Guess Clements doesn't want to win

I mean come on....the niners? I guess he does not care about going to a half way decent team with any kind of shot...he just wants the money a la Edgerrin James. He went where the money was and is now playing on a dreadful team (Cards) while his former team won the SB....when will these people learn that the grass is not always greener....money is good but if you are eating dirt to get it then it is not so great...oh well B-)

Nate seems to be heading down that path if he signs with SF....

There are those who believe SF is on a fast track to success. I myself have doubts, but those opinions are out there.

And as has been stated over and over and over -- who among us can really blame a professional athlete for taking the biggest contract when one freakish play can end it all in an instant?

I mean come on....the niners? I guess he does not care about going to a half way decent team with any kind of shot...he just wants the money a la Edgerrin James. He went where the money was and is now playing on a dreadful team (Cards) while his former team won the SB....when will these people learn that the grass is not always greener....money is good but if you are eating dirt to get it then it is not so great...oh well B-)

in case you haven't noticed, the Niners almost made the playoffs last year, although in an admittedly weak NFC. they have started to put together a nice team, and figure to put themselves into contention within the next couple years.

who among us can really blame a professional athlete for taking the biggest contract when one freakish play can end it all in an instant?

See Jay McKee.

And who objects to him getting paid? Certainly not me.

When someone shows you what to you is an unbelievable amount of money and says you still get to play the game you've been playing since you were a boy, sign here.

Who isn't signing that?

You're chastising Nate for taking a big contract from a below-average team and saying he doesn't want to win? He's probably tired of all that winning he did in Buffalo.... B-)

How many times have we been 'on the cusp' in his 5 years here? Pretty much EVERY YEAR???

Different sport, different era, but the same idea:

After the 1976 season, the Cleveland Indians signed free agent pitcher Wayne Garland to a 10 year, $2.3 million dollar contract. Thirty years ago, $2.3 million was like $75 million is now.

After he signed the contract, Garland noted Cleveland's then-bad reputation throughout baseball and said, "For that kind of money, I'd play in Siberia."

Garland blew out his elbow in 1977 and had a career record of 15-29 in four years with the Tribe. The team paid him through 1986.

There are those who believe SF is on a fast track to success. I myself have doubts, but those opinions are out there.

And as has been stated over and over and over -- who among us can really blame a professional athlete for taking the biggest contract when one freakish play can end it all in an instant?

Very true---niners are about where the bills are......and YES----one accident and u r out as an athlete--tons of luck involved

I guess being from Buffalo you're used to 12% annual inflation. :(

But I'm not from Buffalo. :ph34r:

Thought you knew that already...no worries though.

Around the same time, OJ was making around $450K a year in Buffalo. What would a player of his caliber be making today at the 12% annual inflation figure? B-)

with the exception of the Titans what team that was rumored to be interested in him is better then the 9ers? the Browns, the Redskins...i dont think so

the 9ers are a team that could be on the rise in a weak NFC.....and really, is anyone surprised he went after the money?

and who is to say he wouldnt have or didnt receive the same from other teams

This is what every other team in the NFL is saying when their player signs in Buffalo... Except for the whole money part..

Taking into account the respective conferences the Bills and Niners play in, as constituted, the Niners are closer to a playoff spot than the Bills are, IMO. Put NC on the Niners and they're just that closer. They played well down the stretch last season. Much improved.