oh man.. is CB our biggest need on D now?

with only 3 CBs on the roster, those being McGee-Greer-Youboty, isnt CB our biggest need? we already have a bunch of LBs and DLinemen...

we are hurting at the CB position right now.

I'm not sure I'd say that. I think too many people are cutting Youbouty short. They drafted him last year for a reason. Just because we, as fans, see him as a big unkown (and therefore tend to discount him); I'm not sure the coaches see him that way. I guess time will tell and I may eventually change my mind here.

Although I think CB is an area of interest, I would rate our biggest need right now as LB.

I know many think DL and I could make a strong arguement for that as well. I think the braintrust see Triplet, McCargo, and Williams and say we have something there. Not that it can't use some more talent mind you. But, in comparison to LB (especially if TKO is on his way out) I'd say the DL is marginally better.

Now, if Willis is traded; I might change my mind and call RB our biggest need. I mean who do we have after Willis? A whole lotta nothin.

ok, we have 7 LBS on the team.

which one of them plays Dime, since we only have 3 CBs right now?

Yeah, I see your point. I wasn't thinking about that. I was thinking more just in terms of talent. Not so much numbers. I'm still hoping we sign K. Thomas back as well. So that would help a little with numbers as well.

Yeah, I see your point. I wasn't thinking about that. I was thinking more just in terms of talent. Not so much numbers. I'm still hoping we sign K. Thomas back as well. So that would help a little with numbers as well.

i agree with you on talent-wise, but we NEED to sign Thomas back. or else we almost have to go CB early and late in the draft.

i agree with you on talent-wise, but we NEED to sign Thomas back. or else we almost have to go CB early and late in the draft.

Very much agree with that statement. It's not like he sucked either. I wonder why he's not re-signed already? Perhaps he thinks he can take advantage of the free money as well? I can easily see us getting a later round CB, but if Thomas or not FA signing comes in, it could be much higher in the draft than I've been thinking.

with only 3 CBs on the roster, those being McGee-Greer-Youboty, isnt CB our biggest need? we already have a bunch of LBs and DLinemen...

DT first need by far. CB #2.

DT first need by far. CB #2.

i dont know about "by far". i thought the bigger needs were DT and LB too. but right now, we have McCargo coming back and at least enough players IN NUMBER to start at DT.

i, myself, cant even argue with the fact that we only have 3 CBs...

so, what do we do?

i dont know about "by far". i thought the bigger needs were DT and LB too. but right now, we have McCargo coming back and at least enough players IN NUMBER to start at DT.

i, myself, cant even argue with the fact that we only have 3 CBs...

so, what do we do?

Put it this way:

If we had a choice of a great DT or a great CB, I would take the DT.

If we had a choice of a good DT or a good CB, I would take the DT.

If we had a choice of a fair DT or a fair CB, I would take the DT.

Put it this way:

So you're saying we need a LB, right? :thumbsup:

Put it this way:

alright, fair enough...

but then in week 10, who do we blame for having gone from the 7th ranked passing defense to the 28th ranked?

the bills still need to add talent to all three levels of defense. that being said, Marv and co. must have confidence in Mccargo and youboty as they drafted them. though they will need to draft a CB this year, i see MLB as a much bigger need. whether it's good or bad, i think our two starting corners are probably already on this roster.

alright, fair enough...

but then in week 10, who do we blame for having gone from the 7th ranked passing defense to the 28th ranked?

The new DT. :thumbsup:

The biggest problem this team had last year was stopping the run up the middle. We need another DT besides adding McCargo. Williams is a nice role/rotational player and #4 DT right now. You can get away with marginal DBs if you can stop the run on first and second a lot easier than you can get away with marginal DTs if you can stop the pass with a good DB. Nate was our best player last year on defense but we still couldn't stop a team when we needed to. We will miss him a lot in pass defense but if we can stop the run, we will have a much, much better chance to win, especially late in the game. The problem is, there aren't any great DTs available in FA. And there may not be any good ones, although there are a couple pretty decent ones. There are a few good DTs with great potential in the draft.

please understand, im just playing devil's advocate here for the CB position. personally id rather us go for a DT or LB early in the draft than have to spend it on a CB. but...

given the starting line up of Ellison-Crowell-Spikes and McGee-Greer or McGee-Youboty (with only 1 backup CB), i think the CBs need an upgrading first or at least an additional CB needs to be brought in before LB is addressed.

alright, fair enough...

do like NE and play your extra WR as a CB.

Startign caliber LB is the biggest need. they need 2.

Without quality LBs, you won't need CBs because teams will just run the ball at will- like last year.

The new DT. :thumbsup:

The biggest problem this team had last year was stopping the run up the middle. We need another DT besides adding McCargo. Williams is a nice role/rotational player and #4 DT right now. You can get away with marginal DBs if you can stop the run on first and second a lot easier than you can get away with marginal DTs if you can stop the pass with a good DB. Nate was our best player last year on defense but we still couldn't stop a team when we needed to. We will miss him a lot in pass defense but if we can stop the run, we will have a much, much better chance to win, especially late in the game. The problem is, there aren't any great DTs available in FA. And there may not be any good ones, although there are a couple pretty decent ones. There are a few good DTs with great potential in the draft.

Okoye is the number 1 priority but he will be gone at #12- Willis becomes the likely pick.

Okoye is the number 1 priority but he will be gone at #12- Willis becomes the likely pick.

I like Willis, although I think that it's impossible to say that Okoye is not going to be there. I do think, however, if we draft Willis, and we do nothing to significantly upgrade the DT position in FA or the first day of the draft, we have very little chance of even being as lousy as we were last year. A lot can happen though. They could cut Spikes and sign someone good. It's possible Okoye or even Branch will be there. I happen to think one of them will be. It's possible that TKO's achilles is better. What I don't think can happen is our defense stopping the run unless we upgrade the DT position and replace Anderson with someone that can hold his ground and/or attack.

Right now, the defense itself is a wreck.

There were basically 3 playmakers on this defense last year. Clements, Fletcher and Schobel. Only one left. That ain't much.

However, the biggest need on the defense remains a stud DT. Clements is gone, so Perry Fewell's version of the left-wing lock is OVER. They are MARRIED to the cover-2. A stud DT in the mold of Tommie Harris or a young Warren Sapp is a crying need. Pass rush drives the cover-2. The most critical of which is pass rush up the middle, which forces the QB to get rid of the ball quickly. The next biggest need is a run stopping DT, which was their only true NEED on defense as recently as a few days ago. Then MLB, then CB. It's really difficult to see how they will fill these holes. Youboty and McCargo? Maybe, but seeing is believing and they've shown nothing.

On paper, this is now the worst defense in the AFC, if not the NFL. No difference makers. Devoid of depth. This team is going to need one HELL of an offense and right now that offense has needs to. Like a new feature running back, a #2 receiver and IMO, a pass catching TE. This team is worse now than it was at the end of last season. JP is going to have to be Manning-like.