Tasker in Canton in 2001 along with Metzelaars

a bunch of old time players in 99...got invites to Billy Shaw's induction reception

Anyone who saw the inductions that year may remember that he forgot to thank his wife...Eric Dickerson called him out on it...Pat, Billy's wife, stood up and shook her finger at Billy

Thing is....he almost forgot her a second time that day...he was leaving the reception after we were all talking for a while...she was still talking with me, Al Bemiller, Denny Lynch, and a few other people

Billy Shaw, for anyone who never met him, is in the dictionary under "class gentleman"

Also..met JP and Coy Wire last year when they were judging the 1st round of Jills tryouts...and T-Mac and Stamer at the Jills Congratulatory Party

Bills I can recall meeting are Jack Kemp, Ernie Warlick, Paul McGuire, Al BeMiller, Joe O'Donnell, Billy Shaw, Juice, Bobby Chandler, Tony Greene, Jim Kelly, Kent Hull, Carleton Baily, Andre Reed, Bruce Smith, Phil Hansen, and John Butler.

I meet Billy Shaw at the Hall of Fame the year that Jim Kelly got in. He was a great guy to talk to.

John Butler was awesome. He spent about 30 minutes talking football with me while outside of "Pilot Field" before a Bisons game one July afternoon.

Reed was super nice to my kids.

Hansen was very kind. Bruce was a bit aloof.

Chandler and Greene were quiet gentlemen that used to come into the Boardwalk Cafe (Delaware and Great Arrow) for dinner a lot. I was a busboy there and got to take care of their table a lot. Few players today conduct themselves like they did. Class acts all the way.

remember warlicks hamburger joint on main?? he was always up there working.

Buddy Nix. Scout for the Bills in a sports bar in Durham, NC.

We sat at the same table and watched the opener in 1997 (first start of Todd Collins reign).

He is in SD now. Cool guy. I ask him how he is a big Bills fan with that deep southern accent and he flips me a business card and asks me not to tell the mob of Bills fans there. Nice guy.

I did mention I like Tiki Barber better than Ant. Smith and he said he like Tiki but Smith had incredible size and speed. Both guys were his responsibility b/c he did scout Texas and Virginia and all the key schools in Texas and East in the South. I politely just said based on what I saw in the Senior bowl I love Tiki. He thought he might not be an every down back. Guess I need a new job... :devil:

Go Bills!

I meet Sammy Morris, when the Bills played Seattle. Wade was the head coach. We talked about 30 min, I asked him point blank “is wade getting fired" he just laughs. He was so down to earth and just a great guy.