SNL on 2/24 Head's Up

ajzepp

For those who don't know, this is the guy who plays Dwight Shroot on "The Office". He's a brilliant supporting actor/character, and I expect this to be a very solid show next week.

That is all.

Sorry, haven't watched it in years. i watch Mad TV. Bobby Lee is much funnier than any of them on SNL.

You may want to tune back in and give it a shot. Some of the young'ns are very talented. Andy Samberg and Bill Hader are particularly good.

agreed, those that gripe about SNL, haven't given it a chance, they are still soured on the anthony michael hall days...there has been some good stuff to come out of 30 rock at 11.30 saturday nites

You may want to tune back in and give it a shot. Some of the young'ns are very talented. Andy Samberg and Bill Hader are particularly good.

agreed, those that gripe about SNL, haven't given it a chance, they are still soured on the anthony michael hall days...there has been some good stuff to come out of 30 rock at 11.30 saturday nites

Agreed.

People have been bitching about the cast of SNL since the first one broke up at the end of the '70's!

It's almost a rite of passage for people to say "Hey these new guys suck!"

A fun book to read is- "Live From New York" written by:Tom Shales.

It's a history of SNL told through interviews with it's stars, writers and guests.

did you happen to see the skit earlier in the season about the Fox news coverage of Hurricane Katrina? They had a guy playing Geraldo, and then they had others playing people like Sharon Stone, Aaron Neville and Sean Penn. Bill Hader did such an amazing impression of Pacino that I bet the audio playback would have been damn near indistinguishable from Al himself. It was pretty awesome!

Also, this chick is from Rochester, and for whatever reason I am hugely attracted to her :rolleyes:

The cast on SNL may be ok, but the skits are generally garbage these days. I've watched SNL for most of it's history, and the writing is as bad as it's ever been.

It used to be that the first hour was good and you could count on the last 30 minutes to be so-so at best. Now, by the 3rd sketch, it's horrible. Even the music acts are terrible now, as half of them aren't even truly "live". Ashlee Simpson was just unfortunate enough to get caught, but I"m pretty sure she is closer to being the rule than the exception. (Example - AFI was on recently, and their backup vocals were a little too good, and then I noticed that even though the bass player didn't quite make it to his mic when he had to sing, his vocal part miraculously appeared.)

I'm fully in the MAD TV camp now which sucks because I have been a life long fan of SNL.

The cast on SNL may be ok, but the skits are generally garbage these days. I've watched SNL for most of it's history, and the writing is as bad as it's ever been.

It used to be that the first hour was good and you could count on the last 30 minutes to be so-so at best. Now, by the 3rd sketch, it's horrible. Even the music acts are terrible now,

I'm fully in the MAD TV camp now which sucks because I have been a life long fan of SNL.

I still enjoy the show. There are some damn funny rthings still and there are certainly a couple of cast members that stand out. Hader and Wig as has been mentioned in this thread.

They just replayed the episode with Justin Timberlake which I thought would suck and it was probably the funniest one this year. The cup of soup skit and th junk in the box thing were laugh out loud funny.

Also one that I was surised at how good it was had Ludicrous as the host. I think that was the funniest one this year.

As to the musical guests, standouts this year to me have been, Prince and Neil Young. Neil Young blew me away with his song "Last Time I saw Elvis" and those were both live sets.

I have always been in the SNL camp. I tried MAD but it never won me over for some reason. It comes across as a budget version of a comedy show.

I still enjoy the show. There are some damn funny rthings still and there are certainly a couple of cast members that stand out. Hader and Wig as has been mentioned in this thread.

They just replayed the episode with Justin Timberlake which I thought would suck and it was probably the funniest one this year. The cup of soup skit and th junk in the box thing were laugh out loud funny.

Also one that I was surised at how good it was had Ludicrous as the host. I think that was the funniest one this year.

As to the musical guests, standouts this year to me have been, Prince and Neil Young. Neil Young blew me away with his song "Last Time I saw Elvis" and those were both live sets.

I have always been in the SNL camp. I tried MAD but it never won me over for some reason. It comes across as a budget version of a comedy show.

Good call on the Ludircous show...I thought he did a great job with that. I, too, hadn't seen the Timberlake show, so I was glad to catch it this past weekend. The junk in a box skit had me rolling....funny stuff! The show may not compare to its glory days, but I still find it pretty entertaining.

How about the Barry Gibb show skit..."I'm Barry F-ng Gibbs"...funny as hell

Good call on the Ludircous show...I thought he did a great job with that. I, too, hadn't seen the Timberlake show, so I was glad to catch it this past weekend. The junk in a box skit had me rolling....funny stuff! The show may not compare to its glory days, but I still find it pretty entertaining.

How about the Barry Gibb show skit..."I'm Barry F-ng Gibbs"...funny as hell

lol, I forgot about that one....nice cameo by Jimmy Fallon there!

I think the Cast is OK, but the skits have just been lame and not well done. Occasionally they have a decent host who can carry the show and get through bad writing, but its still pretty bad. I'd say in a full season, they may have 4-5 good shows. And typically the musical acts are bad, most of the time the only ones not faking it are they actual Bands and Performers like Niel Young. Where as the "performers" like Ashley Simpson fake there way through cause they are more worried about the dancing then actually singing. It is true that nothing could compare to the Cast and writing of the original group, but they always go through a cycle of great to horrible casts. The problem is, now once a cast member becomes big, they leave to go do some crappy movie career. (Jimmy Fallon for one, even though I never thought he was great on the show)

Mad TV has a way better cast and usually has better writing. Maybe its because its not live so they can polish skits better before going to air. I thought one of the best ones on this weekends show was when Bobby Lee took Ike back to his parents place, and they reinacted Star Wars for him.

For those who don't know, this is the guy who plays Dwight Shroot on "The Office". He's a brilliant supporting actor/character, and I expect this to be a very solid show next week.

That is all.

More importantly, the musical guest is the Arcade Fire. :rolleyes:

More importantly, the musical guest is the Arcade Fire. :wallbash:

Bingo. Check this episode out if you like indie music. Arcade Fire is a really great band out of Montreal and they frequently put on a somewhat elaborate/hectic stage show.

I've always wondered who picks the musical act. The host or the show. I would like to think the host gets to request a musical performer of their choice. It's weird sometimes the music act that they have matched up with the host.

Sometimes it seems like a perfect fit that you would have expected that host to like that band and then sometimes it's like they would have Ashley Judd on and the music act would be Leonard Nimoy.

Oh and sorry about all the spelling errors in my earlier post.

And sorry about making it seem like there could have been two shows that were the funniest all year.

There could only be one.

I've always wondered who picks the musical act. The host or the show. I would like to think the host gets to request a musical performer of their choice. It's weird sometimes the music act that they have matched up with the host.

Sometimes it seems like a perfect fit that you would have expected that host to like that band and then sometimes it's like they would have Ashley Judd on and the music act would be Leonard Nimoy.

Oh and sorry about all the spelling errors in my earlier post.

And sorry about making it seem like there could have been two shows that were the funniest all year.

There could only be one.

I have a hunch that Annette Bening didn't pick Gwen Stefani featuring Akon as her musical guest on the December 9th show.

I second the attraction to her. I have no clue what it is though.

I, for one, am really looking forward to Arcade Fire. One of my favorite indie bands.

Did you see her in the "junk in a box" skit last week? She was all glam and looking fine....I think she's awesome

That is all.

Thanks AJ.

I used to be a big SNL fan...even into the Jimmy Fallon years.

I tried to like Mad TV, but except for Frank Caliendo, nothing there has really struck me as fall-down funny.

I will give SNL another try. I never thought much of Tina Fey as a head writer. One sketch I remember is the "Woomba" commercial, which (ahem) acts as a robot vacuum for the female genitalia.

I found that gross...didn't find it funny at all. My wife, the lovely and talented Kimberly, thought it was funny (though rather icky). Go figure.

Thanks AJ.

I used to be a big SNL fan...even into the Jimmy Fallon years.

I tried to like Mad TV, but except for Frank Caliendo, nothing there has really struck me as fall-down funny.

I will give SNL another try. I never thought much of Tina Fey as a head writer. One sketch I remember is the "Woomba" commercial, which (ahem) acts as a robot vacuum for the female genitalia.

I found that gross...didn't find it funny at all. My wife, the lovely and talented Kimberly, thought it was funny (though rather icky). Go figure.

I found the Fallon years a bit overrated, too.....so I know what you mean. You might enjoy some of the new guys, though.....they have kept my interest lately, which is something I couldn't really say a few years ago. I think Tina Fey is pretty sexy, but I never found her all that funny either. I think the show, overall, is back on track though.

I think Tina Fey is pretty sexy, but I never found her all that funny either.

Sexy might be a bit strong...she is attractive, though.

Her writing skills leave a LOT to be desired, however. I don't find 30 Rock all that funny, either (except for the always over-the-top Alec Baldwin).

Sexy might be a bit strong...she is attractive, though.

Her writing skills leave a LOT to be desired, however. I don't find 30 Rock all that funny, either (except for the always over-the-top Alec Baldwin).

I watched about 20 mins of 30 Rock and turned it off....didn't find it funny, amusing, interesting, or anything that involves some sort of emotional response. I really didn't care for her movie, either....Mean Girls, or whatever it was. I saw it cause the critics dug it, but I was disappointed. I thought her self indulgent speeches toward the end were pretty lame. but yeah, I think she's sexy lol

I watched about 20 mins of 30 Rock and turned it off....didn't find it funny, amusing, interesting, or anything that involves some sort of emotional response. I really didn't care for her movie, either....Mean Girls, or whatever it was. I saw it cause the critics dug it, but I was disappointed. I thought her self indulgent speeches toward the end were pretty lame. but yeah, I think she's sexy lol

Then why did you give this movie 4 out of 5 stars rating on Netflix?? :devil::lol:

Were you really expecting much from a Lindsay Lohan flick?

Lindsay Lohan when she was hot. rachael McAdams, and the other 3 were the only reasons I ever leave the movie on if its on.

Although Tim Meadows had his moments in it.

as for 30 rock, I'll watch it if I'm not doing anything, but the only times I ever laugh is usually because of Tracy Morgan. I hate alec Baldwin and wish he would leave comedy to people who can remotly do it (along with acting)

as for 30 rock, I'll watch it if I'm not doing anything, but the only times I ever laugh is usually because of Tracy Morgan.

Agree...and I never thought I'd say that.

I hate alec Baldwin and wish he would leave comedy to people who can remotly do it (along with acting)

Disagree. He cracks me up...and is a good actor.

Then why did you give this movie 4 out of 5 stars rating on Netflix?? :lol::lol:

That was the ex-wife who did that :devil: I'll have to change it!

Lindsay Lohan when she was hot. rachael McAdams, and the other 3 were the only reasons I ever leave the movie on if its on.

as for 30 rock, I'll watch it if I'm not doing anything, but the only times I ever laugh is usually because of Tracy Morgan. I hate alec Baldwin and wish he would leave comedy to people who can remotly do it (along with acting)

The ONLY reason I'd ever watch a Lindsay Lohan flick would be if she's either 1) naked, or 2) in a highly regarded flick. I just expected the movie to be better and got caught up in the tina fey hype....but I was disappointed.

I like 30 Rock ,and yes I think tina fey is a major piece of ass, Alec Baldwin fricking cracks me up as a comedic actor, and tracy morgan always makes me laugh...i like the show

Agree...and I never thought I'd say that.

Disagree. He cracks me up...and is a good actor.

SNL is consistently mediocre because they write a 1 hour-ish show and string it out to 1 and a half. All the funny skits go on about twice as long as they really should. I can't tell you how many times I laughed at the beginning of a skit then by halfway through had grown completely disinterested. Sometimes it seems like the show is run by funny people who have absolutely no faith in their audience so they repeat the same joke ad nauseam.

And I have no idea why anyone would ever think MADtv was funny. It's always seemed to me like Sketch Comedy for Dummies. The whole sketch comedy landscape has just been getting worse and worse since the demise of Mr. Show and Upright Citizens Brigade.

SNL is consistently mediocre because they write a 1 hour-ish show and string it out to 1 and a half. All the funny skits go on about twice as long as they really should. I can't tell you how many times I laughed at the beginning of a skit then by halfway through had grown completely disinterested. Sometimes it seems like the show is run by funny people who have absolutely no faith in their audience so they repeat the same joke ad nauseam.

And I have no idea why anyone would ever think MADtv was funny. It's always seemed to me like Sketch Comedy for Dummies. The whole sketch comedy landscape has just been getting worse and worse since the demise of Mr. Show and Upright Citizens Brigade.

Agree on your first point. SNL has always had a tendency to do that. Remember the skit where the word "penis" was uttered something like 50 times? And that was at least 16 years ago.

Mr. Show I liked...but I vehemently disagree on UCB. The only reason ever to watch that piece of crap was Amy Poehler, who now does "Weekend Update" on SNL. Interesting, huh?

I love 30 Rock so much that I want to take it behind the middle school and imprenated it. :worthy: (It's from last week's show).