ESPN'S Michael Smith

"Steinbeck money?"

Although he was a great writer and filmmaker, I doubt John Steinbeck ever made 50 million dollars over 7 years, much less his whole career.

Sorry - It should read "Steinbach" as in Eric formerly of the Bengals and now wth the Browns.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't you know? Willis is the best back in the league. Just ask him.

For what it is worth (nothing)... I inserted Willis on the Ravens in Madden '07 and added Chris Brown to the Bills to see how we would do. Chris Brown ended up with 20 yards and I replaced him with Shaud Williams in the 4th quarter. McGahee was the MVP of the game. I couldn't hold him back. Losman to Evans was working. They got the ball late in the forth with me down by 3 and ran the ball out on me with McGahee. I had to shut it off before the final whistle. :nana:

From what I heard about what he said I don't believe he was too far off. Much like Peter said. We don't have last years number 1 or 2 rusher on our team at the minute and have yet to sign a free agent t oreplace them.

We have lost our top DB and have yet to replace him.

Lost our top LB and our emotinal leader and have yet to replace him.

Yes, it looks like we may have improved our OL but that's the only thing we improved thus far. Everywhere else is either the same our worst than last year.

Therfore, that sounds like a pretty bad off season "thus far".

We all know that it's not over yet but at the moment he's pretty accurate in my opinion.

We all know that it's not over yet but at the moment he's pretty accurate in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm getting a bit sick of all the "rah rah" posts any time someone dares post something negative about the Bills' offseason. No, we all know it's not over yet, but at least from where I'm sitting the Bills have managed a good upgrade to one very important area while creating a number of holes to fill. I'm skeptical at this point that they'll manage to fill them all in satisfactory fashion.

Just because someone points this out doesn't mean they're not a fan and I wish people would stop with the content-free bashing of any post that isn't rainbows and sunshine.

and honestly, i dont remember him saying "the Bills stink, theyre gonna stink this whole year, theyre beyond hope"

the piece was to name the biggest LOSERS, and we DID lose a lot.

we gained some lineman. but when you dont look at it from team needs and cap figures, we really did probably lose the most this offseason.

For what its worth, for good or bad, I think the off season has gone exactly as Marv et al. have planned or expected.

So yes, we may have lost all these guys, but has any of it really been a surprise? Has there been a single guy on the team or FA that Marv really seemed to want that we didn't keep/get? I don't think so. That tells me they must have some plan for addressing all these "loses" and we're steadily progressing along that plan.

So, I won't panic or even worry about the current state of the team until I see no new signees or they trade all their draft picks just to move up in the 2008 draft. So, when's the draft? Late April? That's when I'll start to get worried and predict my doom and gloom.. oh no we're gonna go 0-16 this year. Until then I say let's be patient. Let's discuss the moves that are being made. Let's discuss whether or not we think they're good moves. But, let's just hold off on making predictions or saying we've had the worst off season.

Let me guess: The big offseason winners are the Patriots. :nana:

Yes he said that the Patriots are the offseason winners so far.

Lets see, they lose Daniel Graham (2 TDs), Corey Dillon (13 TDs) and Troy Brown (4 TDs) to retirement and they gain Wes Welker (1 TD) and Adalius Thomas.

They're losing 19 TDs worth of offense from 2006 while gaining a guy who had 1 TD last year. But the fact they landed Adalius Thomas wipes away all of these key loses somehow. Exactly how many Superbowl rings does Adalius Thomas and Wes Welker have? But but, they're the Patriots...everything they do is the stuff of genious!

Lets see, they lose Daniel Graham (2 TDs), Corey Dillon (13 TDs) and Troy Brown (4 TDs) to retirement and they gain Wes Welker (1 TD) and Adalius Thomas.

They're losing 19 TDs worth of offense from 2006 while gaining a guy who had 1 TD last year. But the fact they landed Adalius Thomas wipes away all of these key loses somehow. Exactly how many Superbowl rings does Adalius Thomas and Wes Welker have? But but, they're the Patriots...everything they do is the stuff of genious!

Keep trying to spin that Welker isn't a good pickup for them, but the more you do, the more I'll wonder if you watched him play for the Dolphins last year.

Keep trying to spin that Welker isn't a good pickup for them, but the more you do, the more I'll wonder if you watched him play for the Dolphins last year.

Every time I ever watched Welker play, the guy made plays. He also returns punts. He is a good football player.

Every time I ever watched Welker play, the guy made plays. He also returns punts. He is a good football player.

Wayne Chebret also made plays, that doesn't mean he can make up for 18 touchdowns of lost production. Or that he can replace the ultimate playmaker that Troy Brown was in Patriots history. I find that hard to believe.

I'm glad opening Sunday isn't this sunday, because we would have a glaring hole at RB. The rest of our team isn't that bad with Ellison-Crowell-Spikes at LB, Triplett-Kyle-McCargo-Hargrove rotating at DT, and Youboty-McGee at CB. Obvously those aren't our starters because we get to have a draft too. But right now our weakness is having no good options at RB. Obviously we all know that will change, just don't know how.

This has us on the path to a very successful off season if we can fill the hole at RB, the single most replaceable position on the football field (and you know Dick and Marv have a plan or they wouldn't let Willis go). Then we have the rest of our picks and free agent dollars to upgrade positions like LB/CB/DT etc. We are fine, and it is no problem that the national media doesn't think so. They shouldn't be worrying about the Bills right now...we should be under the radar, and giving up a name back for draft picks should put us further under the radar.

the Graham TDs will be picked up by Watson, the Dillon TDs will be picked up by Maroney, and its very possible for Welker to score 4+ times on the Pats...

i cant believe im actually arguing FOR the pats in a way... but this point is pretty obvious

Losing a >1,000yd rusher in this league means nothing. Over the past 2 to 3 years how many no namers have been plugged into teams and suddenly become big name running backs overnight? Rudi Johnson, Ruben Droughns, Frank Gore, Willie Parker, Thomas Jones, Joseph Addai etc.

There is a plethora of good running back talent in the NFL. Lets just hope marv can find the talent.

Spin job???? Just stating the facts, got a problem with the facts?

When your "facts" are simply reciting the TD numbers from the previous year and ignoring the possibility of someone taking a step up in a new system, yes, I have a problem with them. It looks to me like the Pats took a look at areas where they were weak (LB and WR), got some people to fill those holes, and let surplus players from areas of strength go. Now they head into the draft without any overwhelming positional need. I'd say that so far that's a pretty good off-season.