Who is the best GM in the NFL??

I don't know about the top three, but here are my bottom three:

30 Joe Gibbs Warshingtun Redderms

31 Dan Marino-act-alike Randy Muller Miami Dohlpiss

32 Rod Graves Arizona Cardinal (remember to leave the "s" off - for "savings!")

just wondering if this board had a consensus top 3 for best GM's in the League

Here are my top 3:

1. A.J. Smith (Chargers)

2. Ozzie Newsom (Ravens)

3. Tom Heckert (Eagles)

I'd replace AJ with Scott Pioli - who may not have the title but gets the job done.

Hard to put AJ in the top 3 with the fiasco he created with his coaching staff. Most of that was self-inflicted due to his ego - ala Teflon Tom too worried abouta power struggle.

I don't know about the top three, but here are my bottom three:

30 Joe Gibbs Warshingtun Redderms

31 Dan Marino-act-alike Randy Muller Miami Dohlpiss

32 Rod Graves Arizona Cardinal (remember to leave the "s" off - for "savings!")

Does Matt Millen ring a bell ?

Here are my top 3:

1. A.J. Smith (Chargers)

2. Ozzie Newsom (Ravens)

3. Tom Heckert (Eagles)

Scott Pioli

Ozzie Newsome

Tom Heckert

A.J Smith is not in that list.....The guy got to make 2 top-5 choices.

I don't understand how after the fiasco he just created by dumping Shottenheimer so late, after their replacement already signed on to coach a different teaam, and really has won nothing but a couple good seasons (and nothing in the playoffs) could be a top 3 GM.

Until he got his first SB win as a GM, I wouldn't have put Polian as a top 3 GM, and Polian is about 50x better then Smith.

My top 3 (not really in any particular order)

Patriots GM - Have to give him credit for being frugal with players every year (letting high priced guys walk if they weren't part of the core) and contending every season

Colts GM (Polian) - Every year they are competing for a spot in the SB, Finally he got the appearance and win. This also goes back to his days in Buffalo were he built 4 straight SB teams.

I really can't think of anyone that stands out after them but If I must chose one, probablly the Steelers GM

Honorable mention (and a bit of a head scratcher to some) - The Redskins GM (or should I say accounting office), eveery year they spend Millions and they still are a bad team. But every offseason they have no room against the cap and look like they are going to have to purge the roster, yet every year they somehow wind up with Cap space to sign the big names to huge deals

GM's I can't rate in the top 3 but have had competitive teams

Jerry Jones - Teams are almost always good, but is too meddlesome with the coaching and on field stuff

AJ Smith - After the fiasco with the coaching staff this offseason, and the fact that he has had the luxury of a couple of top 5 picks, its hard not to build a winner

Green Bay GM - The team seems to be in a tailspin because they keep banking on Favre coming back and working things around him. Time to start building for the future

Worst GMs

Millen - I don't know how this guy can keep his job every year, with him as GM, theres no hope for the future

Arizonas GM - No matter what they do, they just can't win

Texans GM - Its seems so crystal clear to everyone else, build a decent o-line to keep Carr off his @ss and you might have a team that is looking at the playoffs

Miami's GM - Dante over Brees? Even before getting to see the results of last season, anybody could have told them Dante wasn't that great

Cincy's GM - The team is now out of the leagues basement and a contender, but the off field issues of his players have to put him here

Honorable mention (only because he is not a GM right now) - Donahoe, as Bills fans, no explination is needed

Here are my top 3:

1. A.J. Smith (Chargers)

2. Ozzie Newsom (Ravens)

3. Tom Heckert (Eagles)

No bill polian love?

Cincy's GM - The team is now out of the leagues basement and a contender, but the off field issues of his players have to put him here

Add TEN's GM to the worst list for that one-man crime wave Pac-Man Jones, PIT for Jerry Porter's pit bulls, MIN for the boat trip, SD for their 9 individuals and their various shootings, and CHI for their exemplary citizen Tank Johnson. Throw in SEA for Ken Hamlin.

:thumbdown:

Add TEN's GM to the worst list for that one-man crime wave Pac-Man Jones, PIT for Jerry Porter's pit bulls, MIN for the boat trip, SD for their 9 individuals and their various shootings, and CHI for their exemplary citizen Tank Johnson. Throw in SEA for Ken Hamlin.

:thumbdown:

Those are the only ones I would add along with Cincy because there were multiple players (although the Minnesoa boat trip was only one incident with many players) SD has kind of gotten there players under control, where almost every week you hear about another Bengal being charged for something.

I wouldn't blame the GM for having 1-2 players get in trouble, but when half the team gets a police record for various things during a season, it will look bad on the team and GM

Those are the only ones I would add along with Cincy because there were multiple players (although the Minnesoa boat trip was only one incident with many players) SD has kind of gotten there players under control, where almost every week you hear about another Bengal being charged for something.

I wouldn't blame the GM for having 1-2 players get in trouble, but when half the team gets a police record for various things during a season, it will look bad on the team and GM

It surely does. Media eats it up. And plenty of ready customers to sniggle over that.

The B'gal's player offenses against society are largely drunk driving by young men - can you imagine a sobriety checkpoint after the crowd empties out after any NFL game? :thumbdown:

To the B'gals beyond the boozing - a dismissed gun brandishment charge and giving liquor to a minor (the precious minor there was charged with false allegation of rape, and was recently arraigned for murdering one of her Johns), one with a bag of dope, one rookie who stole a roommate's stereo, and but one alleged crime of violence - 3rd round pick DE Frostee Rucker and pending domestic violence charges dating back before he was drafted.

The entertainment biz - which the NFL certainly is - is lime-lighted for their faux pax. I'm not sure they exceed general society...

If you are going back, then Bill Walsh gets ahead of Pioli and Polian.

No way!

Polian has done it with three teams. The Bills, Panthers (as an expansion team) and the Colts. Polian and Pioli are the top of the list. Anyone else would be a step below.

I don't understand how after the fiasco he just created by dumping Shottenheimer so late, after their replacement already signed on to coach a different teaam, and really has won nothing but a couple good seasons (and nothing in the playoffs) could be a top 3 GM.

Until he got his first SB win as a GM, I wouldn't have put Polian as a top 3 GM, and Polian is about 50x better then Smith.

My top 3 (not really in any particular order)

Patriots GM - Have to give him credit for being frugal with players every year (letting high priced guys walk if they weren't part of the core) and contending every season

Colts GM (Polian) - Every year they are competing for a spot in the SB, Finally he got the appearance and win. This also goes back to his days in Buffalo were he built 4 straight SB teams.

I really can't think of anyone that stands out after them but If I must chose one, probablly the Steelers GM

Honorable mention (and a bit of a head scratcher to some) - The Redskins GM (or should I say accounting office), eveery year they spend Millions and they still are a bad team. But every offseason they have no room against the cap and look like they are going to have to purge the roster, yet every year they somehow wind up with Cap space to sign the big names to huge deals

GM's I can't rate in the top 3 but have had competitive teams

Jerry Jones - Teams are almost always good, but is too meddlesome with the coaching and on field stuff

AJ Smith - After the fiasco with the coaching staff this offseason, and the fact that he has had the luxury of a couple of top 5 picks, its hard not to build a winner

Green Bay GM - The team seems to be in a tailspin because they keep banking on Favre coming back and working things around him. Time to start building for the future

Worst GMs

Millen - I don't know how this guy can keep his job every year, with him as GM, theres no hope for the future

Arizonas GM - No matter what they do, they just can't win

Texans GM - Its seems so crystal clear to everyone else, build a decent o-line to keep Carr off his @ss and you might have a team that is looking at the playoffs

Miami's GM - Dante over Brees? Even before getting to see the results of last season, anybody could have told them Dante wasn't that great

Honorable mention (only because he is not a GM right now) - Donahoe, as Bills fans, no explination is needed

Sorry Apu! Any GM that can turn Peerless Price into a first round pick doesn't deserve to be on anyone's "Worst List" IMO.

Considering how much love there is on this board for Loseman and Evans you can't ignore the fact that they are here because of TD. For every Mike Williams type player there are three or four quality guys including Aaron Schobel. Actually all the difference makers the Bills have are a result of TD. So give the devil his due. TD's worst draft and FA signings are better than the current Admin's effort of a year ago.