Why DT Alan Branch will be there at 12

As free-agency has played out and both the combines and pro days come to a close I think there is a very good possibility that DT Alan Branch falls to us at 12.

01. Oakland -- QB JaMarcus Russell (LSU) | A larger, slower, less mobile but more powerful version of Aaron Brooks. He's a mistake and interceptiion machine when you need a completion.

02. Detroit -- LT Joe Thomas (Wisconsin) | I can't believe Detroit will be picking a LT over a franchise QB, RB or WR but they've been burned on those before so I guess they're a bit spooked.

03. Cleveland -- RB Adrian Peterson (Oklahoma) | Does he have some injury concerns? Sure. Luckily the two teams above Cleveland think he will have trouble staying healthy in the NFL.

04. Tampa Bay -- WR Calvin Johnson (Georgia Tech) | I still think he could and should go no.1 overall but if he drops to 4 he doesn't go any further.

05. Arizona -- DE Gaines Adams (Clemson) | Is he Jevon Kearse or Kalimba Edwards? Seems like he's Jevon Kearse and Arizona needs someone that can get to the QB.

06. Washington -- DE Jamaal Anderson (Arkansas) | He reminds me of Julius Peppers more than Mario Williams and his fall to no.6 is an indication of the talent of the five picks before him.

07. Minnesota -- CB Leon Hall (Michigan) | Smoot has left and they need another CB so they can move Griffin and his liabilities to S.

08. Houston -- QB Brady Quinn (ND) | I think its a good possibility if he drops to 6 or 7 that someone trades up but he wont get past Houston.

09. Miami -- LT Levi Brown (Penn. St.) | He's a reach here but they are desperate for OL help.

10. Atlanta -- WR Ted Ginn, Jr. (Ohio State) | With Petrino emphasizing the passing attack they are going to need someone who can go get the ball and no one goes and gets it better than Ginn.

11. San Fran -- DT Amobi Okoye (Louisville) | If Atlanta grabs him then I think SF takes Branch so my hope is that we use a third to swap picks with Minnestoa if that seems likely.

With the 12th pick in the 2007 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select:

Defensive Tackle from Michigan, Alan Branch.

I know nobody is going to agree but Hall and Ginn are moving up everyone's board and Miami needs OL help more than DL help so I think there is a good possibility we get branch.

I also know we need a RB but this class is deep enough to wait until the 2nd or even 3rd round to get him.

Bad idea.

I was listening to the "experts" the other day on the NFL Network and someone asked about Branch. Bottom line: They said he's too big to play in a Cover Two scheme. He's a nose tackle in a 3-4 or you put him outside to rush the passer.

I don't doubt that you heard this but my guess it was before both he an Okoye worked out at the combine. Why?

Because they posted nearly identical 10, 20 and 40 yd times and Branch would be the ideal DT in the cover 2 because of his combination of size, agility and strength.

Bad idea.

I was listening to the "experts" the other day on the NFL Network and someone asked about Branch. Bottom line: They said he's too big to play in a Cover Two scheme. He's a nose tackle in a 3-4 or you put him outside to rush the passer.

That’s bull, nothing would help this defense more then a legitimate NT. If Branch is available and we pass I will be devastated, especially after passing on Ngata last year.

As free-agency has played out and both the combines and pro days come to a close I think there is a very good possibility that DT Alan Branch falls to us at 12.

01. Oakland -- QB JaMarcus Russell (LSU) | A larger, slower, less mobile but more powerful version of Aaron Brooks. He's a mistake and interceptiion machine when you need a completion.

02. Detroit -- LT Joe Thomas (Wisconsin)

03. Cleveland -- RB Adrian Peterson (Oklahoma)

04. Tampa Bay -- WR Calvin Johnson (Georgia Tech) | I still think he could go no.1 overall but if he drops to 4 he doesn't go any further.

05. Arizona -- DE Gaines Adams (Clemson)

06. Washington -- DE Jamaal Anderson (Arkansas)

07. Minnesota -- CB Leon Hall (Michigan) | Smoot has left and they need another CB so they can move Griffin and his liabilities to S.

08. Houston -- QB Brady Quinn (ND) | I think its a good possibility if he drops to 6 or 7 that someone trades up but he wont get past Houston.

09. Miami -- LT Levi Brown (Penn. St.) | He's a reach here but they are desperate for OL help.

10. Atlanta -- WR Ted Ginn, Jr. (Ohio State) | With Petrino emphasizing the passing attack they are going to need someone who can go get the ball and no one goes and gets it better than Ginn.

11. San Fran -- DT Amobi Okoye (Louisville)

With the 12th pick in the 2007 NFL draft, the Buffalo Bills select:

Defensive Tackle from Michigan, Alan Branch.

I know nobody is going to agree but Hall and Ginn are moving up everyone's board and Miami needs OL help more than DL help so I think there is a good possibility we get branch.

I know we need a RB but this class is deep enough to go to the 2nd round to get him.

Not a chance. the 49ers would never take Okoye over Branch. They play a 3-4 and Branch is a perfect fit, whereas okoye could only play end in the 3-4.

I don't doubt that you heard this but my guess it was before both he an Okoye worked out at the combine. Why?

Because they posted nearly identical 10, 20 and 40 yd times and Branch would be the ideal DT in the cover 2 because of his combination of size, agility and strength.

If his measureables are so good, then 11 teams won't pass on such a versatle stud.

Miami may reach for Brown since they have no OL left, but highly doubt that Ginn and Hall go top 12. More likely Laron Landry is 1st DB off the board

A lot of draft people have Miami taking either Okoye or Branch, mostly Okoye...if they do, Branch doesn't make it past San Fran, I believe, and then both are gone by us.

A lot of draft people have Miami taking either Okoye or Branch, mostly Okoye...if they do, Branch doesn't make it past San Fran, I believe, and then both are gone by us.

I see your logic but Miami is much more desperate for OL help than DL help so my guess is that they reach with Brown.

I really hope that we can swap picks with a team like Minnesota with it only costing us a 4th or possibly 3rd rounder.

If his measureables are so good, then 11 teams won't pass on such a versatle stud.

Miami may reach for Brown since they have no OL left, but highly doubt that Ginn and Hall go top 12. More likely Laron Landry is 1st DB off the board

They would if there other players with eye-popping measurables and fill a critical need on their team.

There are almost guaranteed to be at least one, probably two, easily three shockers in the first 11 picks of the draft. That happens almost every single year. I really expect either Branch or Okoye to be available to us at 12, at least a 50-50 chance, and I surely hope they take either of them.

Bad idea.

So he's too big to play the cover two because he's not quick enough, but could be a DE in a 3-4? That doesn't make any sense at all.

So he's too big to play the cover two because he's not quick enough, but could be a DE in a 3-4? That doesn't make any sense at all.

I'm not great at this but I'll try. I thought that in a defense that employs a Cover-Two scheme that quick penetrating tackles are employed. That's why they got Larry Tripplett, got rid of Sam Adams and didn't draft Haloti Ngata.

In the Cover-Two or the Tampa-2 (the version that we run) relies on smaller, faster players who "run to the ball". Each player is responsible for his "own gap". Branch is a classic two-gap to clog the middle---like Sam Adams.

I'm getting confused because the draft reports I'm reading on him say that he could be used (and he has played) in a 3-4 as an end or a nose tackle or either tackle spot in a 4-3. They say he's quick---for his size---but his 40 time is well over five seconds.

What they were saying (actually it was former Bears DE Tim Ryan on Sirius) is that because of his size (6-6, 331) that he was "way to big and slow" for a Cover-2.

That's what I heard and it seems to make logical sense.

I'm not great at this but I'll try. I thought that in a defense that employs a Cover-Two scheme that quick penetrating tackles are employed. That's why they got Larry Tripplett, got rid of Sam Adams and didn't draft Haloti Ngata.

In the Cover-Two or the Tampa-2 (the version that we run) relies on smaller, faster players who "run to the ball". Each player is responsible for his "own gap". Branch is a classic two-gap to clog the middle---like Sam Adams.

I'm getting confused because the draft reports I'm reading on him say that he could be used (and he has played) in a 3-4 as an end or a nose tackle or either tackle spot in a 4-3. They say he's quick---for his size---but his 40 time is well over five seconds.

What they were saying (actually it was former Bears DE Tim Ryan on Sirius) is that because of his size (6-6, 331) that he was "way to big and slow" for a Cover-2.

That's what I heard and it seems to make logical sense.

Actually no, his time was barely over 5 seconds as was Okoye. Branch ran 5.07 and Okoye ran a 5.06.

Branch can do everything that you want a DT to do in the cover-2 and much more because of his size and strength.