How Orwellian Are the Brits Becoming?

According to the radio, they can now be "convicted" if their pets are obese. Nice to know they have so little crime they can tie up the legal system (and those wicked cool wigs) with Pet Court. "I just can't get Sparky off his ass to exercise."

BTW, they have no such laws on the books for CHILDREN.

So civilized. More government please.

According to the radio, they can now be "convicted" if their pets are obese. Nice to know they have so little crime they can tie up the legal system (and those wicked cool wigs) with Pet Court. "I just can't get Sparky off his ass to exercise."

Is this a new law or some old, obscure statute?

you have to laugh at us good old Brits. There was a program about the kid on TV last night, not heard the dog one before. You got a link?

As for the TV licence thing its not as clever as people think :lol:

I don't. It was a CNN Radio blurb on one of the local radio shows that uses them for their breaks. I was listening to Bob & Tom when it came on. That's pretty much verbatim what was said - and the story was about the 200lb 8 year old and his retarded family.

A friend is getting a springer from there in the summer. He's none too happy that it is now a crime to dock tails. Since the thing has a hairy tail and goes into the brush, etc.. to do it's job, they are normally docked. Yet England has now decided it is inhumane to dock any dogs tails. Yeah much better to have the ratters get it used as a bite point against them, or the hair flushers to get something else hung up.

Illegal to crop tails? The argument is that it will handicap poor puppies in their inter-social skills.

How would you like to be a puppy that can't show the full range of doggy emotion. Seriously, it you

really want to mess up a puppies long term cognitive development and grammatical syntax - crop the tail.

I am also worried that by muzzling puppies we are limiting their ability not only to crotch sniff, but it may also handicap the inter-canine ass sniff which every puppy should have a right to.

Every puppy should have the right to sniff some good dog ass.

It is also time we ban cat juggling.

Why do they use the abbreviation "Orwellian" when talking about anything fat? Why not just spell it out? Orwellian is not that much shorter anyway.

Give 'em time.

They even ride around and can detect if you haven't paid your yearly fee for your TV!

Ya, really stupid that the Brits do this???

Not that it doesn't happen or has happened here...

They used to ride around in states like Indiana and see if you have luxury items to tax... That is the tax collectors... Or here in Illinos with your parking/village stickers on your cars...

Then there is the line...

But when the taxman comes to the door,

Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yes...

Illegal to crop tails? The argument is that it will handicap poor puppies in their inter-social skills.

How would you like to be a puppy that can't show the full range of doggy emotion. Seriously, it you

really want to mess up a puppies long term cognitive development and grammatical syntax - crop the tail.

I am also worried that by muzzling puppies we are limiting their ability not only to crotch sniff, but it may also handicap the inter-canine ass sniff which every puppy should have a right to.

Every puppy should have the right to sniff some good dog ass.

It is also time we ban cat juggling.

Don't they ban fox hunts now in jolly old England too?... I never realized what an urban problem those little beasties are... :thumbdown:

Ya, really stupid that the Brits do this???

Not that it doesn't happen or has happened here...

They used to ride around in states like Indiana and see if you have luxury items to tax... That is the tax collectors... Or here in Illinos with your parking/village stickers on your cars...

Then there is the line...

But when the taxman comes to the door,

Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yes...

yes you need a licence to own and recieve TV pictures. The licence fee goes to pay for the BBC and keeps the BBC quality.

They keep a centralised database of who has licence, who doesn't renew it, its also law the retailers when they sell a TV they inform the authorities.

Before TV you use to have to have a licence for your radio.

Don't they ban fox hunts now in jolly old England too?... I never realized what an urban problem those little beasties are... :thumbdown:

it was banned a couple of years ago though the Conservative Party have promised to repeal it if they win power.

It was seen as a cruel sport, hunting a fox with a pack of dogs, the supporters of hunting claimed it was pest control. Well I think a shotgun does the trick a lot quicker.

Rural communities weren't enamoured by the law at all, though the majority of the population supported it. became a real rural v urban lifestyle batte.

yes you need a licence to own and recieve TV pictures. The licence fee goes to pay for the BBC and keeps the BBC quality.

They keep a centralised database of who has licence, who doesn't renew it, its also law the retailers when they sell a TV they inform the authorities.

Do they use the abbreviation 'Orwellian' when describing the kid and pet fat programs too? I'm wondering if it is just in America that we use that kind of slang. It seems to me that the Brits would spell it out.

Do they use the abbreviation 'Orwellian' when describing the kid and pet fat programs too? I'm wondering if it is just in America that we use that kind of slang. It seems to me that the Brits would spell it out.

we use it more for "big brother" is watching - with speed cameras and CCCTV Cameras.

I hear you and now at some NFL and other sport's stadiums here in the states... You need a license to sit in the seat and watch the game!

:worthy: