B'gals release OLB Brian Simmons

Cincinnati has released Brian Simmons, OLB (plus played some MLB). He was drafted in the 1st round along with TKO in 1998.

Tendered restricted free agents were guard Stacy Andrews, cornerback Greg Brooks, linebackers Landon Johnson and Caleb Miller, punter Kyle Larson and defensive tackle Shaun Smith.

Andrews and Larson were tendered at 1.3 million and carry a 2nd round compensation requirement if signed elsewhere.

The others were tendered at 850K. I suspect that LB's Johnson and Miller - 3rd round selections in 2004 - will generate some interest.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...SPT02/302280047

Did I mention he's a great repleacement for Fletcher. Even if we don't get him, Ellison can fill Fletcher's role, I think.

Ellison at MLB would be like feeding the Christians to the Lions. I think Crowell would be better....either one needs more run-stopping DT on the roster than we currently possess.

Ellison at MLB would be like feeding the Christians to the Lions. I think Crowell would be better....either one needs more run-stopping DT on the roster than we currently possess.

that is the punishment for lies!!! How could you James Cameron!?!?!? we are all jews again...oh vay

The smart move would be to bring in Simmons for OLB and then move Crowell to Fletcher Bakers spot.....

Crowell to middle linebacker makes complete sense as he backed up Fletcher for a while before he became a starter......

Simmons, Crowell, Spikes

I'm betting Ellison will be a better player than Simmons and Spikes next year. The kid is really good.

Did I mention he's a great repleacement for Fletcher. Even if we don't get him, Ellison can fill Fletcher's role, I think.

Ellison has played pretty well at the outside positions but the guy could not play MLB on an every down basis if his life depended on it.

Simmons - a "high character" player, has always been a decent performer, although his MLB positioning has been limited - injury fill-in, or nobody else better on the squad - and then moving there last season because 2005 rookie Odell Thurman was duly disciplined by the league. It was a reasonable move. He's been a smart player who is adept at recognizing offensive sets and positioning a defense, which are assets at MLB.

He was the second of two 1st rounders in 1998 - #17 overall after Spikes at #13 overall.

His legs and range remain decent. But there has to be concern about his missing several games this season with neck injury. He was never especially injury-prone throughout his tenure, though.

Assuming good health and reasonable price, he should get consideration from several teams - Bills included.

Simmons - a "high character" player, has always been a decent performer, although his MLB positioning has been limited - injury fill-in, or nobody else better on the squad - and then moving there last season because 2005 rookie Odell Thurman was duly disciplined by the league. It was a reasonable move. He's been a smart player who is adept at recognizing offensive sets and positioning a defense, which are assets at MLB.

He was the second of two 1st rounders in 1998 - #17 overall after Spikes at #13 overall.

His legs and range remain decent. But there has to be concern about his missing several games this season with neck injury. He was never especially injury-prone throughout his tenure, though.

Assuming good health and reasonable price, he should get consideration from several teams - Bills included.

High Character. No wonder why they cut him. He did not fit in.