Draft Needs post Dockery/Walker

Hello Bills Fans

I run a draft website (drafttek.com).

Prior to today. we had the Bills with the following positional priorities (defintions below):

QB- 9

RB- 5

WR- 5

OT - 4

OG - 3

TE - 4

OC - 4

FB - 6

DT - 2

DE - 9

ILB - 2

OLB - 6

SS - 9

FS - 9

CB - 3

PK - 9

Given todays OL signings, I would tend to move OT up to a P6 and OG perhaps to a P4 (they still need help IMO). Assuming that OL and OG are now de-prioritized with respect to the draft, what positions do you see as getting additional draft focus?? Other than the obvious ILB, DT and CB.

With all the noise about McGahee and TKO, I suspect that perhaps RB or OLB should getting more focus. What about TE???

Would appreciate opinions before I change the team matrix . . .

Warren@drafttek.com

www.drafttek.com

Priority Code Definitions

1 Absolute Need Highest Priority will reach - only 1 per team

2 High Priority in need of Starter will reach

3 High Priority in need of Starter will not reach

4 General need for depth will select if exceptional value all rounds

5 General Need for Depth - Need at least 1 prioritize in round 4 if not fulfilled by then - converts to Pri 2 in round

6 Operational only in lower rounds (rd 5 -7): typically K, P, FB and second helping of positions with multiple needs

9 Will not draft - absolutely no need

I think we ABSOLUTELY need to draft ILB. Willis should be there (and given todays developments, I think he is the pick) and I think that Okoye will be gone. I also think we will take a CB and RB on the first day. Hopefully someone like Michael Bush or Lorenzo Booker will still be there in the second. If not, then you target your highest rated DT or CB.

I think that's sound. Walker, Pennington, and Butler will compete for RT. I think we would prefer a first day OG to start and have Whittle be a backup.

You do realize Walker just got $5 mil a year today, right? I don't think he will really be competing with a couple of late-round second-year guys.

First of all, I love DraftTek.

I've been keeping the TSW folks informed when you update the site.

I'm thinking

QB- 9

RB- 5 moves to 3, whispers of Willis McGahee trade and A-Train on the trading block

WR- 5

OT - 4

OG - 3

TE - 4

OC - 4

FB - 6 moves to 5 at least (no Daimon Shelton and Levy's commitment to the run, whispers of Willis McGahee trade

DT - 2

DE - 9

ILB - 2 stays, as Crowell may move inside

OLB - 6 moves to 3 with Spikes trade rumors and move of Crowell leaves Ellison as a starter

SS - 9

FS - 9

CB - 3 moves to 2 or 1 with Nate Clements a 49'er

PK - 9

Without all the codes, at this point right now (McGahee and Spikes still on the team), I think Marv's sights will be set on CB, ILB, OLB, RB, and WR...in that order. (not draft order, just order of importance)

Outside of late round draft picks or cheap/depth related FA's, I think we are done with OL, I think the current group of DT's are going to get another year to prove themselves, Royal will be the man at TE, and AS, Denney, Kelsey, and Hargrove will be the starting DE rotation.

CB and ILB are obvious, and I think we will be looking for OLB, RB, and WR's to groom for next year. Of course RB and OLB level of importance go up if any trades happen.

My guess is the Bills will try to get a DT in FA and a FB/RB then lay low until after the draft- I think if the Bills can find a partner they will trade down in the draft- if they could get some picks for Spikes and McGahee- I think the Bills would like to get extra 2nd, 3rd, 4th,.

I don't think the $25 million dollar man competes with two low rounders. They are both backups and Butler could compete at guard (Marv's words) until further notice, and Walker is the starter.

I don't think we can take a first day OG given our two big signings and our needs elsewhere (LB/CB/RB/FB). I wouldn't necessarily mind all that much, but I don't see it happening,

I think that's sound. Walker, Pennington, and Butler will compete for RT. I think we would prefer a first day OG to start and have Whittle be a backup.

You do realize Walker just got $5 mil a year today, right? I don't think he will really be competing with a couple of late-round second-year guys.

No, I didn't realize that at the time I posted. It's a surprising contract, and yes, he will be competing because frankly, he sucks. But he sucks with potential that hopefully will be realized.

I think Okoye is most likely at this point. With Nate gone for sure now, we just HAVE to upgrade the d-line or else QBs will pick apart our blah secondary.

No, I didn't realize that at the time I posted. It's a surprising contract, and yes, he will be competing because frankly, he sucks. But he sucks with potential that hopefully will be realized.

I think Okoye is most likely at this point. With Nate gone for sure now, we just HAVE to upgrade the d-line or else QBs will pick apart our blah secondary.

I admittedly have not watched a single play of Walker's. Are you saying this because he was with Oakland and they sucked, or because you watched Walker himself suck?

I think we ABSOLUTELY need to draft ILB. Willis should be there (and given todays developments, I think he is the pick) and I think that Okoye will be gone. I also think we will take a CB and RB on the first day. Hopefully someone like Michael Bush or Lorenzo Booker will still be there in the second. If not, then you target your highest rated DT or CB.

Ditto to everything here

Morning Bot!!

Thanks for the kind words on the site!!

It seems that contributors on this thread were reasonably in consensus on Bills Draft Needs. Thanks to everyone for the input.

I did take your advice and move FB to P5. I use P5 in an odd manner. It is a depth/value pick thru round 3, then in round 4 it converts to a P2.

Anything assigned a P5 is almost certain to get filled in the mid rounds 4 or 5.

And in my most recent simulation, I've got the Bills with Brian Leonard in R4 as a result:

#1 - Willis (ILB) Ole Miss

#2 - Hughes (CB) Cal

#3 - Pitcock (DT) OSU

#4 - Leonard (FB) Rutgers

#6 - Mike Walker (WR) Central Florida

#7 - Dallas Sartz (OLB) USC

Although I bumped RB to a P3 need, it did not fill. RBs are in short supply on my list, as such RBs picks are usually considered "reaches".

And I also have WR coded as a P5. As such, WR converts to P2 in round 4. P2 has higher priority than the P3's that haven't yet filled - OG and RB.

I'm thinking that maybe we can move the WR priority to P4 (value depth need) so that round 6 will more likely fill with an RB or OG.

What your thinking? With todays FA moves, I will most certainly be revising again for tomorrow.

-Warren@Drafttek.com

www.drafttek.com

First of all, I love DraftTek.

I've been keeping the TSW folks informed when you update the site.

I'm thinking

QB- 9

RB- 5 moves to 3, whispers of Willis McGahee trade and A-Train on the trading block

WR- 5

OT - 4

OG - 3

TE - 4

OC - 4

FB - 6 moves to 5 at least (no Daimon Shelton and Levy's commitment to the run, whispers of Willis McGahee trade

DT - 2

DE - 9

ILB - 2 stays, as Crowell may move inside

OLB - 6 moves to 3 with Spikes trade rumors and move of Crowell leaves Ellison as a starter

SS - 9

FS - 9

CB - 3 moves to 2 or 1 with Nate Clements a 49'er

PK - 9

And in my most recent simulation, I've got the Bills with Brian Leonard in R4 as a result:

#2 - Hughes (CB) Cal

#3 - Pitcock (DT) OSU

i don't know much about Walker or Sartz but I would be just plain giddy with those first four picks! I mean just plain giddy!!

Morning Bot!!

Thanks for the kind words on the site!!

It seems that contributors on this thread were reasonably in consensus on Bills Draft Needs. Thanks to everyone for the input.

I did take your advice and move FB to P5. I use P5 in an odd manner. It is a depth/value pick thru round 3, then in round 4 it converts to a P2.

Anything assigned a P5 is almost certain to get filled in the mid rounds 4 or 5.

#2 - Hughes (CB) Cal

#3 - Pitcock (DT) OSU

Although I bumped RB to a P3 need, it did not fill. RBs are in short supply on my list, as such RBs picks are usually considered "reaches".

And I also have WR coded as a P5. As such, WR converts to P2 in round 4. P2 has higher priority than the P3's that haven't yet filled - OG and RB.

I'm thinking that maybe we can move the WR priority to P4 (value depth need) so that round 6 will more likely fill with an RB or OG.

What your thinking? With todays FA moves, I will most certainly be revising again for tomorrow.

-Warren@Drafttek.com

www.drafttek.com

I think you have to take into account timing and scheme.

These two realities bring to bear that in our Cover 2 the MLB is called upon to play pass plays like a safety and run plays like a DT and diagnose plays so that he does not often take a step in on pass plays or out on run plays and even though there is a priority need for this position, can a rookie play the role adequately.

In addition, the CB in the Cover 2 is not expected consistently to be a lock down CB as he is expected to let the WR go after 10-15 yards to the Ss and MLB who are playing deep cover, This actually lessens the demands on the CB and calls into question whether you dedicate a 1st round choice to a CB.

Timing is a key because if one has to simply accept the fact a team iT not gonna make the playoffs next year then it becomes more reasonable to suffer through the learning process of suffering through a rookie as your MLB. However, if you want to win now and not sacrifice a game or two to your MLB getting fooled, then you would likely never draft an MLB starter unless he were a very special talent (I do not think that anyone even if they agree with me that Willis would settle out MLB needs in 2008 and out that he is a top 10 draft talent.

I think you are right that MLB is a primary need for this Bills team but I strongly doubt we will take the best MLB talent unless he were a top 10 player.