If Marv and / or Ralph dies, what happens?

I must admit it's a topic I nearly posted about last week. I decided against it because I felt people would find it distasteful. Ralph and Marv are two of the most influential men in Bills history, and to talk about their demise before it happens is in bad taste. I just wanted to point out that this is something some of us are concerned about. If those people are anything like me they have the utmost respect for these men but it doesn’t clear the worry. I hope because of that we can possibly discuss it. For those that still find it disrespectful my apologies. My two questions would be………..

-If Ralph passes will he leave a statement behind with his intentions for our franchise, or will it be completely up to who he wills the Bills to?

-If Marv passes do we already have his successor in house, and if not how hard will it be to find a GM with our Cap limitations?

..... I decided against it because I felt people would find it distasteful......

We are faced with after death decisions (funeral, plot, expenses,....) and are obligated to deal with it responsibly. Why should the bills be exempt?

It's not like we are wishing death upon them or some childish reaction like "Don't say "shutout" or yu'll jinx the goalie".

We are talking about two 80 yearold men. If there is no contingency plan for either of their deaths, this franchise will be in such turmoil that ........ don't even want to think about the worst!

Ralph have kids?

Assistant GM any credentials?

Head in the sand is only going to bite us in the ass. Why havn't the newspapers written about something as important as this?

So this issue has never been disscussed publicy? Does ralph have kids or a son locked up in the attic that we don't know about?

It is not a topic that a lot of people want to talk about. It would not only be a turning for the Bills but also it would be a sad moment for the city of Buffalo. Ralph is hands down one of the best owners in the game and is one of the only ones that loves the game itself anymore. His death will have a large effect on a lot of peoples lives and it is not something that people are looking forward to or wanting.

He has children, yes. But here is the problem with giving it to his kids. Let's say that just for the numbers the Bills are now worth $500 million, what is the death tax going to look like on that? The price is going to be so much that his children would not be able to keep the team in family, and would be forced to sell to the highest bidder. Then it is up to that individual as to who is the GM or if the Bills stay in Buffalo.

If anything, Ralph would have to sell the team before his death if the Bills are to stay in Buffalo. His children would not be able to foot the bill that the death tax would leave, thus making the future for the Bills, and the city of Buffalo, extremely glum.

.....If anything, Ralph would have to sell the team before his death if the Bills are to stay in Buffalo. His children would not be able to foot the bill that the death tax would leave, thus making the future for the Bills, and the city of Buffalo, extremely glum.

This is where the NFL should demand each team to have a contingency plan in case of an owners death; protect the stability of the league and the fans of the city.

Here's the worst case scenario:

The Bills become contenders in 2 years with Losman and the draft class / rookies playing beyond expectations. Ralph dies at seasons end. Ralphs kids want to sell the team because they don't want the team or can't afford the taxes. They want to sell to the highest bidder. No one will purchase the team unless they have a right to move them; NFL league won't allow it.

Kids can't sell the team & kids won't pour any more money than they have too. Team starts to regress.

Ouch!!

So this issue has never been disscussed publicy? Does ralph have kids or a son locked up in the attic that we don't know about?

no, i was running away cause i dont want to think about it. no plan has been made public. i dont think he has much of a plan. i PERSONALLY dont think he has a plan at all.

and its going to be a very traumatic time for WNY when this happens in the near future.

that being said, im outta here.

I thought I read somewhere (Buff News maybe?) not too long ago that addressed this somewhat and I believe it mentioned that ralph's wife would get the team and not incur the heavy tax that his children would. I think the article also stated that she may be getting a little more interest in the team, something she seemed to not have in the past.

Dont know if it was pure speculation, but it may be a possibility as far as the team ownership is concerned.

There is no estate tax in 2010, before it zaps back into existence the next year. So the exact timing of when Ralph (or any other wealthy person) dies is really important, in a terribly gruesome kind of way.

The solution? Ralph should fake his own death in the year 2010, and secretyl manage the team from an underground location.

Wellseeing as how Marv and Ralph are in probably better shape then atleast 50% of the posters here, It might be longer then people think

Otherwise, the Ownership goes to his family, unless he has it in his will that it goes to someone else

As for Marv, the Assistant GM, or one of the other front office guys would take over as an interm GM until the higher a new one.