Crowell at MLB?

Look at his Bio- 2005: Inactive vs. Hou. (9/11). … Saw first action at linebacker and posted six tackles after filling in for an injured London Fletcher at TB. He is our MLB, who will attack. read between the lines. Marv is the man.

He can play MLB, and we have Ellison and maybe TKO playing OLB, then we don't need a MLB in the draft. I think we got what u talking about Willis for one more year, so corner or depth will be or pick.

Yeah I think this gives us options to see what we can get at 12. Instead of drafting for just need, we can draft for the best player available on the defensive side of the ball

Crowell was drafted as a MLB and played there in college if my memory serves me correctly. I have no problems moving him back inside and picking up someone else on theoutside, as long as he can play mike in the cover 2

And it probably means that OLB is the bigger position of need that can be filled either va free agency (Cato June) -- or in the draft. You can usually find a decent OLB that can start right away in the 2nd or 3rd round.

This also opens us up to look at DT and CB in the first round, or trade down to get more picks

Crowell was drafted as a MLB and played there in college if my memory serves me correctly. I have no problems moving him back inside and picking up someone else on theoutside, as long as he can play mike in the cover 2

correcto

He can play MLB, and we have Ellison and maybe TKO playing OLB, then we don't need a MLB in the draft. I think we got what u talking about Willis for one more year, so corner or depth will be or pick.

Let me ask this question again.

What makes people think that Ellison is a long term starting caliber LB? Sure he got some playing time last year which nobody really expected given where he was drafted, but has he really shown on the field that he can be a starter on a team with playoff ambitions?

I always expected Crowell to move to middle linebacker when this played out.....

I am concerned that Ellison is not big enough to hold up at outside backer....but he sure did play well last year.

I think Ellison and Wire will share time at the other outside linebacker position. They just have to be quick to the ball and be able to play some coverage. Not to big, not to small! I think Ellison will grow in the offseason size wise, and playing time wise.

I love Crowell at MLB, although I think we clearly need to add somebody whether a day one pick or June.

But I think having Ellison / Crowell / TKO penciled in as the linebackers and Youboty / McGee at corner and Triplett / McCargo / Kyle at DT does give us the option to decide on the best players and the best ways to upgrade this team.

I think we get better faster if we can sign June and not use #12 on Willis, so that's my early favorite scenario.

I still think the Bills are lacking depth at MLB as last year I think our plan was that if Fletch got hurt or needed a blow during a game you then went to Crowell or in a pinch since Crowell went on IR you then went with DiGregorio. I do not see DiGregorio as our definite plan B particularly since Crowell though 100% according to the scuttlebutt is coming back from injury. I think we still look for some tier 2 or vet MLB as a back-up.

Agreed that we still need depth, and we will add more LBs.

But I think right now I expect Crowell to outperform London at MLB this year. Maybe just a hunch, maybe not close to right, but I am not concerned about MLB if Crowell plays there. I think Spikes 2007 will be better than Spikes 2006, and I really hope to keep him. So Ellison and new guys have to pick up the slack for Crowell's old spot, and provide depth.

I always expected Crowell to move to middle linebacker when this played out.....

I am concerned that Ellison is not big enough to hold up at outside backer....but he sure did play well last year.

Ellison is the same size as Cato June, who was also a 6th round pick at one time. He is big enough and with a 36 on the Wonderlic, smart enough to play. Put Amobi Okoyte in front of him and watch him prosper.

From BB.com:

Crowell talking about MLB:

"I've played the 'mike' (middle linebacker) before so if that's what they call on me to do then that's what I'm going to do," said Crowell. "I'm a team guy. I just want to be on the field. I know if I'm on the field I can make the plays. I can adjust to the mental side of the game to play any position. The way I see it I just want to be on the field. I don't care where it's at as long as I'm on the field first, second or third down."

Also I found this part to be kinda propehtic:

"It's time now for me to become a leader on this defense and begin to help the younger guys and have guys look to me for leadership," said Crowell. "I think that's the next step that has to be taken in my game. I've been tutored by some pretty good players in Fletcher and Spikes and I think it's time for me to break away and become a leader like those guys were. When I get back we'll pretty much see the changes of who is going to be back with us and who will not, and I'll approach it from that angle. The opportunity has been given to me and I'm going into this offseason with that on my mind."

Hmm. This is an article from the very end of the season. Make we wonder if LF-B was as good as gone for much longer than we realized. It also makes me wonder if the fact that Fletcher, and maybe even Spikes, is on their way out has been common knowledge in the Bills locker room since at least the date of this article(4 Jan 2007).

Link for the article

So, if CB isn't an important enough position in the cover 2 to give Nate a huge contract why on earth would it be an important enough position to use the #1 pick on? I think there's a chance the Bills do it, but it still makes no sense to me. This team needs to get better in the front 7 of the D and hopefully draft picks are used to that end.

As for Crowell at MLB, who knows if that's really their intention but no matter what the Bills need help badly at the LB position. Ellison, Crowell & a non 100% Spikes is not a good LB corps. Crowell was actually a little disapointing last year Imo. He was frequently out of position and, much like London, couldn't get away from blocks once they got the hands on him. Don't get me wrong, he's not a bad LB but if he's out best LB going into the season we're in trouble.

I think Ellison and Wire will share time at the other outside linebacker position. They just have to be quick to the ball and be able to play some coverage. Not to big, not to small! I think Ellison will grow in the offseason size wise, and playing time wise.

And the Bills can still shore up the position by drafting an OLB in the middle rounds of the draft.