FSU College Republicans offer new scholarship

Ramius

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...D=2007702210337

From the tallahassee paper, for anyone questioning the credibility of the story. It turns out its a political statement against affirmative action. The scholarship pays out $25.

“It's not about the money,” Neeld said of the scholarship. “It's about the cause. It's right that eyebrows should be raised.”

He said that people should be just as upset over any other race-specific scholarship.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The interesting part of this discussion is the fact that the thread was started with a post about the (supposedly real, but I still can't find anything on it with the exception of Ramius' post) FSU College Republicans Scholarship. The UNCF was thrown into the discussion by someone else as a supposedly racist organization whose racist policies are embraced because it represents minority on majority racism rather than the traditional majority on minority racism.

I tried to subtly show just how ludicrious that position is by linking to the two organizations web pages. But apparently there are a few people here who cannot get past the fact that the UNCF has the word Negro in it's name. Apparently in many eyes that is enough to make it a racist organization.

The number of scholarships awarded to white males by the UNCF is totally irrelevant to the original question. It doesnt matter if it is zero or 99.9% of all scholarships awarded. The fact of the matter is that the UNCF is an organization set up and run for the purpose of supporting a finite number of traditionally black colleges and universities. that is it's sole reason for existing. And to the best of my knowledge it does what it is designed to do.

I can't find any evidence of racial profiling in their scholarship program.

The College Republicans however are a recruitment arm of the Republican Party. A political party which supposedly has a big tent policy. You know, a party that includes Americans of all races, religions, and sexual orientations.

And they do have a racial profiling element in their scholarship requirements.

Therefore the UNCF policies are non-racist while the FSU College Republicans Policies (with regards to their supposed scholarship, only) are racist.

I can see three ways of looking at the question of race:

1. All group-based preferences are inherently wrong.

2. It's natural for people to want to help others of their own race; so group-based preferences are sometimes okay.

3. Group-based preferences are acceptable when used to help blacks, Latinos, or women, but wrong when used to help white males.

I commend that college Republican group for having the courage to point out the hypocrisy of that third view. But it's the second view which permits and encourages the existence of traditionally black colleges, as well as the United Negro College Fund. To call such institutions "racist" is just plain silly. I have no objection to organizations which exist to promote the well-being of blacks, any more than I'd object to similar organizations aimed at Asians, or Latinos, or at whites. The only time I would be concerned is if such organizations stopped being helpers to within-group members, and became insurmountable barriers to those outside the groups. If someone wants to found a college that's targeted at, say, Asians, that's fine with me. But if "schools targeted at Asians" come to utterly dominate the Ivy League, and suffocated opportunities for non-Asians, then there's a problem.

The interesting part of this discussion is the fact that the thread was started with a post about the (supposedly real, but I still can't find anything on it with the exception of Ramius' post) FSU College Republicans Scholarship. The UNCF was thrown into the discussion by someone else as a supposedly racist organization whose racist policies are embraced because it represents minority on majority racism rather than the traditional majority on minority racism.

I tried to subtly show just how ludicrious that position is by linking to the two organizations web pages. But apparently there are a few people here who cannot get past the fact that the UNCF has the word Negro in it's name. Apparently in many eyes that is enough to make it a racist organization.

The number of scholarships awarded to white males by the UNCF is totally irrelevant to the original question. It doesnt matter if it is zero or 99.9% of all scholarships awarded. The fact of the matter is that the UNCF is an organization set up and run for the purpose of supporting a finite number of traditionally black colleges and universities. that is it's sole reason for existing. And to the best of my knowledge it does what it is designed to do.

I can't find any evidence of racial profiling in their scholarship program.

The College Republicans however are a recruitment arm of the Republican Party. A political party which supposedly has a big tent policy. You know, a party that includes Americans of all races, religions, and sexual orientations.

And they do have a racial profiling element in their scholarship requirements.

Therefore the UNCF policies are non-racist while the FSU College Republicans Policies (with regards to their supposed scholarship, only) are racist.

But going back to your original point, which is what I questioned, that is relevant to the original question.

If it is 0, or more realistically a VERY small percentage (which, lacking the census data on their scholarship recipients, I will assume for sake of argument; if you have data contradicting this assumption I will gladly include it in the evaluation), then their scholarships (at least those given to students attending non-HBCU's) would appear to be open to the general public and excluding people based upon their race. This meets your definition of racist/sexist and as such is apparently wrong.

But going back to your original point, which is what I questioned, that is relevant to the original question.

If it is 0, or more realistically a VERY small percentage (which, lacking the census data on their scholarship recipients, I will assume for sake of argument; if you have data contradicting this assumption I will gladly include it in the evaluation), then their scholarships (at least those given to students attending non-HBCU's) would appear to be open to the general public and excluding people based upon their race. This meets your definition of racist/sexist and as such is apparently wrong.

The highlighted portion of your text is the key. Read the links I provided earlier, and the post you just responded to, the UNCF does not award scholarships to any colleges or universities not on their list of HBCU's. No scholarships to Harvard, Yale, FSU, etc. So as I've said all along, they do not neet the specified criteria.