What Bills fans can't wrap their minds around

billybob

What the Bills fans can't seem to wrap their minds around is that 2007 is going to be a rebuilding year- so of course it makes sense to trade Willis - cause the Bills are aimed at 2008- so don't be suprised if they cut Spikes too- the Bills are going to get younger and less expensive this year- don't expect any big free agency signings- more likely FA who are young who the Bills feel have potential- expect the Bills to move down in the draft maybe more than once-expect the Bills to be very active in signing undrafted FAs- expect the the Bills to raid other teams practice squads- expect the Bills to look closely at the June cuts esp WRs- expect the 2007 Bills to be competitive but overmatched by the elite teams.

What the Bills fans can't seem to wrap their minds around is that 2007 is going to be a rebuilding year- so of course it makes sense to trade Willis - cause the Bills are aimed at 2008- so don't be suprised if they cut Spikes too- the Bills are going to get younger and less expensive this year- don't expect any big free agency signings- more likely FA who are young who the Bills feel have potential- expect the Bills to move down in the draft maybe more than once-expect the Bills to be very active in signing undrafted FAs- expect the the Bills to raid other teams practice squads- expect the Bills to look closely at the June cuts esp WRs- expect the 2007 Bills to be competitive but overmatched by the elite teams.

Whew!

I thought this was another "The Bills are moving to Toronto!" post. :wallbash:

well if they dont re-sign any players every year is going to be rebuilding

Have to agree with you on this one. I'm not a front office insider, but it seems the direction so far (granted we haven't seen free agency or the draft yet) is to maintain what they started last season and get character types along with lower priced guys. Buffalo acquired a lot of average at best players last year in free agency to provide depth. I'll go out on a limb and predict they do the same this season, though they'll go after 4-5 players in free agency. No Dielman, no Steinbach, no Adalius Thomas.

If WM goes for a low round pick, you've got to believe they won't replace him with a Free Agent and just draft a RB. They just can't come out and say their plan to jeopardize ticket sales. It just seems that letting NC, F-B, and WM go, along with holes on the OL and DL make it hard to adequately fill every position.

The team may be perceived as going cheap and playing the pauper role, but the plan they have cannot be accomplished in 2 years with that second being a playoff year. It's early, but I'd say 8-8 or 7-9 is entirely possible again. Maybe in 2008, but we'll see.

So sad to be so right

Not ready to give you kudos for your foresight just yet..especially without seeing the next 3 or 4 months unfold. We had a quarterback take monumental steps in development last year--if he continues that type of skill acceleration, he can actually start to win games for this team like the Jags and Texans games, rather than just not lose them. Build depth on the o-line; improve the middle of the defense; get a replacement on the corner that specializes in cover 2 and we can be competitive...

If I was an NFL GM the position where I would prefer to have the most questions is at RB--they are literally a dime a dozen for average ones..and face it -- Willis was average last year....

I'm not sure Rebuilding is the correct Term because it indicates blowing up a Plan and starting over...This Plan began a Year ago...But I do agree that 2008 is the target for this regime and I think it's realistic. Plus, a few bounces go their way and I'm sure the Bills will be in the Wild Card picture in 2007 at the very least...If they can stay healthy I really believe this Team will be tough in 2007...Just a hunch though...Who really knows? B-)

I don't know what will happen to McGahee or Spikes, but they're creating more holes to fill and we simply don't have enough resources to address them all. At the very minimum, we're going to need help at

MLB (if Crowell switches over, then help at OLB, perhaps 2 if Spikes is gone)

CB (NC is gone and Buffalo cannot rely on Youboty or K. Thomas, if re-signed)

LG (even if Gandy re-signs options are required)

RG (the Whittle signing does not assure me us of much)

RT (Pennington cannot be the only option here)

RB (even if Thomas re-signs, he's not the starter. Neither is Shadulent Williams)

FB (not as important, but Shelton is gone)

DT (we're still 28th against the run last season, McCargo is still a question)

It seems like we're trying to go beyond last season and totally strip the team to the core of guts like Losman, Evans, Peters, Schobel, Tripplett, Kelsay, McGee, Whitner, Lindell, and Moorman) These are the only players, IMO who are guaranteed starters for 07.

They must know something about Spikes, or they're clearing cap room. Reports said he'd be released if not traded first. Expect the unexpected with Buffalo.

• 4 weeks later...