Allen Wilson just secured insider reporter status

JoeF

It seems the Bills are re-defining the role of General Manager. Okay, no problem. Then again, what exactly does Marv do? We know he's not a salary cap whiz or involved with contract negotiations.

The Buffalo News article says his sole responsibility is dealing with personnel issues. But he didn't know McGahee announced to the football world through a shady magazine that Buffalo should move to Toronto. And recently he has begun to get more interested in scouting and such.

Earlier this month the front office admitted they hadn't contacted Clements and his agent. I guess they were too busy signing Kirk Chambers and Coy Wire.

The article continues, "Levy has gotten more involved in scouting. He likes studying college prospects and being a part of the evaluation process." If he's just getting on board with scouting, who made the call last year on those free agents and draft picks we signed?

I wish people would stop giving this organization a free pass just because Marv is on board. Marv does not control the money supply. Let's start thinking realistically. The owner has laid down the gauntlet, financially speaking of course. Marv will need to work miracles with our limited budget to make this team even respectable. We're not going to amortize our future, but ask yourself what is the future? The General Manager will need super-human efforts out of his coaching and scouting departments to come up with talent that can fill the positions we're going to lose each season to free agency. I'd like to give Marv the benefit of the doubt, but the PC left more questions in my mind. Come March 2, answers (i.e. players) will begin to be supplied. And those answers won't be what Bills fans want.

Pessimistic assessment, not really. But realistic, yes.

Gee Chuck Pollock's was written after the press conference and its also neutral to positive...

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=...62745&rfi=6

Wow....Chuck Pollock

:rolleyes:

Because when I need my NFL coverage I head straight to the Oleans Times Herald :devil:

What? No links to the Amherst Bee or the West Side Times? I hear the Penny Saver is dedicating an entire

issue to the fine job Marv is doing.

You guys are too funny some times.

A good article as it provides information which I cannot know for sure as a "mere" fan as it provides a glimpse at the perspective taken by folks who are really on the inside. This perspective which seems to view the feelings within OBD as far more relaxed and like a breath of fresh air under Marv compared to life under TD is great to hear.

This perspective is embodied in the quotes from Coy Wire and I really hope everyone feels this way for the most part and not just the guys who recently got millions of bucks shoveled their way (or probably hundreds of thousands of bucks in Wire's case).

The thing which interested me most was where Allen Wilson wrote:

Levy is not your typical NFL GM. He's not that familiar with the salary cap. He has no involvement in contract negotiations, and prefers it that way.

His sole responsibility is dealing with personnel issues. He talks daily with the coaches, scouts, Assistant GM Tom Modrak and pro personnel director John Guy about players on the team and those they are interested in acquiring.

Levy actually sounds like one the TSW faithful in that he is offering comments about this move or that move.

The difference though is that when he says "Just get 'er done" about something, while us folks on TSW are really powerless for the most part, if whatever happens does not work out he can fire the guy in charge of the decision.

Because when I need my NFL coverage I head straight to the Oleans Times Herald :devil:

What? No links to the Amherst Bee or the West Side Times? I hear the Penny Saver is dedicating an entire

Chuck Pollock has been covering the Bills for years and has been a long-time correspondent for Pro Football Weekly, as well. But hey, why let facts get in the way of your bias? :rolleyes:

Because when I need my NFL coverage I head straight to the Oleans Times Herald :rolleyes:

Chuck Pollock often gets picked up nationally....Pro Football Weekly beat reporter for the Bills, AP often uses his Bills stuff. He was the Bills Sporting News beat writer in the past. He is probably the best reporter covering the Bills right now. He has been recognized several times by AP for his reporting.

Once again you fail to research before you post.

Thanks for making it so easy to prove that you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Alaska Darin was so spot on with his post about you constantly jamming your legs down your gullet...its fun to watch -- cause you are so damn easy to bait..

Chuck Pollock often gets picked up nationally....Pro Football Weekly beat reporter for the Bills, AP often uses his Bills stuff. He was the Bills Sporting News beat writer in the past. He is probably the best reporter covering the Bills right now. He has been recognized several times by AP for his reporting.

Once again you fail to research before you post.

Thanks for making it so easy to prove that you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

And it just so happens his views match with yours? How does one become a beat writer? It wouldn't be writing fluff pieces would it?

You don't see many beat writers calling out the franchises they cover do you?

Sorry! I prefer a much more honest style of journalism. Not a hack trying make sure he doesn't lose his credentials. Try reading Jerry Sullivan once and a while. Get an honest view of what's going on at One Bills Drive. Sullivan doesn't care if the Bills like him or not.

By the way. What does good old Chuck feel about the whole Tom Brady baby thing you care so much about. :rolleyes:

And it just so happens his views match with yours? How does one become a beat writer? It wouldn't be writing fluff pieces would it?

Sorry! I prefer a much more honest style of journalism. Not a hack trying make sure he doesn't lose his credentials. Try reading Jerry Sullivan once and a while. Get an honest view of what's going on at One Bills Drive. Sullivan doesn't care if the Bills like him or not.

Yawn--my work today is done here -- you tried to make a point that Chuck Pollock was a two bit writer for a two bit paper and again put your moron on display.

This has nothing to do with the Bills--it has to do with you posting sh-- you know nothing about and not taking the time to educate yourself. What makes you think your opinions about Marv or the Bills are any more enlightened?

Have a great life...Does the ignore feature still exist?

Yawn--my work today is done here -- you tried to make a point that Chuck Pollock was a two bit writer for a two bit paper and again put your moron on display.

This has nothing to do with the Bills--it has to do with you posting sh-- you know nothing about and not taking the time to educate yourself. What makes you think your opinions about Marv or the Bills are any more enlightened?

Have a great life...Does the ignore feature still exist?

Unlike some I don't. Never have.

It is those like yourself who stand on that pedestal.

Anyway,

Speaking of enlightenment. Any more news on the Tom Brady baby situation? Now there's some enlightenment for ya.

Conner Bryne does a good job outlining the view that the Bills will not be competitive due to the cash to the cap strategy and that Marv has little touch with NFL reality.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/article...ence190207.html

He actually uses factual statements from Marv's press conference and tries to interpret them. Interesting concept.

Try reading Jerry Sullivan once and a while. Get an honest view of what's going on at One Bills Drive. Sullivan doesn't care if the Bills like him or not.

:rolleyes: jerry sullivan

hes a grumpy old 2 bit hack who trashes the bills every opportunity he can.

No, it wouldn't. I suggest you try a remedial course in Journalism 101.

By the way. What does good old Chuck feel about the whole Tom Brady baby thing you care so much about. :rolleyes:

Many years ago, as a brash newcomer to the sportswriting trade, I spent a year covering the old Broome Dusters of the AHL. Early in the season, I wrote a story in which I referred to the Dusters scoring the game-winning goal in the third quarter.

The next day, I walked into the dressing room, still unaware of the gaffe. Paul Stewart, a veteran tough guy who would later become a high-profile NHL referee, called me over to the bathroom area, where he was in the midst of shaving.

"Kid, we don't have quarters in hockey; we play periods," Stewart said, looking straight into the mirror. Then he turned, his face covered in shaving cream, and pointed at me with his razor. "Don't pronounce your ignorance."

That was my last year covering a hockey beat, but I learned my lesson. Ever since that day, I've been careful to mask my limited understanding of the sport. I moved on to basketball, a sport I knew well, and column-writing, a job that requires no real expertise but a superficial insight that I call "the appearance of knowledge."

If Sully is your role model, I can understand why you so easily dismiss the opinion of someone who's actually, you know, covered the team for the last thirty years or so. Pollock writes the good and the bad... but I guess you wouldn't know that, if you rely solely on Sullivan and the News for your information. Your loss.

And unfrotunately, in the last 5 years or so, he has proven to be right more often than not.

:(

That's like a guy who hates all wars and badmouths all military action being "proven right" about the Iraq war in the last 5 years. When you hate everything, and right now things suck, I wouldn't exactly call that proven right. :lol:

No, it wouldn't. I suggest you try a remedial course in Journalism 101.

If Sully is your role model, I can understand why you so easily dismiss the opinion of someone who's actually, you know, covered the team for the last thirty years or so. Pollock writes the good and the bad... but I guess you wouldn't know that, if you rely solely on Sullivan and the News for your information. Your loss.

Pollock couldn't hold Jerry's ink cartridge.

Face it. Things have been so bad over the past 7-8 years that many of you can't face an honest opinion. You hold on to a 7-9 record like it's something to be proud of. The GM comes out and admits he doesn't know his job and many of you make excuses.

Bills fans are starting to become like Lions and Cardinal fans. You have accepted losing and make excuses for it.

I asked this on another thread and I'll ask it again here.

What happened to your heart Bills Fans.

Pollock couldn't hold Jerry's ink cartridge.

I don't know who Pollock is but I've had the "pleasure" of reading a couple of Sullivan's articles which were linked here. Suffice to say that the guy knows next to nothing about football and unless you want to appear as nothing more than a mindless sycophantic drone, you might want to consider a smarter, better-informed and less transparent hero.