ESPN Rates Zubrus Trade

ChevyVanMiller

Also rate the Marty, Ty deals.

ESPN Trade Ratings

Actually they gave it a 7.5... The highest score they gave was an 8.5

• Dainius Zubrus and Timo Helbling traded from Washington to Buffalo for a first-round draft pick and center Jiri Novotny

Buffalo GM Darcy Regier resisted the trade urge a year ago and his team rewarded him with a run to the seventh game of the Eastern Conference finals. This season, decimated by injuries to key players, especially up front, Regier did some wheeling and dealing to shore up his first-place club.

In the end, he shed long-time backup netminder Martin Biron, and a couple of deals later, ended up with underappreciated forward Dainius Zubrus from Washington.

Zubrus, whose profile is hampered by playing in hockey-dead Washington, should be an almost perfect fit for Lindy Ruff's skilled, fast-moving Sabres. Zubrus has been playing on a line with Alexander Ovechkin, so he knows a little bit about skill. He's accumulated 52 points on a one-dimensional team, including 33 points in his last 37 games. If the Sabres get co-captain Chris Drury, Maxim Afinogenov and Tim Connolly, among others, back before the playoffs, Zubrus will give the team another layer of offensive talent that will make them as dangerous. If those players are slow to return, Zubrus is a nice insurance policy against an early playoff exit.

Impact-o-meter: 7.5 | Complete trade details

8.0 for Todd Betuzzi.....I stopped reading right there.

I think the 8 was for the potential upside if Bertuzzi comes back versus the rather small amount the Wings gave up to get him. (and almost nothing given up if he doesn't come back).

Also rate the Marty, Ty deals.

ESPN Trade Ratings

I love the trade for the Sabres.

Zubrus should be a great addition to the team and it will be fun to see him add his skills to an already potent group.

In the best of all worlds we would be able to sign him in the offseason,but if he helps us get to the Cup (and hopefully win)

the trades "grade" will only go higher.

"Bottom line: Ryan Miller better stay healthy."

Goaltending is key, and often times a hot goalie trumps all in the playoffs. Miller will be a huge part of any postseason success the Sabres have. That said, I don't think that dealing Marty suddenly puts the team on thin ice.

Biron's NHL career: 300 games, 134-115-29 record, 2.53 GAA, .909 save %

Conklin's NHL career: 71 games, 29-22-7 record, 2.60 GAA, .901 save %

Marty was well-thought of by the fans here, and was an excellent teammate. But there were plenty of grumblings about him not being 'the answer' when he took over for Hasek as the full-time starter. Typically, you could count on one weak goal a night with Marty between the pipes.

Couple that with the fact that Marty has played in the NHL for nearly a decade and has appeared in exactly 0 postseason games. A $2 million per year backup goalie is a luxury that the Sabres have enjoyed for the past two years, and it became a luxury they couldn't afford anymore. Overall, the situation was handled well by Darcy, as he got solid production out of Biron for two seasons, and then dealt him for cap space and a high draft pick.

Goaltending is key, and often times a hot goalie trumps all in the playoffs. Miller will be a huge part of any postseason success the Sabres have. That said, I don't think that dealing Marty suddenly puts the team on thin ice.

Marty was well-thought of by the fans here, and was an excellent teammate. But there were plenty of grumblings about him not being 'the answer' when he took over for Hasek as the full-time starter. Typically, you could count on one weak goal a night with Marty between the pipes.

Couple that with the fact that Marty has played in the NHL for nearly a decade and has appeared in exactly 0 postseason games. A $2 million per year backup goalie is a luxury that the Sabres have enjoyed for the past two years, and it became a luxury they couldn't afford anymore. Overall, the situation was handled well by Darcy, as he got solid production out of Biron for two seasons, and then dealt him for cap space and a high draft pick.

Well said!

Yes. Just like Broduer every year the Devils have won cups.

The line between failure and success is closer in NJ beerme1... The style they play and lack of scoring production lends to Broduer's play being tantamount to the Dev's success...

I know scoring goes down in the playoffs... But, IMO... BFLO may be able to get by with a less then stellar goalie AT TIMES???

While I don't expect to win a Cup with any other goalie then Miller to say the drop off from Marty to Conklin might not be as bad as the article is indicating as let's really look at the numbers this year as well:

2006-07 Season Comparison

Player Team GP GS W L T GA GAA SV SPCT SO PIM MIN

Martin Biron PHI 19 18 12 4 0 54 3.04 479 .899 0 25 1066

Ty Conklin BUF 11 6 2 3 0 27 3.30 183 .871 0 0 491

Yes, Conklin's numbers are worse then Marty's but in looking at Columbus' other goalies compared to Ryan Miller may be all things considered it has more to due to the surrounding casts then the goalie alone.
2006-07 Season Comparison

Player Team GP GS W L T GA GAA SV SPCT SO PIM MIN

Ryan Miller BUF 47 45 30 12 0 123 2.66 1299 .914 1 2 2776

Pascal Leclaire CLB 24 23 6 15 0 65 2.97 564 .897 1 2 1315

Fredrik Norrena CLB 39 35 16 15 0 100 2.97 907 .901 3 6 2022

As there seems to be an overall goals against average around .29 higher for Columbus goalies and a lower save percentage then those in Buffalo. Not to mention think it's safe to assume that the Sabres offense is better then the Blue Jackets which means we can afford to have a poorer GAA.

While I don't expect to win a Cup with any other goalie then Miller to say the drop off from Marty to Conklin might not be as bad as the article is indicating as let's really look at the numbers this year as well:

Yes, Conklin's numbers are worse then Marty's but in looking at Columbus' other goalies compared to Ryan Miller may be all things considered it has more to due to the surrounding casts then the goalie alone.

As there seems to be an overall goals against average around .29 higher for Columbus goalies and a lower save percentage then those in Buffalo. Not to mention think it's safe to assume that the Sabres offense is better then the Blue Jackets which means we can afford to have a poorer GAA.

And the style of play the Sabres play lends to hanging the goalie out to dry more of the time... How many shorties did BFLO give up too?

I think it's safe to say that if the unthinkable happened and Miller was injured, Lindy is smart enough to tinker his system to make sure all five skaters are responsible in their own end. Conklin filling in on a Tuesday night in Boston during the regular season, I don't think they change anything...But if he had to play in the playoffs (gasp!) I'm sure Lindy makes some adjustments.

Miller has provided Buffalo the luxury of allowing the team to fly up ice and play a dynamic style. It has shown in his stats. He is not really among the league leaders in any category, except wins. That is a function of the Sabres leaving him hanging in some tough situations occasionally. Buffalo didn't change their style with Biron in net, and for the most part, he played well enough for that to work.

If Buffalo played the dry, responsible, "new NHL trap" that the Devils play, I have no doubt that Miller's stats would compare to Brodeur's. Thankfully, Lindy does not play that way. I'll be the first to admit that Miller has, at times, benefited from playing for the league's highest scoring team (see Game 1 in the Ottawa series last year) but he has also more than carried his share of the load when the forwards weren't hitting the net (see Game 2 in the Ottawa series last year.)

I think it's safe to say that if the unthinkable happened and Miller was injured, Lindy is smart enough to tinker his system to make sure all five skaters are responsible in their own end.

And this is true. We have watched Lindy coach his team to the style that it needs to be based on personel in the past and present.

No worries. See the last line in my sig.