Miami gets the best of Belicheck

Also on Monday, the Dolphins acquired second- and seventh-round draft choices from the New England Patriots in exchange for wide receiver Wes Welker. The second-round pick is the 60th overall, and the Dolphins now own nine selections in the 2007 Draft, including three of the first 60 picks.

A 2nd and 7th for Miami's 3rd sting WR seems like a lot?

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/news/...?contentID=5063

Also on Monday, the Dolphins acquired second- and seventh-round draft choices from the New England Patriots in exchange for wide receiver Wes Welker. The second-round pick is the 60th overall, and the Dolphins now own nine selections in the 2007 Draft, including three of the first 60 picks.

I hope Marv holds strong for a 2nd round pick for McGahee. Tell the Ravens the deal can be off he he doesn't sign an extension.

I'm not so sure. He was a real threat whenever he got the ball either on returns or YAC. My concern is the way NE got him. It was a form of extortion and there is nothing Miami could do but accept. If the NFL doesn't do something about the poison pill, any team can do this for any RFA.

Pretty sad when a team can do this. Will be used more? We will see how dirty teams will want to play!

I hope Marv holds strong for a 2nd round pick for McGahee. Tell the Ravens the deal can be off he he doesn't sign an extension.

Why? thats what conditional picks are for. Take a second or a combnation of a couple of low to mid round picks for him and have them throw in a conditional in 2008 if he resigns with them.

Something like a 2nd or a 3rd now for him (since chanes are you lose him at the end of the year anyway) with a conditional pick in 2008 if he signs an extension

I would say the deals off with the Ravens if he doesn't sign an extension. They may not be able to til later this season due to how close they are to the cap.

I'm not so sure. He was a real threat whenever he got the ball either on returns or YAC. My concern is the way NE got him. It was a form of extortion and there is nothing Miami could do but accept. If the NFL doesn't do something about the poison pill, any team can do this for any RFA.

Pretty sad when a team can do this. Will be used more? We will see how dirty teams will want to play!

I'm not syaing welkerisnt good, but he is NOT a 2nd and 7th round pick good.

Oregon - did NE make an offer that Miami couldnt match? What was it? If so, why did they end up giving up the 60th pick in the draft, when we cant even get a 2nd rounder for a #1 pick and starting RB that is the self-proclamied best RB in the NFL?

I think New England got a very good deal. A 7th rounder is likely not to make the Patriots squad, and Welker is a "third string receiver" the way Steve Tasker was a third or 4th stringer for us.

Welker, IMO, is maybe just a notch above Tasker as a receiver, and brings some amazing special teams skills to the tables, both in terms of coverage and returns.

Lets face it, the Patriots don't have as many needs as a lot of teams (like the Dolphins), so, while giving up a second round pick seems a lot for a role player, Welker, like Tasker before him, has got to be one of the smartest players in the leauge, in football terms...he will help the Pats out, not necessarily as a receiver.

I wouldn't want the Bills to give up a second rounder for Welker, but if we had a roster like the Patriots, I wouldn't be too upset.

Teams can avoid this by awarding the 1st or 1st/3rd round tenders. They arent much more money, and no one is going to poison-pill away your RFA's when they have to cough up a #1 pick.

Yeah, I don't think this is a bad deal for NE at all. To be honest, Welker was the only guy who seemed to show up to play when the Fins played the Bills, and now on a higher-caliber team he has potential to be a thorn in our sides for several years to come.

Now i underdstand better:

Wilson among interesting restricted FAsBy Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Archive

It took only four days into free agency for the action to move to the restricted segment of the market, with the New England Patriots on Monday acquiring Miami Dolphins wide receiver Wes Welker.

Rather than acquire Welker in the conventional manner, by signing him to a restricted free-agent offer sheet and waiting a week to see whether the Dolphins would match the deal, the Patriots instead struck a trade. They cleverly offered an additional seventh-round choice, beyond the second-round compensation tag Welker already carried, and the two sides avoided the usually inherent red tape.

Whether other teams will be so creative in approaching restricted free agents remains to be seen, but there almost certainly will be an increasingly active market for the three-year veterans in the coming days.

Securing the services of restricted free agents historically has been a difficult undertaking with the current system. In the 14 previous years of free agency, only 55 restricted free agents changed teams. Four restricted free agents changed teams in 2006.

The addition this year of another level of compensation -- with the league adding a second-round tier -- will give some teams pause as they consider signing any of the players tendered at that level. Twenty-three of the 94 restricted free agents who received qualifying offers, in fact, received the second-round level.

the Patriots also reportedly were going to offer Welker 7 years/$38.5 mil including a poison pill to ensure that Miami wouldn't match. if Miami didn't match, NE gives up a 2nd rounder.

instead, the Patriots give up an extra throwaway 7th round pick and sign Welker to a 5 year/$18.5 mil deal. if the entire contract plays out, the Patriots save themselves $20 mil.

do you think saving $20 mil. is worth a 7th round pick to the Patriots?

The Patriots also reportedly were going to offer Welker 7 years/$38.5 mil including a poison pill to ensure that Miami wouldn't match. if Miami didn't match, NE gives up a 2nd rounder.

Instead, the Patriots give up an extra throwaway 7th round pick and sign Welker to a 5 year/$18.5 mil deal. if the entire contract plays out, the Patriots save themselves $20 mil.

Do you think saving $20 mil. is worth a 7th round pick to the Patriots?

I need to change the header of this topic now....Belicheck again gets the best of another NFL GM.

A 7th that was almost irrelevent. Granted Ramius, they should have tendered higher but if you have 4 or 5 RFA's , it could cost an additional $4-5 more mil out of your cap to protect them. It's probably why they added that mid tender. But with this new raiding technique, it will definitely cost teams more to keep their RFA players. I guess to be successful, you better be creative, and ruthless doesn't hurt either.

Maybe Pioli can take a break from the Patriots box next season and return kicks for the Pats in their two Fin games. That'll allow the Fins to extract some sweet revenge on his dirty dealing using the dreaded poison pill.

for a low 2nd rounder - he's probably worth it, especially siince they already have two first rounders. He was the Dolphins best receiver and made me nervous every time he had the ball in his hands. Belichick sees a guy that fits his offensive system perfectly. I'm not happy about this at all.

the Patriots also reportedly were going to offer Welker 7 years/$38.5 mil including a poison pill to ensure that Miami wouldn't match. if Miami didn't match, NE gives up a 2nd rounder.

instead, the Patriots give up an extra throwaway 7th round pick and sign Welker to a 5 year/$18.5 mil deal. if the entire contract plays out, the Patriots save themselves $20 mil.

do you think saving $20 mil. is worth a 7th round pick to the Patriots?

That's not true at all. The poison pill is designed so one team would have to pay it but the other team wouldn't. Like NE would put in the contract (which I think they actually did and it has been reported to have been) that Welker gets 20 million if he plays 5 games in the state of Florida. So the Pats are never going to have to pay that and the Fins would have if they matched the contract. So the Pats are not saving 20 mil, they never intended to, or even intended the Fins to, they just did it to steal him so the Fins couldn't retain him.

If Welker is worth a 2 and a 4, then McGahee has to be worth a 2 and a 5 minimum.

A 7th that was almost irrelevent. Granted Ramius, they should have tendered higher but if you have 4 or 5 RFA's , it could cost an additional $4-5 more mil out of your cap to protect them. It's probably why they added that mid tender. But with this new raiding technique, it will definitely cost teams more to keep their RFA players. I guess to be successful, you better be creative, and ruthless doesn't hurt either.

Not necessarily. The FA tenders for thsi season were this (with compensation):

850K (round drafted)

1.3M (2nd rounder)

1.85 (1st rounder)

2.35 (1st + 3rd rounder)

For another 500K, they could have protected and kept welker. Even with 4 RFA's its only $2 million more to guarantee you keep them.